Hide
9 Posts

The Others» Forums » General

Subject: does it feel incomplete? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Popov Victor
msg tools
hello! i have played in the past zombicide black plague and blood rage NON-kickstarted editions and i always felt when playing them that the games are missing the components from the kickstarter stretch goals (characters, items etc). the games felt very basic and simple.

does the others feel the same way if you buy the NON-kickstarted edition? and please don't tell me to just buy those things separately because the game already costst 100$

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always play the base game without the KS components the first few times. The Others played great and I did not feel like anything was missing. The KS stuff just adds variety, not unlike the other expansions already available. So you are not missing anything. Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game had one of the least amount of KS exclusives compared to the other games. It was more we got everything for 100 bucks kind of deal. But that being said there are some extra bad guys that add variety, the heroes, there are so many that I doubt I will every use them all. But if you are a completionist either back cmon games when they come out on KS or skip them at retail. Or get an extra mortgage go hunting on ebay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
... ...
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for the previous comments.

Backing the kickstarter was certainly great value but there is nothing essential amongst the kickstarter exclusives and the base box already offers a lot of variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really. You get a full squad and 2 sins along with the hellfire club. The team boxes are the best values IMO giving you more variety for the heroes. It reminds me of a lot of other $100 dungeon/skirmish games with an overlord. Just enough heroes in the base game and the expansions add more. The 7 scenarios are pretty varied as well and due to the choices more replayable than a typical dungeon crawler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say the CMON games are basic and simple even with all the kickstarter extras thrown in.

What you get is variety to cope with the basic and simple.

The others is a more robust game, but oddly enough this is one for me in which variety benefits it the most. If i hadn't the kickstarter extras I would certainly already sold the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't even that much KS exclusive stuff in this game.

Most of the expansions will be available in retail. Of course, you do have to buy all the sin expansion packs seperately. The KS backers got them as part of the stretch goals, which was great value for sure.

Anyways, let's take a look at the exclusives, the stuff you are missing out on.

There are 13 exclusive player characters, but when you get all the expansions, you will have 29 player characters to choose from, which should be more then enough.

Then you have 6 exclusive map tiles, compared to the 29 you can get in retail, that does not seem much of an issue at all.

And there are the two exclusive monsters, The Mayor and Nicolas, which seem to be fairly unique. Dunno how much they add to the game, but those are likely the biggest loss compared to a KS version of the game.

So, all in all, I believe the retail version of this game will be just fine.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zinho73 wrote:
I would say the CMON games are basic and simple even with all the kickstarter extras thrown in.

What you get is variety to cope with the basic and simple.

The others is a more robust game, but oddly enough this is one for me in which variety benefits it the most. If i hadn't the kickstarter extras I would certainly already sold the game.

There are only a handful of exclusives, as others have said, and you can find them cheap on ebay these days. Too many scalpers flooded the market, hardly making their base pledge back. That's what I like to see!

But as Emivaldo said, CMON games are pretty simplistic by nature. Black Plague gets... characters with some really minor abilities and a couple abominations that do slightly different things from the other abominations. Blood Rage gets a few monsters. They're fun, but extremely light.

The Others is similar in terms of exclusives; minor character abilities, and a couple types of acolytes. While not exclusive, but to emphasize how CMON approaches balance, each sin is the same as the other except for a passive ability and six cards.

B-Sieged, characters started with a particular ability tile, but any other character could get that tile too.

Of all the games where you're actually missing out of you don't have exclusives, Rum and Bones is it. Those characters are all very unique, do things no one else does.

If you want something heavier, seek a different company, for sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
There are 2 different answers, depending on whether you're talking about the exclusive kickstarter stuff, or talking about all of the extra stuff that came with the kickstarter.

The exclusive stuff is not essential, and there wasn't much of it. You aren't missing anything significant.

If you are asking about the basic game (core box, no add ons), than I think it is still a very strong game, but would lack some variety. Adding on just one hero box would go a LONG way. Since the game comes with 2 sins and sets of acolytes, as well as 7 different missions, the sins player has a decent amount of variety, but the heroes will be using the same 7 in every game. Adding a few to mix things up will really extend the number of times you can play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.