Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Lawrence
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious, what do folks generally look for in a how to play video?

Do you prefer a how to play video that is short; providing a quick description of set up and overview of key rules?

Do you prefer the video to provide a detailed walk through of the rules, even if it means for a longer video?

Do you prefer the rules to be taught at a quick clip, even if it means you have to periodically pause the video to follow along with set-up etc. real time? Or do you prefer a more methodical pace, that can allow you to follow along with set-up real time?

For a really complicated game, are you more likely to just read a rule book or watch a how to play video? What about for a light game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hanratty
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really do How to Play videos, but the few times I have I've gone for the shorter, snappier ones, more to get an overview of how the game is played and not for any minor details. I avoid any that are longer than a few minutes if possible, and if someone starts giving their life story I'll turn it off and look for another one.

I'll always read the rulebook anyway, and maybe consult a video if I'm not sure about something. Even then, I'd look on the game forums here first - reading is faster.

I've just realised I sound really impatient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch Rodney on Watch It Played. That's how it should be done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Editing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
texascpa wrote:

Pretty much. I might catch some flak on this but I 100% think Rodney's way is perfect, whilst RickyRoyal's (I think that's his name) videos are literally impossible to watch IMO... 5+ hours to explain Mage Knight? Ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Lawrence
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
texascpa wrote:

Thanks, but what in particular do you like about his presentation? Why do you prefer him over someone like Rhado or Jon Gets Games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Asher
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LaborLawLarry wrote:
texascpa wrote:

Thanks, but what in particular do you like about his presentation? Why do you prefer him over someone like Rhado or Jon Gets Games?

Rodney is concise. Rahdo says everything that pops into his head.
Rodney is accurate. Rahdo frequently states rules incorrectly and misplays.
Rodney reserves his opinion, allowing the viewer to form their own based on the game itself. Rahdo basically invented the hype train.

But mostly Rodney is concise.

Edit: Paul Grogan is my other choice if I'm going to watch a how to play video rather than a review. For all the same reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing: Know the rules! Don't learn them on camera. There's a few games out there where there's only one video, and they are figuring the game out as they record. Seriously?

Rodney is an excellent example of how to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LaborLawLarry wrote:
texascpa wrote:

Rahdo is like watching over someone's shoulder while they play and them giving you a running commentary on what and why they are making the plays they make. It's great to get a good feel for how the game flows and how the mechanics work together as well as some ideas on how to score points/win the game. Works great to get an idea of what the game is like in play.

Rodney does a fantastic job of displaying all the components in a set-up manner, explains what each player needs and does and goes through the rules very logically and clearly. He doesn't rush his words, he reserves personal judgement, and he speaks very clearly. He explains scoring and end game conditions. I don't want to say he gives a clinical presentation but he gives a very slick, produced, and understandable explanation of the rules and game play.

I've said it previously when I want a great overview of game flow and mechanics I'll watch Rahdo but when I want to understand the game rules I will always pick Rodney. Both excellent guys that give a lot of time and effort with different goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LaborLawLarry wrote:
texascpa wrote:

Neither Rahdo nor Jon make how to play videos, they film run throughs.

Rodney and Paul are the gold standard. They're clear, concise and thorough. There's a reason Portal hired Paul to re-write the rule book for their new edition of Robinson Crusoe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Luxton
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's a lighter game I won't bother with a video. If it's a a game with weight ratings 3ish and above then I want something that gets the rules right as concisely but comprehensively as possible. I want clear graphics supporting the audio, stable cameras and a decent speed of delivery without rushing.

Rodney and Paul Grogan are the exmplars of how to do it. Of course Paul has an advantage when it comes to accuracy as he often wrote the rules as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beelzeben wrote:
LaborLawLarry wrote:
texascpa wrote:

Rodney is concise. Rahdo says everything that pops into his head.
Rodney is accurate. Rahdo frequently states rules incorrectly and misplays.
Rodney reserves his opinion, allowing the viewer to form their own based on the game itself. Rahdo basically invented the hype train.

But mostly Rodney is concise.

Edit: Paul Grogan is my other choice if I'm going to watch a how to play video rather than a review. For all the same reasons.

Couldn't have said it any better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Rodney's videos useless. He just recites the rules. I can read the rules.

For all the sometimes fumbling, Rhado offers a glimpse into how the game actually plays, and what the choices you're likely to encounter are. That's something you can't necessarily get just by reading the rules.

Pete (watches Rhado sometimes, but has no use for Rodney)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I find them both useful.

I can read the rules, but at any one time, I've got several games that I am learning. So, it's nice to put on a Rodney video and get the gist before I crack the rules. For some games, the video alone is enough to get me up and playing.

I also find Rodney great for refreshers. For example, I hadn't played Eminent Domain in over a year, so I just watched Rodney's video, and I'm good to go.

I can then follow it up with a Rhado video for a full picture of how the game plays if I want.

If I try to learn a game from Rhado, I usually read the rules first and then watch the playthrough. (I do the opposite with Rodney.) I couldn't get the flow of Ulm after reading the rules a few times, for example, so I watched the Rhado playthrough and it made everything clear.

I think a huge difference is that Rhado is clear that he isn't teaching you the rules while that is Rodney's stated purpose. So, taking them both on their own terms, I find them useful resources for what I might need at a given moment.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Carlsen
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
badge
Tri-City Area Gaming
mbmbmbmb
Brevity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:
Quote:

I find them both useful.

I can read the rules, but at any one time, I've got several games that I am learning. So, it's nice to put on a Rodney video and get the gist before I crack the rules. For some games, the video alone is enough to get me up and playing.

I also find Rodney great for refreshers. For example, I hadn't played Eminent Domain in over a year, so I just watched Rodney's video, and I'm good to go.

I can then follow it up with a Rhado video for a full picture of how the game plays if I want.

If I try to learn a game from Rhado, I usually read the rules first and then watch the playthrough. (I do the opposite with Rodney.) I couldn't get the flow of Ulm after reading the rules a few times, for example, so I watched the Rhado playthrough and it made everything clear.

I think a huge difference is that Rhado is clear that he isn't teaching you the rules while that is Rodney's stated purpose. So, taking them both on their own terms, I find them useful resources for what I might need at a given moment.

Kevin

I suppose it depends on the kind of learner you are. I was subscribed to Rodney for some time, but I ultimately unsubscribed. What he offers, I can get faster and more effectively from a rulebook. But rulebooks put some people straight to sleep, so I get where his appeal lies.

It's also undeniably true that understanding the rules of a game is easier if the game is already set up and on the table, and Rodney does that for you.

Pete (simply found himself "skipping" most of Rodney's videos and so he removed them from his queue)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been watching Tom "Slickerdrips" Heath more than anyone else lately. He focuses on solo games and doesn't do rules explanations, but he does an excellent job describing why he's making each choice during his play throughs. His YouTube channel as at the top of my subscription list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.