Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Without going into a huge thread about game design history, I'll summarize.

DOOM 1 - DOOM the Boardgame.
Introduced a cool new dice system, and had great 1vAll gameplay, customizable boards

DOOM 2 - Descent: Journeys in the Dark.
Kept the dice system, added more complexity, fantasy retheme. Added campaign.

DOOM 3 - Descent 2nd edition.
Streamlined DOOM 2, kept the dice system, slightly updated.

DOOM 4 - Star Wars: Imperial Assault.
Great campaign, important change to dice system. Adds Skirmish play for the Tournament scene.

DOOM 5 - DOOM: The Board Game
Ditches the dice. Completely ditches the dice system that was so revolutionary when first designed. So revolutionary that they kept it for the next 3 iterations.

And it works! We've come full circle. Roll dice, add pips. Draw card, subtract from pips.

Fewer options for the marine players on any given turn makes for faster turns and less AP for the good guys.

Fewer corridor map tiles, making for denser maps than previous iterations, gets more out of the table space.

Throughout, there's a sense of intentionally limiting player options to decrease turn time.

While I find the game still takes about as long as previous versions, the reduced AP makes for a faster feeling game.

The simplicity can be deceptive. The Marines are easy to play, the Invaders have a learning curve.

It can appear unbalanced, but take the time to learn to play the Invader before making that judgment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is really great.

Descent 2e is one of my favorite board games. Doom is a very different and very fun beast than its siblings.

I've also played a lot of Imperial Assault. Doom has the potential to be mechanically better and more enjoyable than both... yet remaining different enough to allow all three to exist as options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Andersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mournful wrote:
It can appear unbalanced, but take the time to learn to play the Invader before making that judgment.

Yup, it feels like an insurmountable task to get 6 frags at first, but I know I just have to learn how the demons and Invader cards pair up and some better tactics. Also the Infestation card favors the Marine as they sorta control when you can spawn demons, so they can leisurely pick health packs and weapons before triggering a new spawn.

That being said, even if I only managed to get 2 frags, the marine players still felt threatened and the combat still felt intense, so it was still a fun game. I just can't wait till I get good enough at the Invader to have chance of winning too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought the idea and core experience behind Descent and Imperial Assault were great but my main gripe was how fidgety and drawn-out the combat resolution could get and how spread out a lot of the information was. DOOM does such an incredible job in not only re-approaching the players' decision-space but also cleaning up the resolution mechanisms that it now feels like a proper "action" game. It moves like greased lightning compared to it's predecessors!

Not everyone will agree (and that's fine, not my job) but I love the static attack range (no more Range/Accuracy calculations), the removal of Surges/Evades (one less wrinkle to worry about) and the use of cards and unit-specific results for defense instead of dice. I love the use of cards to represent the marines' options each round and how much that emphasizes the importance of putting good synergies into their decks.

The whole thing just comes across as an evolution of design in the best sense, using the ideas that make the game fun but trimming the stuff that slows down the action. I may come across as "gushing" (and, fair enough, maybe I am a little) but this has been one of the most pleasant surprises and exciting experiences I've had in board gaming in easily the last 2 years. DOOM has been a serious home run for me and I'm just itching to get deeper into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well said!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
mournful wrote:

Did you do your research?
Not true, in maybe no regards. It has a lot of resemblance but did reduce complexity (A LOT), did add a small/shallow campaign compared to the existing Advanced Campaign and it did change a lot about the dice system (some to the better, some to the worse). It also took away the one-offs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Webhead123 wrote:

Not everyone will agree (and that's fine, not my job) but I love the static attack range (no more Range/Accuracy calculations), the removal of Surges/Evades (one less wrinkle to worry about)

That's an interesting observation. I will think more about this , thanks for pointing out.

May I ask... can you then shoot through 3 rooms as long as you have line of sight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
True Player for Real
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ionas wrote:
Webhead123 wrote:

Not everyone will agree (and that's fine, not my job) but I love the static attack range (no more Range/Accuracy calculations), the removal of Surges/Evades (one less wrinkle to worry about)

That's an interesting observation. I will think more about this , thanks for pointing out.

May I ask... can you then shoot through 3 rooms as long as you have line of sight?

No. Each attack has a designated range. If you are within that range you automatically hit and just roll damage and flip a defense card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
You still have to count spaces and determine LOS.
I thought more of unlimited range or easy to count...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ionas wrote:
mournful wrote:

Did you do your research?
Not true, in maybe no regards. It has a lot of resemblance but did reduce complexity (A LOT), did add a small/shallow campaign compared to the existing Advanced Campaign and it did change a lot about the dice system (some to the better, some to the worse). It also took away the one-offs.

My research involved playing it, so yes.

Like I said, it's a short summary.

But, the dice system changed but kept many of the same elements, which is a more complex answer than my summary was intended for.

I disagree on the complexity, I'm referring to the campaign and larger elements. I remember Descent 1 as more of a series of adventures and less of a continuing journey of campaign development. There's a lot of stuff added for Descent 2, and that increases complexity. Perhaps not in the way you were thinking of.

Again, I was intending to avoid this debate with the disclaimer about this not being a long discussion on the history of game design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.