Subject: Have you played with hidden alliances yet? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Rodger
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think that was the official name of the option, right?

I played a four-player game which included someone who had never played Cosmic Encounter before. Largely I think the hidden aspect added to the game and I'm glad I picked it up. It's hard to say just how it improved things, but basically we weren't gaming alliances the way we usually do. It made the whole thing a bit more dynamic. Although the part of me that dislikes change was bothered. All in all, it will probably become a default style of play for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Searles
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had the chance to play with it yet but just based on what I know about it I know it will be adopted as the default way to play as soon as I get Cosmic Eons.

The traditional alliance system is just not new player friendly and leads to a lot of gamesmanship and over inviting.

We use a variant I call "Limited Alliances" right now and it works great to both speed up the alliance process and reduce the number of excess allies.

Limited Alliances Variant:
Starting with the player to the left of the offense, each other non-main player may offer to ally with one of either the offense or the defense. If the offer is accepted, the allying player sends 1 to 4 ships to the chosen side. If the offer is declined, proceed to the next player in turn order until all non-main players have had the opportunity to offer to ally. (Some aliens do not play well with this variant, use caution when selecting your Alien power.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
no law on ceres.... just cops.
badge
i keep warning you. doors and corners, kid. that's where they get you.
mbmbmbmbmb
crasher wrote:

Limited Alliances Variant:
Starting with the player to the left of the offense, each other non-main player may offer to ally with one of either the offense or the defense. If the offer is accepted, the allying player sends 1 to 4 ships to the chosen side. If the offer is declined, proceed to the next player in turn order until all non-main players have had the opportunity to offer to ally. (Some aliens do not play well with this variant, use caution when selecting your Alien power.)

This is basically how it works in Game of Thrones: The Iron Throne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also do Limited AND Hidden Alliances. Do the Limited thing you describe above, but all players make their bids simultaneously with their alliance dials, then the main players can choose to accept or reject their offers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RARodger wrote:
but basically we weren't gaming alliances the way we usually do.

I haven't tried it yet, but that worries me. The alliances have always been the core of the game play for me. One of the things I like with the traditional rules was the gradual reveal of information as players join or decline in order from the current player. Frequently the last players to commit will have the ability to control somewhat the actions of the earlier players. Usually, this takes the form of "If you don't commit 4 ships then I can't promise I'll join in." Also gives an opportunity for some wonderful backstabbing.

I can see it making the game easier for new players, though. Looking forward to trying it soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
And of course there's zero backstabbing with the dials. None what-so-ever. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Allie
United States
Bolivar
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I Was Geeky When Geeky Wasn't Cool
mbmbmbmbmb
We played one game with the dials. 4 player. With only two players max ever being invited to ally, we often didn't even have to use them. If nothing else, they force you to follow the proper turn structure closely, which is a good thing. I can see them being far more useful in a 5+ player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.