Jamie K
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Awaiting Command...
badge
(Not A Bot)
mbmbmb
Has any tried playing with just 3 ghostbusters for 3 player?

I know the rules say that a fourth ghostbuster should still be added and played by the players, but i don't know...

I would much rather just each of the 3 players play 1 buster. I know this will make the game a bit harder, but is it doable? most of what I've seen seems to imply the game is on the easy side anyway.

anyone try? or any opinions?

thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game starts out easy, but the difficulty grows with the later missions. You could try playing with only three Ghostbusters if you want to, but I expect that you will run into issues with balancing.

Having less than four Ghostbusters, means that you will have less actions per round, which will increase the difficulty of the game. Also, be aware that some ghosts can only be trapped using streams from all four Ghostbusters (e.g. Stay Puft).

Less Ghostbusters also means that you miss out on the missing character's special abilities (Winston's free ghost deposit, or Ray's ability to remove a slime from himself for free, etc), and perhaps most importantly, their Level 5 ability that applies to all characters on the team. These abilities are particularly important in later missions of a particular campaign.

That said, feel free to try it out if you're interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sheppard
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can play 2 busters per player. Remove a few level 1 ghosts and replace them with a few more level 2s and 3s to balance it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie K
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Awaiting Command...
badge
(Not A Bot)
mbmbmb
Thanks for the insights.

We tried two things.

We played the first campaign/first scenario as normal with just 3 ghostbusters. seemed to go fine, but yeah, the event die was rolling way too often. Since it was just the 1st scenario, we went thru it no problem, but I could see how it would be a problem as soon as it got a bit tougher.

So for rest of the first campaign, we still played 3 ghostbusters, but only rolled the event die after every four ghostbusters turns. This had the nice effect that each one of us got to take turns handling the event phase.

The game seemed to stay in balance, the only thing hindering us was that we were missing one of the ghostbusters level 5 effects for later in the game.

We did move thru all the scenario without too much trouble, it seemed like the normal difficulty the game should of been. The last scenario of the frist campaign was a bit challenging and we almost did loose it, but i think that was due to too many bad rolls more than missing a fourth buster.

We plan on trying it again this way for the next campaigns, and we all liked it. None of us were keen on one of us running two ghostbusters or even rotating control of an extra ghostbuster. So this worked for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad it worked out for you!

Yes, that reminds me that the rules for playing with more than 4 players also suggested rolling the event die after every 4th players turn, so that should maintain the balance there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.