Aki Järvi-Eskola
Finland
Helsinki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
It's a pad of sticky notes!
mbmbmbmbmb
So I got the game today, and I read the rules and played a few practicw rounds against myself. After rereading some rules and threads here at BGG, tgere's one thing that bothers me:

Why the game provides 21 Frag Tokens, when even 5 (or 6) would've sufficed? Since all missions are played to 6 Marine Frags.

At first I thought that maybe you'd need to frag a single Marine six times (that'd require "4 marines" * "5 Frag Tokens" + "1 winning Frag Token"), but that's not true:

Frag Token wrote:
The invader gains one frag token each time a marine is fragged.

I skimmed over the cards too but didn't find any hints on to this peculiar token count.

Maybe it's just future proofing. Or I have missed something, maybe even obvious. If latter, I'd like to know so that I know the rules. If former, I'm gonna feel real silly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Andersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
I was wondering the same thing myself, I guess it may be for expansion content. But more likely it is just to give more options, the game can already be modified in a number of ways, so why not some sort of mega dungeon where the invadader has to get many more frags or an operation where you tally up the frags each mission and win at 21 as the invader. Maybe even a variant where the marines gets frags in some way instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony S
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be useful for a Deathmatch variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ying
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
NulEnvoid wrote:

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fancymancer wrote:
NulEnvoid wrote:

whistle

Really excited to find out more about this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
darkranex wrote:
Fancymancer wrote:
NulEnvoid wrote:

whistle

PvP was a big part of the expansion for the previous Doom. Coupled with Mr. Ying's emoji, I would be very surprised if they didn't add it in the inevitable expansion.

So that's something to look forward to!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
darkranex wrote:
Fancymancer wrote:
NulEnvoid wrote:

whistle

Or!

Take any map, replace all teleporters with portals, alternating colors. Put the other portals in a bag or cup, and when spawning, draw a portal to see which color you can spawn in on.

Start players at either end of the map or at random portals to start. No classes. Draft basic weapons.

Play to 5.

That should be a good start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aki Järvi-Eskola
Finland
Helsinki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
It's a pad of sticky notes!
mbmbmbmbmb
mournful wrote:
That should be a good start.

I've heard that the DOOM videogame's multiplayer has players playing as demons from time to time. I haven't played the videogame yet, so I don't fully know how that works. But, the idea sounds fascinating, and it would be interesting to see how that could be translated to this boardgame's deathmatch mode (speaking also of the still speculative official deathmatch mode)

In the meantime, I'll stop worrying about the number of frag tokens and learn how to best actually obtain them during the play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.