Hide
6 Posts

Disc Duelers» Forums » Variants

Subject: Jenga tower as a terrain feature? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Muchacho
msg tools
I don't have my copy yet, but I was just reading the rules and my imagination was piqued when they mentioned the potential for destructible terrain features, traps, etc. My mind went to Jenga, and I'm envisioning an Indiana Jones crumbling-temple type scenario.

Just off the top of my head: place the tower in the centre of the table, with an item crate next to it; all discs enter from the same side of the table, opposite the crate; the goal is to collect the crate and get out safely; if you hit the character currently holding the crate, you steal the crate; each turn, the active play must remove a block from the Jenga tower. When it falls, of course, it just damages everyone that it hits as per usual.

Can anyone speak to the plausibility of this idea? Would it be fun? I've never played the game, I don't know if this wouldn't work for some reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pax domina
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The discs are small and would have to hit the tower with a really strong force to knock them down because they are very lightweight relative to jenga blocks.

So, either a very precariously balanced tower would need to be used or, better yet, a tower of lighter materials. Otherwise, the idea is a really solid one!

Have fun. It's a really fun game for creative people like yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
We used Jenga blocks in the development of this game a lot. A disc can move one block a bit, but couldn't topple the tower. The best configuration is to build a "Stonehenge" of sorts, where the discs can kick out a leg and collapse portions of the structure onto opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Cooley
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the idea was to penalize someone who hit the tower by making them move a block jenga style to the top. So playing Jenga and disc duelers simultaneously

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Marano
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of the wooden figures in Junk Art would probably work quite well.
They are quite light. And it's a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Muchacho
msg tools
Kyokai wrote:
We used Jenga blocks in the development of this game a lot. A disc can move one block a bit, but couldn't topple the tower. The best configuration is to build a "Stonehenge" of sorts, where the discs can kick out a leg and collapse portions of the structure onto opponents.

Thank you for the idea. I'm excited to try something like this when it comes.

And, by the way, thanks for the insane holiday gift. I hadn't known about this game otherwise. Makes me inclined to be a repeat customer.

benstylus wrote:
I think the idea was to penalize someone who hit the tower by making them move a block jenga style to the top. So playing Jenga and disc duelers simultaneously

That was pretty much my initial thought, that part of each player's turn was removing a block and putting it on top. I see now we would need to make sure the game goes long enough to put the tower in danger of collapse, or use something lighter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.