United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wireframes for the Promotional Cards are provided here. You can provide us with feedback. I am going to start play testing here.

The Schemes are being discussed in this thread:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1694726/schemes-goblin-...

Like I said before the Schemes are not guaranteed part of the pack, but if they are included they will be beyond the 18 cards being offered as a bonus.

The three items for the Thief are a new idea we are trying. We might throw it in or we might save it for The Frozen Fear. To use it the Thief draws one at the start of the game and removes the other 2 from play. The Thief can reveal and play the card as an upgrade.

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B8xlQYyEm7zMcFVN...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Promo cards
-----------
Light Helm: The knight gets to see the tile before deciding whether to trade for the top cave tile?

========================================================

Final thoughts
--------------
Wow, I didn't think the game could get better, but those promo cards look awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
stoneleaf wrote:
Light Helm: The knight gets to see the tile before deciding whether to trade for the top cave tile?
Correct. It's basically a mulligan, so if you don't like the tile you just flipped up you can swap it for a new random tile, with a small penalty.

Note that the Helm and most of the other new treasures do not have cube spots, meaning they're always active and/or always available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Fronts Only" file is set up for anyone that wants to print them off quickly and make paste-ups or mount them individually using the card backs from the main PNP folder.

The "Back-to-Back" file has the cards spaced out with instructions on which sheets to use if you want to print both sides of the cards directly. I've found that if you print them that way, run them through a laminator, and then stick them in sleeves, they're almost indistinguishable from actual cards that have been sleeved - there's just a minor color variation depending on what you used to print them.

Also, there's a block of text on the bottom of the last page in the "Fronts Only" file that should be ignored. It was a remnant of a copy&paste from something else, but I won't be able to fix that file until early next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warlock's Wand
--------------
Is the last option (you gain +2 thievery (actions)) a side-effect of the other options, or can the thief target himself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stoneleaf wrote:
Warlock's Wand
--------------
Is the last option (you gain +2 thievery (actions)) a side-effect of the other options, or can the thief target himself?
Currently that's an effect of targeting himself. That particular effect may still get changed or removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just uploaded a new copy of the promo card file. Most of the changes are minor or cosmetic so if you're already printed them you don't necessarily need to make another set right away.

Notable Changes: (Rev 01-05-17)
Short Rest (Sidequest) now gives only 1 Grit per cube. This makes it less of an "automatic" thing to do at the end of a turn when you're running out of other stuff to do, and it's less of a big jump if you get it early in the game (especially in your initial draw). You have to actually take a short rest to get a good value out of it.

Warlock's Wand (Thief) has had its text clarified to make the +2 Actions option make more sense.

Slingshot (Secrets) now has a second copy included, with it set up as a Scheme instead of just an ordinary Secrets card. The function of the Scheme version may change slightly in the future, but for now they're the same, so if you're printing a new set, only include one of them in your deck.

I've added dates to the files (and will continue to do so in the future) so it's easier to keep track of which version you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wowie
msg tools
mbmbmb
So I went into this a bit in another thread, but I suppose I'll mention it here in a more clearly-worded manner in a style like my other wip-feedback posts:

The new items are all cool, but a lot of them feel like specialized tools like the corkscrew and wire-cutters and stuff, when sometimes the Knight just wants a hammer. It becomes easier for the Cave to restrict the Knight from getting a "hammer" with every new card added to the stack that doesn't provide any stats. In the core game, letting the Knight touch treasure is always dangerous, even if she usually never gets the exact thing she was looking for, because it would usually increase her power beyond what her cube allotment normally allows if kept. More expansion items could give stats, or stat+effect, in exchange for a cube cost. Cubeless items are cool, but their powers have to be limited, and they usually don't involve giving stats. Most core-game items interact with the Knight's action-economy in some way, or in the case of the Enchanted Bow, hurt someone else's action economy. As for individual items...

Cursed Amulet is a favorite. It speeds up the game for both the Knight and the Goblins, but also has a hidden cube cost in the form of needing to keep defenses up to make extended use of it. The Cave tends to like it as well for the reason of forcing the Knight to be more cautious and spend extra cubes on defense if she takes it, so it sees play often and the Knight still appreciates the psuedo-free "Pixie Lantern". The Dragon has to wake up and move more with all the mobility it affords the Knight. It ratchets up the intensity of the game for everyone whenever it's kept, and that's fun.

Light Helm is great in Caveless and Solo games, giving you a small measure of influence over the tiles you encounter, but less so in games with a Cave due to the "give the Cave an omen" rider effect. The Cave tries to feed this item to the Knight whenever it can, and the Knight always turns it down, because it's like having an extra Crystal on the board.

Editing this one in: Scrying Eye is cool but it doesn't help you kill the Dragon, so it usually goes in the bin unless your goal is Crystal-hunting. Keeping it is just one more item for the Thief to lift anyway, in games where the Thief is included.

This card has already been finalized and released, but, I hope we don't see more cards like Treasure Trove. For the Knight to see it is like getting denied a cool item, getting a "mere" 3 grit as a consolation prize if she decides to keep it rather than trashing it, which usually happens when the entrance isn't immediately accessible.

Rune staff is expensive to use, but it's the only way to increase the number of walls you can bypass per turn beyond 3 (and the Dragon can bypass 4 walls in 1 turn at the cost of a single card). If there's a large section of gridlocked tiles, it's a harsh but necessary item, used sparingly like an extra Ancient Map slot.

~

Thief upgrades are a fun addition to the game, and I've never had them break the game yet, adding variety to how the Thief is played but never influencing his power level too far above or below the norm. The optimal strategy for getting the most out of them seems to be buying the "mystery upgrade" first (you can't look at the face down card because it doesn't say you can, right?), then building the rest of your build around them. Buying it late after you've already got some upgrades tends to result in disappointment as you get an item that doesn't synergize with your build.

Going with the more standard build of starting with +1 Stealth->Climbing Gear->+Whatever (and ignoring the Upgrade) is also still a frequently taken option taken around half the time. Generic +1 Stat upgrades still are the most generically useful Thief upgrades since only a few Thief upgrades (Evasion, Crossbow, Climbing Gear) provide something that the Thief can't do just by having better stats. Raising the stat caps tends to be more important than raising the stat minimums as well, and +1 to 2 out of 3 stats enables more flexible Stat Token placement anyway.

-Charm is a fun item. Usually it's used to enable a "free" Pickpocket, but having the Thief do something that isn't screwing someone else over is cool.
-Warlock's wand isn't drawn often, because luck, but it feels like you should be using the first 3-4 charges fast if you can. The wand lasts longer than you think, and the game is shorter than you think. Always keep some extra power in reserve, though, for when you need to clutch the finish. Works both as a self-boost and as a "screw the leader" item.
-Cloak of the Mountebank completely changes the way you play Thief. Instead of +1 Stealth (and as a result, 5 max Stealth) being the go-to Thief upgrade, you can actually keep Stealth un-upgraded and go for a more unconventional build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xWowie wrote:
Light Helm is great in Caveless and Solo games, giving you a small measure of influence over the tiles you encounter, but less so in games with a Cave due to the "give the Cave an omen" rider effect. The Cave tries to feed this item to the Knight whenever it can, and the Knight always turns it down, because it's like having an extra Crystal on the board.

Editing this one in: Scrying Eye is cool but it doesn't help you kill the Dragon, so it usually goes in the bin unless your goal is Crystal-hunting. Keeping it is just one more item for the Thief to lift anyway, in games where the Thief is included.
Outside of specific setups or situations these two haven't been as appealing as others, so one thing we've been looking at doing is making them cost a cube, but having them provide a more standard benefit in addition to their effect. Scrying Eye for example would add +1 Perception and the Helm might provide movement, similar to how the Gauntlet adds Strength.

The idea being that most treasures would be worth roughly 1.5 cubes, to make them worthwhile but not absolutely essential. This is partly why the revised Boots is reduced down to 3 movement from the original 4.

Quote:
Rune staff is expensive to use, but it's the only way to increase the number of walls you can bypass per turn beyond 3 (and the Dragon can bypass 4 walls in 1 turn at the cost of a single card). If there's a large section of gridlocked tiles, it's a harsh but necessary item, used sparingly like an extra Ancient Map slot.
I've found this one to be very useful in the later stages of the game when you've got a nice supply of Grit built up, or you're holding on to a few sidequests that would complete instantly or require minimal effort, so you can offset the losses immediately. It's especially potent when chasing a Unicorn.

Quote:
Thief upgrades are a fun addition to the game, and I've never had them break the game yet, adding variety to how the Thief is played but never influencing his power level too far above or below the norm. The optimal strategy for getting the most out of them seems to be buying the "mystery upgrade" first (you can't look at the face down card because it doesn't say you can, right?), then building the rest of your build around them.
The Thief player is allowed to look at the card before buying the upgrade.

You could even start the game with it face up if you wanted, but keeping it face down until selecting it retains some mystery for the other players.

Quote:
-Charm is a fun item. Usually it's used to enable a "free" Pickpocket, but having the Thief do something that isn't screwing someone else over is cool.
Fun fact - Up until the very late in the Thief's design, Charm was actually one of his standard abilities. The effects were different so that it almost a mirror image of backstab, but the overall concept of helping other players was similar. That version mostly just helped the other player without doing anything for the Thief so it rarely got used and eventually it got replaced by the Loot Drops and Evasion ability, but when we decided to give the Thief these extra cards it was the first thing we thought of adding.

This way works much better than the old version - the effects on other players are toned down a bit and there's a much more direct benefit to the Thief, so it is worth using more frequently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wowie
msg tools
mbmbmb
I like what I'm hearing. :) These two items felt like they were worth "half a cube" rather than "a cube and a half". We play with 5 players a lot as well (occasionally 6 when we're feeling adventurous), so Perception items tend to be the easiest to hold onto with a Thief running around.

@Rune Staff: Knight tends to be the most brutal role at our table, with Grit in correspondingly short supply. We're finally starting to understand the finer points of the Knight metagame though, so we'll see what happens!

@Looking at Upgrades: That's nice to know, and might boost playtime of Upgrades a bit - which is fun, 'cause they're cool! It didn't explicitly say in the Upgrade rules, and I generally play by an "if it doesn't say it, you can't do it" reading and teach others the same way.

Cool fun fact about Charm!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I came by to say all the same things.

I still think the deck is a bit think with both the Scrying and Light. I could see axing one of the two.

As far as the Hoard goes you could always just remove it from the deck. I can't stop you.

Charm was just so rarely used and it was a little complicated. I feel like this works better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wowie
msg tools
mbmbmb
Eh, Treasure Trove is alright just as long as there's a low chance of pulling it and cards like it. Not everything needs to be good... just most things. P: That and there's that odd super-niche situation where it's actually good, just like any of the other "weak" items. I think it's mostly because our Caves aggressively block off the entrance that it ends up so low value, and that it's probably a better card in Caveless games.

On the topic of thick decks, if the Treasure deck gets any thicker then there might need to be a way for the Knight to thin the deck a bit before the game starts, or else just start dealing Treasure differently like you mentioned in the other thread, which I also liked the idea of. Otherwise you can't have any more new Treasure once the deck gets past a certain size, and new cards are one of the easiest ways to expand the game and keep it fresh. Idea: since the original deck of Treasure is 7 cards, and there's now nearly 14: Shuffle the deck and cut it into 2 different decks. The Knight gets to choose which deck gets used before the game starts (without the Cave knowing what's in either deck) and shuffled again so the Knight doesn't know the order? Still maintains randomness and doesn't let the Knight cherry-pick perfect cards, but is enough of a choice to stop her from getting screwed over before the game even begins.

While on the topic of Knight cards, Noble Failure tends to be a dead sidequest outside of the early game when your cubes are still super limited and you're likely to complete it "naturally". Messing up an attack is expensive. The Dragonless version I can't comment on, but at a glance it seems pretty okay though, since passing up a Crystal attack doesn't send the Crystal to the opposite end of the map, and it's a helpful card if you're behind. It feels like Noble Failure could trigger just slightly easier for the Dragon version, somehow. Idea: let it trigger even if the Knight doesn't have enough Strength to do damage at all, as long as she still uses a Bomb/makes an Attack attempt? It wouldn't break the card since again, passing up what would be a successful attack is expensive, but it'd make it more useful for a Knight that's fallen behind and needs a leg-up.

Short Rest is good, and can be played multiple different ways, either just getting it out of your hand with 1-2 cubes to look for a different sidequest, or devoting a turn to completing it and getting a bigger Grit boost (a nice option if you weren't anywhere close to achieving a Dragon attack that turn anyway). It sits around the middle of the pack, maybe slightly ahead, as far as sidquests go, and it's well-flavored too. Gotta love that subtle D&D reference as well.

~

Since I haven't mentioned the new Goblin cards yet, they're all pretty neat, pretty useful, and most of them are balanced, although Cave Mushrooms might be overtuned. Cave Mushrooms often gets used as "Hiding Spots Plus", first revealing, then attacking, then revealing again, or "reveal, do random helpful action (special/plunder/etc), attack". Maybe it could use 1 less action or some rider effect that offsets the benefit it gives a bit, though the concept of the card is great and I like the "trade 1 action with 3 tribes for 3 actions with 1 tribe" dynamic.

Meat seems odd since it feels like the card should stay on the table with the token, but it technically doesn't. I can see why, though, because it's too crowded already for even 1 extra line of text. As for the effect itself, it's easy to miss the "may" wording that makes it a reusable spawnpoint. The "may" in both places could be bolded or something. Sometimes backfires by attracting the Dragon to a newly-spawned Tribe, but that's part of the fun. :)

Slingshot is like a free mini-Scheme, but it's hard to take advantage of so it's cool when it does work. Doesn't hurt you to keep it either even if you don't get around to using it, since again, it's a mini-Scheme and doesn't restrict your Secret hand just by existing.

Ground Kraken is a pretty cool monster with a pretty straightforward effect. Make sure everyone knows that pre-collapse tiles (that aren't Crystals) are returned to the stack though otherwise people will be afraid to use it. That last bit could probably be FAQ'd later since Cave in and Wrath are mentioned in the official rules, but it's technically not applied generically across all tile-destruction cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wowie
msg tools
mbmbmb
I know it's bad etiquette to double post but a few questions came up that weren't answered by promo-FAQ rulings, and they might not get noticed without a "new post" notification, rather than an edit:

~

Rune Staff: Is it possible to use Rune Staff at zero Encounters? It seems the intention was that teleporting doesn't count as Movement (and also doesn't trigger Swift if you should somehow teleport that far), but this could be FAQ'd.

Speaking of FAQ, the FAQ says diagonal movement is allowed. Is there any way to work this into the card? "You may teleport in any direction, including diagonally." written into the card perhaps? There's room for 1 more sentence, maybe, and diagonal movement is pretty core to the function of the card, as the only card that lets the Knight do so - diagonal movement is a rarity and needs to be spelled clearly when it does occur. We never realized it was possible until looking at the promo FAQ.

Last but not least, "treasue" is misspelled (I'm sure an editor would have caught this before print, but just in case-). Rune Staff got used for the first time ever at our table today, which is what prompted these questions.
The Knight made good use of it after factoring in your advice, but in the end got coup-de-graced by Cave Mushrooms+Slingshot using the Reveal->Slingshot->Attack action sequence when no tribes were on the board.

~

Cave Mushrooms: Is it possible to avoid population loss over distance by staggering movement over multiple activations?
It wouldn't have mattered in the above instance, because it was played in combination with Blind Fury, but it bears asking anyway.

Ground Kraken: Is Ground Kraken removed from the game before or after discarding a monster during the process of Scattering? The sequence that prompted this question: Bones Tribe has Golem and Ground Kraken. Bones Tribe attacks Knight. Ground Kraken triggers. Does the Bones Tribe get to keep their Golem post-attack? This is very edge-case and the card is already tight on space so it's probably FAQ-worthy unless it can be somehow written in without making the text longer.

I figure you're probably getting tired of me by now. xD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xWowie wrote:
While on the topic of Knight cards, Noble Failure tends to be a dead sidequest outside of the early game when your cubes are still super limited and you're likely to complete it "naturally". Messing up an attack is expensive. The Dragonless version I can't comment on, but at a glance it seems pretty okay though, since passing up a Crystal attack doesn't send the Crystal to the opposite end of the map, and it's a helpful card if you're behind. It feels like Noble Failure could trigger just slightly easier for the Dragon version, somehow. Idea: let it trigger even if the Knight doesn't have enough Strength to do damage at all, as long as she still uses a Bomb/makes an Attack attempt? It wouldn't break the card since again, passing up what would be a successful attack is expensive, but it'd make it more useful for a Knight that's fallen behind and needs a leg-up.
Noble Failure has a bit of a story behind it, but I'll let Patrick cover that.

As for the way it functions, it's there to help you out if you're struggling a bit, and it can push you toward making an attack you might otherwise not attempt - if the roll hits great, but if not, at least you'll gain a little grit for trying.

The secondary function is pretty easy to accomplish if you're doing a lot of exploring in a short amount of time, and once you've triggered it, it's relatively easy to return to the Crystals you skipped.

Quote:
Meat seems odd since it feels like the card should stay on the table with the token, but it technically doesn't. I can see why, though, because it's too crowded already for even 1 extra line of text. As for the effect itself, it's easy to miss the "may" wording that makes it a reusable spawnpoint. The "may" in both places could be bolded or something. Sometimes backfires by attracting the Dragon to a newly-spawned Tribe, but that's part of the fun.
It makes sense to keep the card out on the table while it's active. Space on the card is tight, but something along those lines might fit.

Quote:
Slingshot is like a free mini-Scheme, but it's hard to take advantage of so it's cool when it does work. Doesn't hurt you to keep it either even if you don't get around to using it, since again, it's a mini-Scheme and doesn't restrict your Secret hand just by existing.
The main idea behind this is for a Tribe that's far too weak to attack to still be useful, by helping another Tribe that would otherwise come up one short to attack. It is very situational, but once you have it out it's not going to get in your way, and could even serve as bait for the Thief.

Quote:
Rune Staff: Is it possible to use Rune Staff at zero Encounters? It seems the intention was that teleporting doesn't count as Movement (and also doesn't trigger Swift if you should somehow teleport that far), but this could be FAQ'd.
Using it does not cost or require an Encounter, which is part of the reason it specifies going to an unoccupied space.

It does not count for Swift unless you'd already moved through 6 different spaces prior to using the staff.

Quote:
Speaking of FAQ, the FAQ says diagonal movement is allowed. Is there any way to work this into the card? "You may teleport in any direction, including diagonally." written into the card perhaps? There's room for 1 more sentence, maybe, and diagonal movement is pretty core to the function of the card, as the only card that lets the Knight do so - diagonal movement is a rarity and needs to be spelled clearly when it does occur. We never realized it was possible until looking at the promo FAQ.
I'll see what will fit on the card.

Quote:
Last but not least, "treasue" is misspelled (I'm sure an editor would have caught this before print, but just in case-).
Good catch!

Quote:
Cave Mushrooms: Is it possible to avoid population loss over distance by staggering movement over multiple activations?
No, because the population loss is applied over the turn, not the individual action.

"Additionally, for every 2 Lit tiles that a Tribe exits during the same turn, it loses 1 Population."

Quote:
Ground Kraken: Is Ground Kraken removed from the game before or after discarding a monster during the process of Scattering? The sequence that prompted this question: Bones Tribe has Golem and Ground Kraken. Bones Tribe attacks Knight. Ground Kraken triggers. Does the Bones Tribe get to keep their Golem post-attack? This is very edge-case and the card is already tight on space so it's probably FAQ-worthy unless it can be somehow written in without making the text longer.
The removal is intended to occur instead of discarding it, so the Bones Tribe would not be forced to lose two monsters at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
05-19-17 Updates
-The Moving Entrance rules have been updated and expanded quite a bit. It still works the same as before, but goes into more detail on what to do with the tiles, and covers a wider range of potential issues with other rules.

-Scheme rules have been completely revised (but won't be a surprise if you've been following along with the forum discussions).

-War Banner has been reduced so it only increases your maximum Rage. If you want free Rage each turn you'll need other sources (like the Eye of Zot).

-"Short Rest" has been renamed to "Prepared"

-Artwork is complete for all but two of the cards. Those two may or may not get cut from the final set, but until then feel free to keep using them.

The latest PDF files can be found in the Public PNP Folder, under the Expansion/Promo subfolder: www.tinyurl.com/vastpublicpnp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wowie
msg tools
mbmbmb
I wonder what prompted the change from Short Rest to Prepared. In any case, the card quote and the card name seem a little out of touch with each other now, but only in a very mild sense. The card itself is still good nonetheless.

As for Light Helm and Scrying Eye, the potential cutting-block items, I like the current iteration of Scrying Eye enough to want to keep it around. Light Helm I'm kinda ambivalent to though. I asked one of my regulars and his perspective is ambivalence toward both, both from a Cave and a Knight's perspective. We can agree they're niche tools with a specific set of useful situations, even after a good-sized buff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We changed it to Prepared so it fit the style of the other titles. We kept Noble Failure the way it was since that is the joke.

I haven't had enough playtesting with either Treasure yet to get excited about them. I will need to play a game with both stacking the deck for awhile.

Thanks for the feedback its been immense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you change to "Rested" that would match both the past tense of the other cards and the quote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The promotional cards have been updated on the Drive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wowie
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ooh. New "Scale" cards, I notice. Though... They're worded confusingly. If I understand it right, the Platinum scale's effect is basically "once used, remove it from the game"? The Silver scale though... that one seems to be permanently active after drawing it, without affecting your normal hand? o.0 They both seem strong. Silver Scale reads like a reusable Gold Scale, and Platinum Scale is equivalent to giving the Dragon a lower difficulty-card. Am I just reading it wrong? (Also there seems to be a typo. "all threeGems")

Off topic I love all the little updates you've done to all the expansions, plus the draft rule-sheets. Can barely wait to get my hands on this stuff irl!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xWowie wrote:
Ooh. New "Scale" cards, I notice. Though... They're worded confusingly. If I understand it right, the Platinum scale's effect is basically "once used, remove it from the game"? The Silver scale though... that one seems to be permanently active after drawing it, without affecting your normal hand? o.0 They both seem strong. Silver Scale reads like a reusable Gold Scale, and Platinum Scale is equivalent to giving the Dragon a lower difficulty-card. Am I just reading it wrong? (Also there seems to be a typo. "all threeGems")
The Rules/FAQ file for the Promo Cards hasn't gone through layout yet so it didn't been pulled over into the public folder with the latest versions of the others, but I just added it in now.

In short, all three Scales start out as their own randomized deck off to the side, and the Dragon gains one any time he smashes a crystal.
--The Golden Scale goes into the Power deck like before and can be used as a "wild" any time it comes up.
--The Silver Scale goes next to the Dragon board and essentially acts as an extra Gem unless you have all three on the map.
--The Platinum Scale is an instant effect, and merely provides one additional way for the Dragon to clear a cube from Sloth.

Silver and Platinum can be stolen by the Thief. If he steals Platinum you have to immediately return a cube to from Wakefulness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
Silver and Platinum can be stolen by the Thief. If he steals Platinum you have to immediately return a cube to Wakefulness.

You mean "return a cube from Wakefullness"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stoneleaf wrote:
Woelf wrote:
Silver and Platinum can be stolen by the Thief. If he steals Platinum you have to immediately return a cube to Wakefulness.

You mean "return a cube from Wakefullness"?
D'oh! Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wowie
msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow, that makes way more sense now, both balance-wise and readability-wise. Thanks! Looks fun. :) Silver Scale is still definitely the strongest scale in my eyes though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm just going to drop Scrying Eye and Light Helm from the final. Would anyone be super sad? We can always put them in down the road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.