Tom H
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Basil Hilder KIA Lone Pine, Gallipoli
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently saw a great post on the camp at Plei Mei on consimworld and tried to post here on bgg. Apparently the Camp at Plei Mei has nothing to do with Silver Bayonet and is 100% irrelevant. Is this true? I am sure it is on the board!

What is going on in bgg?

Enjoy the pic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That photo has nothing to do with the game itself.

Did you submit it under game or creative?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Creative. 100%!

Personally I thought the photo had a lot to do with the game - when I saw the board I also noted the triangular shape of the camps. I thought that is weird - maybe it is some kind of geometry for signifying the defences I thought....

Then I saw the photo and all became clear as a bell. Mr Kibler showed them as they were. Also makes it clear why they are so tough when you look at the structure of the defensive works. This kind of connectivity is what makes me as a wargamer appreciate a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The PAVN attack on Plei Me is what triggered the entire operation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
Cool picture, thanks for posting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted it on CSW.

I thought it was interesting to see that the map depiction matched the actual Camp.

BGG is staffed by euro players. They wouldn't know relevant in a war game from their elbows.

I'm having a blast with SB25. The guy who decides what's relevant should play scenario #8 and then say how irrelevant that pic was.

Great game Mitchell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dan,

I thought the photo was very apt and a great photo, which is why I tried to repost here.

I really get frustrated with the geek mods for images. I frequently get pics turned down, especially for wargames / miniatures where the people have no understanding of what they are approving or commenting on. I would have thought that if someone did not understand or know a game that they would not approve / disapprove and just leave it to someone who does understand.

A lot of euro players put all sorts of inane pics up and when you try and load a game related pic you get shot down!

PS - wonderful game Mitch - thanks to you and the team for all the hard work. It is a pleasure to look at and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H.M. Woggle-Bug, T.E.
msg tools
Royal College of Arts and Athletic perfection
badge
Inventor of Knowledge Pills
mbmbmbmbmb
Phlegm wrote:

BGG is staffed by euro players. They wouldn't know relevant in a war game from their elbows.

Let's face it: Wargamers are a fringe group. Just look at the production numbers for wargames. The times of Squad Leader are long gone. The fact that most wargames are not good games surely does not help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
livio wrote:
Phlegm wrote:

Let's face it: Wargamers are a fringe group. Just look at the production numbers for wargames. The times of Squad Leader are long gone. The fact that most wargames are not good games surely does not help.

Agreed wargames and wargamers are a fringe group - always have been and always will be.

I think the point was that people should not necessarily be judging something that they do not have any knowledge or understanding about. If someone posted an image about a game that I knew nothing about I wouldn't have the guts to say an image was irrelevant - unless it was a picture of me eating an ice cream.

As a Spiderman once said... "with great power comes great responsibility."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
livio wrote:
Phlegm wrote:

The fact that most wargames are not good games surely does not help.

"Most Wargamer are not good games"? You're kidding right? Most WARGAMES HAVE been painstakingly designed AND research by their Creator. After 55+ Years as a gamer I've found euro games are the ones that suffer from this not being good games Syndrome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dan I was thinking the same thing, it was kind of an odd comment for the subject of the thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Huber-Wehner
Germany
Brühl
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
livio wrote:

Let's face it: Wargamers are a fringe group.

DAMN!!

From my point of view it looked all the years quite the opposite...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's funny. I posted a picture of the Goodyear Airdock where the USS Akron and USS Macon (Zeppelin aircract carriers) were built which matters for many pre WW2 naval games or so I thought. Same message. Made me laugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.