United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Follow the Map!
badge
These organisms are cleaning out an eye socket infection
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to figure out how cavalry and infantry can continue to attack as the defenders retreat via road movement.

====

I'm confused because according to the rules cavalry can only feint when it attacks via road movement.

-Are all cavalry attacks required to be feints if using road movement, even if the first attack is into an adjacent locale?

-In other words: If cavalry attacks along a road into an adjacent locale, can it attack rather than feint? Under what circumstances can it attack again after the defenders retreat?

If defenders retreat before attack/feint or just feint?

Can infantry attack into adjacent locale using road movement or is this reserved only for cavalry? Can it continue to attack after defensive retreat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Silverman
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
usmint99 wrote:
I'm trying to figure out how cavalry and infantry can continue to attack as the defenders retreat via road movement.

====

I'm confused because according to the rules cavalry can only feint when it attacks via road movement.

-Are all cavalry attacks required to be feints if using road movement, even if the first attack is into an adjacent locale?

-In other words: If cavalry attacks along a road into an adjacent locale, can it attack rather than feint? Under what circumstances can it attack again after the defenders retreat?

If defenders retreat before attack/feint or just feint?

Can infantry attack into adjacent locale using road movement or is this reserved only for cavalry? Can it continue to attack after defensive retreat?

Only cavalry may make road attacks.

You don't need to declare it a road attack for an adjacent locale; you simply declare a threat, and if they retreat before the attack, you define the attack as a road movement and can continue (if you're attacking with only cavalry and they retreat in such a way that you can make a road move into the retreated-locale)

A feint can only happen if the defenders *do not retreat*, since the decision to feint is AFTER the decision of which units are defending (with none meaning a retreat-before-combat).

I think that answers all of the questions, though possibly not in order?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, in all my plays I've never understood the complete road attack / cavalry situational rules in NT. I've never even felt like it was fully answered clearly here in a way that wasn't contradictory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to clear up one of the more misunderstood aspects of attacks along roads in this thread several years back: Legal Attack Threats
I still think it's worth reading (the post, not the whole thread).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scipio O.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

"Reading further can, and quite likely will, lead to madness." = one of the great lines anywhere on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scipio Oaklandus wrote:
Sphere wrote:

"Reading further can, and quite likely will, lead to madness." = one of the great lines anywhere on BGG.

It's a difficult choice - by risking madness you do get to hear about Mr. Cloppy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Germany
Würzburg
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Quick question that fits this thread I think.

In a recent game we had this situation.
The arrows indicate where units really are.
My opponent was playing the Allies, and made an attack threat at the indicated position:

I retreated my corps to the position you see in the picture (ignore the single Allied regiment in the locale). My opponent declared it a move with Bagration and wanted to move on along the road.

I claimed that this can only be done with an all Cav corps, which Bagration is not (I argued that the whole move, including the first locale, is a road move, and that there are no partial road moves [e.g. the second locale], thus prohibiting infantry from attacking and moving on).

On page 5 the road movement rules state that only cavalry may attack along a road, and since the second locale would make it a road move, the first move (the attack) would be illegal.

I have always played it this way (with the second locale in this case being illegal) and am pretty sure that I implemented the rules correctly, so I thought I'd rather make sure I haven't been in the wrong all the time (which would be one of those Keanu Reeves moments...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
Both the way you have played it and your reasoning is correct. There are no partial road moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.