Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been itching to get this game on the table since I received my copy a couple months ago and even stepped through a bit of a 2p game solo just to help learn it before my first table play. We played locally today and the game delivered and then some.

This seems like a game that could probably support a pretty good automa solo play system and I for one would be eager to play or even just help test such an endeavour. I haven't played the game enough yet to think it would be reasonable to try to undertake designing it on my own but if nothing is out there I might try at some point. It doesn't seem like it shouldn't work as it does in Viticulture or Scythe. It might be tough to get an AI player taking successive choices that are sensible as a human player, but abstracting out the AI scoring to require solid strategy by the human to win should be sufficient.

I've searched already and seen nothing, so I guess I am raising it for discussion as much as anything. Anyone working on this in secret and want someone to bounce ideas with, etc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Having received no feedback, I've gone ahead and put together some ideas for a solitaire system for playing Lignum similarly to Mr. Pedersen's Automa system. If it works at all I am sure it will require a lot of refinement, but I think I've managed to boil the game down to the important bits with almost no upkeep.

The most difficult thing to translate into a solitaire game is having the opponent make intelligent decisions with regards to movement on the supply path. That is, it would be impossible to maintain a simple system and have the Automa tactically choose supply spaces to mess with the player. All the same, I think I've come up with a good way to abstract this out so that it won't quite be perfect (solo AI never is), but I think the easy of operation and fast play time will perhaps compensate for this.

Apart from this, I have to do a little bit of tweaking of a few numbers to see if there's a reasonable balance. I am going to test some initial values this weekend and if I am relatively happy that there could be a worthwhile solo challenge there, I will clean up the formatting of my rules and post them here and hope to find other Lignum players interested in testing them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been thinking about this as well, but was thinking of a simpler approach:

- Roll a d6 and place the automa pawn on that space, then you take your action. Then you roll the die again, and move that many spaces ahead of your pawn and continue in this manner until we see who reaches the clearing.

- You could also roll the die to pick the cutting area as well, but this is where a more intelligent choice is really necessary - maybe roll the die for the cutting area, but if the spot one greater or one lesser has more wood, the automa selects that one?

- Something similar could be done for tasks and planned work, and if the automa hits the sawyer first, it takes the additional worker.

- The only thing left is to come up with the "goal posts" - the winning score you are trying to achieve. To make it more difficult, either increase the winning score, or add another automa pawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.