Popular Tags: [View All]
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone posted in the year end support drive thread that they were having a tough time figuring out when it is best to support. It made me curious.

So here's a poll to find the answer:

Poll
When do you feel is the best time to support BGG?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
December, to help the support drive.
52.2% 82
January, to show the current year's patron support badge.
26.1% 41
December AND January.
4.5% 7
Monthly, so BGG has continuous income.
1.3% 2
Several times a year.
1.9% 3
Support year-round with user created content and support the BGG community rather than financially.
3.2% 5
Other (Please post below to tell us more. Unless it's "I don't like the game page." Then please don't vote. With respect, that discussion is being held elsewhere and isn't the question being asked here.)
10.8% 17
Voters 157
This poll is now closed.   157 answers
Poll created by Ryuu
Closes: Mon Jan 2, 2017 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When my ad block runs out. And at the minimum level required for that. BGG has been a very successful entity for quite some time, and doesn't need "donations" to stay afloat, and hasn't for a while.

I do hate the game page.

Since I've donated every year it has been an option, I feel like I'm allowed to bitch about stuff. Deal with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I've ever donated a dollar in my life to anything. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the first year I've supported, and I supported because I saw big changes that I liked. Honestly, I saw so many "I'm voting with my wallet" posts that I figured I should donate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
December. I'm not gonna lie, I want that sweet sweet bonus geek gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
When my ad block runs out. And at the minimum level required for that. BGG has been a very successful entity for quite some time, and doesn't need "donations" to stay afloat, and hasn't for a while.

I do hate the game page.

Since I've donated every year it has been an option, I feel like I'm allowed to bitch about stuff. Deal with it.

I wish I had thought to put "when my ad block runs out" as a choice. Thank you for answering the actual question posted here, and for adding to the discussion in a substantial way.

As to the rest, you were pretty rude towards my simply asking to have a different conversation in this thread, but if "bitching" makes you feel better, I suppose that is your choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
I donate to homeless centers, old person's homes, to refugees, and to animal shelters, but not to BGG. We all make choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need a, "never" option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom anonymous
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mb
I voted other.

I donated for the first time this year because this is the first year I've been able to afford to do so.

Previously I have supported the site financially by having it whitelisted in my adblocker so they will receive revenue from my pageviews. I would fit this with the support in kind option probably even though it's financial, you could fit it with the continuous revenue one but it's not really that either I don't think.

Having been prompted by the december donation drive and realising there was an adblock option, I donated this year for the first time.

From now on, I will donate when my adblock runs out, which will be december 17 I assume and I'll be prompted again to donate by the pledge drive, so I will donate in december because that's when I'll be reminded I can pay to block ads to financially support a site I use/value rather than having to have ads. So perhaps I should have ticked the december option, as it is the december drive that got me to donate, idk, so I ticked other.

HTH ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Rodrigues
Portugal
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
powermad wrote:

Yeah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the BGG marketplace to sell games and pay the 3% commission to financially support the site. Of course, it's not so much a donation as a fee for a service provided here but I do feel as if I am supporting the site financially.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gesine Stanienda
Ireland
Galway
Galway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't. I produce content, this makes BGG attractive for others. They come here, click on ads. So, I do enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
I support in December. I have ever since I registered (though I registered in January of the year so got a whole year's use before donating lol). I guess I support because I had vaguely used the site before registering, yet after registering I started to use various functions of BGG and post replies (like this once), and felt like I was part of the BGG community.

I like the geekgold too, don't get me wrong, but I feel like BGG is more than just a website and therefore deserves some financial support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
powermad wrote:

You get the bonus GG no matter when you donate.

I support in January, I like to have the current year support badge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
I support the site in December because that's when they run their support drive and my philosophy is to pay for content I like in the way that they ask to be helped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DonRaccoon
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This December has been the first time I've donated anything.

2016 has been the first year I've heavily used BGG (I'm reading the forums daily, I've been tracking my game plays, ensure my collection is up to date) so when the drive started in Dec, I figured I would make a donation.

I'm not in the financial position to donate lots, so I went the minimum needed for bonus geek gold (might as well get all I can for the donation!).

I've also turned off ad blocking to help with any revenue that might get them, from my visits.

Going forward, I see the December drive being my main way of helping (There's gold in them thar hills!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiff Reynolds
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
powermad wrote:

Really? I didn't know that, I have been donating in January to get the current year badge, and again in December for the bonus.

Does my second donation count towards the December drive at all, then? I will continue with my current method if it at least helps to move that progress bar up a notch. Otherwise, it's January-only for me from now on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wavsite wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:
powermad wrote:

Really? I didn't know that, I have been donating in January to get the current year badge, and again in December for the bonus.

Does my second donation count towards the December drive at all, then? I will continue with my current method if it at least helps to move that progress bar up a notch. Otherwise, it's January-only for me from now on!

Only donations made in December count towards the support drive goal, but all donations (min. 15) made during the year get the bonus.

So, donations made in January do qualify for next year's bonus, and they do get a current year supporter badge, but they don't count towards that year's support drive.

This is why the poster in the other thread was having such a tough time figuring out when it's the "best" time to support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
15 Keys
United States
Living in the Delco
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing ads being on the site is support. Putting free content (including reviews, ratings, discussion, pictures, etc.) on a site that makes money from people visiting it is support.

I have no problem supporting BGG, but I do it with the above ways. Paying extra money to them is something others choose to do to support BGG (and they have many good reasons to do so, including "because I want to", which is the only one that matters), but those that do not pay them extra money still support them.

(I know that you are asking about when people give them money, but the implications that those that give them money are supporting them can lead to the converse that those that do not are not supporting them.)

Geeze, you'd think I'd learn to read by now! But some times you just want to rant a little....I guess that was me just now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fifteenkeys wrote:
Seeing ads being on the site is support. Putting free content (including reviews, ratings, discussion, pictures, etc.) on a site that makes money from people visiting it is support.

I have no problem supporting BGG, but I do it with the above ways. Paying extra money to them is something others choose to do to support BGG (and they have many good reasons to do so, including "because I want to", which is the only one that matters), but those that do not pay them extra money still support them.

(I know that you are asking about when people give them money, but the implications that those that give them money are supporting them can lead to the converse that those that do not are not supporting them.)

Not true at all, I "support year round by creating user content and by supporting the community rather than financially" was an option in the poll.

Maybe I should have worded it differently, as it seems to be confusing people. All tpes of support are valued and appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee a.k.a. "Loyal Lee"
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
I am called Huginn..., or is it Muninn..., I forget...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't contribute to the year end drive, but I do "re-up" sometime after the 1st of the year. Got to have my ad-block, and I don't mind getting that yearly supporter badge.

I also upload files sometimes (not all that often), and I pay my 3% when I sell games at the Geek Market.

Considering how much time I spend here, I probably should do more. But that's all they're getting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
15 Keys
United States
Living in the Delco
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryuu wrote:
fifteenkeys wrote:

Not true at all, I "support year round by creating user content and by supporting the community rather than financially" was an option in the poll.

Maybe I should have worded it differently, as it seems to be confusing people. All tpes of support are valued and appreciated.

Awww, hell, you are correct. I swear, I read the "I support year round" and I sort of stopped. You know, without reading the important part about how you support them year round.

Like I edited above, you know those times where you just feel like ranting? Yeah, I guess this was one of those times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phormio wrote:
I also upload files sometimes (not all that often), and I pay my 3% when I sell games at the Geek Market.

I forgot about my commissions from the Geek Market, I sold 13 games for $969 this year. Unfortunately, that money doesn't count towards your contribution total for badges, adblocks or the support drive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll support again the first of January so I can have that shinny new '17 badge under my avatar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fifteenkeys wrote:

Awww, hell, you are correct. I swear, I read the "I support year round" and I sort of stopped. You know, without reading the important part about how you support them year round.

Like I edited above, you know those times where you just feel like ranting? Yeah, I guess this was one of those times.

It wasn't a big deal. And, as far as rants go, it was very polite.

If I ever make another poll, I'll know to start with the most impotant part first.

Come to think of it, I also could have named the poll "when or how do you choose to support BGG." It might have been clearer and set thue expectation that an option for user content/community support was in there somewhere.

Have a great 2017!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.