Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel James
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the cards EXPLOSIVE BLAST, and ONSLAUGHT seem to be useless against a solo marine, is this intentional?

ONSLAUGHT Play this card after a demon performs an attack during its activation. That demon may perform 1 additional attack targeting another marine. (There are no more, so the card is useless).

EXPLOSIVE BLAST Play this card after a demon performs an attack targeting a non-adjacent figure. Roll 1 red die. Each figure adjacent to the defender suffers 1 damage for each 'pip' rolled. (There will never be an adjacent figure, so the card is useless).

Playing these cards out of your hand to receive a card you can use feels odd, is this the way it is supposed to work or should the cards be removed? Or do they actually do damage to the marine after all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Petraitis
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I came to the same conclusion as well. As far as I can tell, these are useless against a single marine except for immediately converting them into argent tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thompson
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I think, based on one play with two Marines, that the Invader has to tailor their deck to Marine count. Fewer Marines puts more attacks on one initiative card, which makes initiative much more critical. If, as in our case playing the first scenario, both Marines act before the Invader, you get the old Descent Alpha Strike problem where the room can be cleared before the Invader gets to act.

If I were to play this scenario again with a single or two Marines I would certainly want to swap out the Explosive Blast deck for the Ambush deck and hope to draw Ambush in my starting hand. Looking through the options I also liked the look of the Execution(?) card ( Glory Kill a Marine with 8 or more damage ) as this seems much more effective against higher health Marines.

I would be interested to know if the designer thinks the suggested decks are still optimal for fewer player counts, as I fear the first scenario at least will always be a struggle for the Invader as written against one or two Marines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ying
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Incarnadyne wrote:

I would be interested to know if the designer thinks the suggested decks are still optimal for fewer player counts, as I fear the first scenario at least will always be a struggle for the Invader as written against one or two Marines.

Well since you asked!

I don't think the suggested decks are always optimal against every player count or even every fireteam, they're simply a decent starting point to get players immediately into the game.

Once the Invader has a sense of the game you should be tailoring your invader choices for the marines, which is why the Invader picks his Event deck and Invasion cards AFTER seeing the marine's class cards and weapon choices.

The recommended Invasion Cards can also have issues against certain marine counts. The Imp Assault invasion card is actually a liability against a single Marine with Assassin or on a map where one marine can get ahold of a chainsaw quickly, because of the fact that the marine can recover tons of health via glory kills.

(That's probably one of the biggest problems with how Knee Deep in the Dead is presented honestly.)

The Argent Power system was designed and intended to provide an avenue for the player to spend cards that are be situationally less useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyroki Taylor
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mb
The great part about the deck with explosion in it is, the three cards that give black dice specify the 'marine with the least health'

Which is always the solo marine, yes?

So that deck is very much worth using. Just consider Explosion as if it were free argent energy every time you get it at the start of the round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.