Scott D
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify: can I move a Band through a square Enemy Space that is not at Peace with me? I know I have to watch out for stacking, but is this a legal move? Similarly, can I move Bands through War Spaces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Lavin
United States
Cambridge
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe so. Stacking is enforced only during the cleanup phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
Scottland wrote:
Just to clarify: can I move a Band through a square Enemy Space that is not at Peace with me? I know I have to watch out for stacking, but is this a legal move? Similarly, can I move Bands through War Spaces?

Bands can roam freely. The thinking -- I assume -- is that bands are small and nimble enough and the spaces are large enough that it's easy to just go around an army, tribe, or settlement. As Joel writes in the rules, a single Comancheria space is about half the size of the whole Navajo Wars map.

Note that the rules are very different for rancherias, of course. Rancherias can get hemmed in, and they can only move through settlements, enemy squares, or tribes if peace or an alliance is in effect.

Also, I don't know if this is intentional or not, but you can use rancherias to scoop up markers from the Santa Fe trail! When you're doing a planning phase, any rancheria can move along the trail, revealing the question mark tokens as it enters the space instead of when it ends its movement. So with a couple of bands providing movement points in the rancheria, it can just grab however many markers it can reach and then return to where it was. (This is legit, right, Joel?)

-Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
TomChick wrote:
Scottland wrote:

Bands can roam freely. The thinking -- I assume -- is that bands are small and nimble enough and the spaces are large enough that it's easy to just go around an army, tribe, or settlement. As Joel writes in the rules, a single Comancheria space is about half the size of the whole Navajo Wars map.

Correct. Stacking is only enforced during Operation Cleanup Phase.

Ending a move stacked with a War Column is also legal: it will mean a battle in the upcoming War Column Phase.

Quote:
Note that the rules are very different for rancherias, of course. Rancherias can get hemmed in, and they can only move through settlements, enemy squares, or tribes if peace or an alliance is in effect.

Correct.

Quote:
Also, I don't know if this is intentional or not, but you can use rancherias to scoop up markers from the Santa Fe trail! When you're doing a planning phase, any rancheria can move along the trail, revealing the question mark tokens as it enters the space instead of when it ends its movement. So with a couple of bands providing movement points in the rancheria, it can just grab however many markers it can reach and then return to where it was. (This is legit, right, Joel?)

-Tom

Correct. Scoop up them counters!

-Joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Bissett
msg tools
sauron
joel_m_toppen wrote:

Correct. Stacking is only enforced during Operation Cleanup Phase.

So obvious in retrospect.

I played the tutorial game almost a year ago, and then ended up reading half of the suggested reading at the end. Amazing history that I never learned before -- the game was worth getting just to be exposed to all this.

In the meantime, have been sooo ready to actually play, just started tonight, and then wondered whether or not I could move through <I guess New Mexico> to go bison hunting. Text search in the rules is great, but BGG is pretty handy to have along as well.

Cheers,
Bobby
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McFarlane
United States
flag msg tools
bobby:

I just read your post here and was wondering how your experience with your first game went (or any others for that matter)?

TODD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.