Subject: "shrink the safety area" when Reliving Memories? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan De Smet
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I'm on my fifth or sixth time through the rules, taking notes and trying to ensure I get it. It took multiple reads and a fistful of questions, but I think I have it all sorted out. Then I notice the word "shrink." Now I'm confused again. soblue

Osprey Rules, page 13 wrote:
The size of this safe area applies when cards are drawn, not when they are played (see diagram on page 5).

Okay. Before Ravens move from the Memory Row down to the Raven Row, the Safe Area is set. Two Ravens in the Safe Area, then one more moves down? Safe Area is still just 2 for this turn.

Osprey Rules, page 16 wrote:
Page 16: If Feth manages to relive a memory, two things happen immediately:
* The Raven of that colour is chased away. Remove it from the Raven row and put it to one side. Put any cards which were under that Raven into the discards, and shrink the safety area.

So, my example above. 3 Ravens in the Raven Row. Safe Area is only 2 because the third Raven showed up this turn.

What if Feth chases away the first Raven, one of the two inherited from the previous Turn? Is the Safe Area now just 1?

What if Feth chases away the new Raven? Is the Safe Area now just 1?

Or perhaps this is just saying "scoot all of the Ravens over to the left."

I think this is it, the final thing I'm uncertain about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
Brandon
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is just reminding you to scoot them over. The size of the safety area can change several times over a turn but it is only fixed to the number in the Raven Row when cards are drawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the key to your question is this: when you play a Raven, play it into the memory row and leave it there till you've finished playing cards.

See p12 of the Rules. You move the Raven down onto the Raven row after you've finished playing cards.

If you've chased away a Raven, then as Daniel says, there's a reminder to scoot stuff to the left, to take up the slack.

I guess my point is this: if you don't worry about moving Raven's and scooting Ravens left till the end of Feth's turn, then the issue about the size of the safety zone is moot. Work on the size of it at the time you start the turn.

So in your example, with 3 Ravens, 1 of them new: the size of the safe area after chasing away the first Raven is irrelevant, this turn. By definition you've finished playing cards into the Memory row - because you've started playing into the Atman (or how did you chase the Raven away?)

But next turn the zone starts at 2 (or 1, if you've also chased the new Raven away).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan De Smet
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Paul, perhaps we're looking at different versions of the rules? My copy says on page 12: "Once Feth has finished drawing cards he can begin using them, but first he must add any Ravens he has drawn to the Raven row." (Emphasis mine.)

That said, based on my understanding, what you're describing seems to match the intent; Ravens drawn this turn don't form part of the current Safe Area. Of course, doing it this way requires changing "Once a Raven has been added to the Raven row they begin stealing memories" (p13) to include Ravens in the Memory Row. I'm tempted to teach it that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
Brandon
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ravens can steal or be banished the turn they come into play as they move into the Raven row before Feth plays cards to the atman. However the size of the Safe zone is fixed when cards are drawn and not checked again or altered until Feth draw a cards again.

Ie. Size of safe zone=number of ravens in Raven row when cards are drawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Weber
msg tools
badge
Let's Go BLues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel, that sounds right except it needs to be referenced when discarding cards since that is the only time it does anything. I just remember how many ravens there were at the beginning of my turn when/if I choose to discard any cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan De Smet
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Baconburgerdog wrote:
I just remember how many ravens there were at the beginning of my turn...
I have a mind like sieve, so it's a poor solution for me. :-) I'm planning on using the Feth card to mark the edge of the Safe Area. We're already using the Ren card to mark the lowest completed poem line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Weber
msg tools
badge
Let's Go BLues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a good idea. Any alternatives to just turning the dream card sideways when solving a line of poem with matching color cards. Since that also indicates a cards ability was used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.