Popular Tags: [View All]
Balaji Iyengar
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
Valandil (God-friend)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon! was a gateway game for me. My first dungeon crawler, rpg, and one of the first couple of purchases when I took to the hobby.

But ever since I started attending local board game group meetups and going to board game cafes and such, and as I explored more I out grew Dungeon.

It rarely came out of the shelf.

So, in order to make it more interesting I drew up some sets of rules and came up with this variant. The beautiful thing about this game is, it allows and accommodates such ideas. It's not constrained.

So without rambling on like a fan-girl, lets get right to it:

Statutory Warning: This variant only works for up to 4 players.
I have tried it successfully with 2, 3, and 4 players.

Rule number 1 : All the players must choose different classes. There cannot be 2 players of the same class (male, female that is)

Here's how the game goes...

For the 1st half of the game, the main objective is to reach any level 4 room/chamber the quickest, and with decent amount of treasures:

Equation is:
level 3 treasures required = (number of players - 1) OR
level 2 treasures required = (number of players + 1)

For a 4 player game, the first player to reach level 4 must have at least:
3 treasures from level 3, OR 5 treasures from level 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------
So what happens after a players wins and reaches level 4 first..

The first player to reach a level 4 room/chamber gets to draw a level 4 treasure as soon as he lands.
(before he starts fighting that is)

And after that.. He has to wait. The monster fighting will not begin now. The player is just hiding in the shadows of the room.

Rest of the players have to reach the same room that the sprinter reached.

But here's the caveat.

If all but one player converge in the same room, the last player is magically teleported to the room instantly.

In a 4 player game, the moment 3 players converge in the room, the last player is yanked through teleportation to appear in the room.

The players may not go back now! The path backwards is blocked!

So, What happens when the adventures meet each other?.....

-----------------------------------------------------------
2nd half:

It's a co-op game from here on!
The end goal is to fight and defeat the red dragon.
After the red dragon has been defeated, the player with most gold is crowned the winner.

So after all players successfully reach a level 4 room, they fight the monster. From now on, all further monster's HP is the highest number on their card (disregard class specific HP type/spells HP)

All players roll their dice. Add up the total. It should be greater than the monster's HP. The player who rolled the highest gets the treasure. The other players get a treasure from 1 level below.
If there are no level 3 treasures in the pool(or subsequent level's treasure), the players grab one from the winning player's hoard!
The game proceeds in this fashion.

If the total does not add up to the Monster's HP, the monster hits back.
The player who rolled the highest rolls now.
The effects are resolved : The effects apply to all players.

All the adventures now start moving like a collective unit. Players take turns in clock-wise order to move the group.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Reason for having unique classes:
1) each class gets a unique class type bonus once per game:
Rogue : The master of traps.
Rogue can collect and hold on to 1 trap. Once during a group battle, the rogue may use this trap on the monster and save the group from the battle. But what this does is, it blocks that particular monster's treasure. Nobody gets any treasure.

2) Cleric : Every additional sword translates into an armor/shield.
If the cleric were to gain additional swords, you don't discard it. You hold on to it. These additional swords are used for reducing the damage from monsters. Like this:
1 additional sword = reduce the number on monster's roll by 1

3) Fighter : If the fighter were to gain a 2nd sword, you don't discard it. You hold on to it. He may use both the swords (add up both the values) once during the game.

4) Wizard : An additional secret door that the wizard gets is equivalent to a scroll of teleportation. The wizard may use this power once during the game to move the entire group to any room which has not been cleared yet. After resolving, the group moves back to where they were

Phew.. That was long. But trust me... it is a totally different game played this way. It become more dice intensive and about hoarding gold.

Let me know your thoughts, comments and suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools

Sounds rather intriguing. I wonder if it doesn't favour the stronger classes, like the wizard for example who will have an easier time with the lower level monsters than say the rogue would.
Does it really produce balance results?

odinMithrandir wrote:

Rule number 1 : All the players must choose different races. There cannot be 2 players of the same race (male, female that is)

I think you mean 'different classes' here. Or characters. Can't remember what the game calls them, but races are human, dwarven, elven, etc.
Not sure why you're mentioning the male and female genders, though.

Couldn't everyone choose what they want and just recognize that they're limiting their possibilities if they don't mix it up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once the game goes to co-op ( really semi co-op since there will be only 1 winner) how do wizard spells work? You stated that everyone rolls there dice and add them up to defeat the monster. Wizard spells usually give the wizard a lower target number to defeat the monster. Do spells now add to the wizards roll?? Or do the wizard spells become practically useless?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once the first player reaches the level 4 room what is to prevent the other players from clearing out the rest of the dungeon before joining the 1st player in the level 4 room?

Also couldn't a wizard player just head over to level 6 at the beginning of the game and kill the red dragon him or her self?

Are you not allowed to go deeper than level 3 until you have the appropriate amount of treasure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balaji Iyengar
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
Valandil (God-friend)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:
Once the game goes to co-op ( really semi co-op since there will be only 1 winner) how do wizard spells work? You stated that everyone rolls there dice and add them up to defeat the monster. Wizard spells usually give the wizard a lower target number to defeat the monster. Do spells now add to the wizards roll?? Or do the wizard spells become practically useless?

Each unused spell that the wizard has, adds +2 to his roll.
He has to discard them after use of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balaji Iyengar
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
Valandil (God-friend)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:
Also couldn't a wizard player just head over to level 6 at the beginning of the game and kill the red dragon him or her self?

Are you not allowed to go deeper than level 3 until you have the appropriate amount of treasure?

Bingo! You are not allowed to reach level 4 until you have the appropriate amount of treasure.

Dnasearchr wrote:
Once the first player reaches the level 4 room what is to prevent the other players from clearing out the rest of the dungeon before joining the 1st player in the level 4 room?

And, here's where strategy and decision making come into play.
a) Would you want to linger around in lower level dungeons so that you may reduce the treasure hoard/block other players
OR
b) you are going to get level 3 treasures anyway in level 4. So would you go that way and get a free level 4 treasure?

And you definitely don't want to be the last one out. Because you don't get to explore anything. You are just yanked away - hook, line and sinker once the rest of the players get past you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1)Why wouldn't the last player not get to explore anything. I would think they were th last player because they were exploring the rest of the Dungeon. Why does it matter if you are last to the room. You still keep all your treasure you found?

2)Also your rules never stated you couldn't go past third level. Just that you wouldn't trigger the next part of the game.

3)Not sure I see the strategy after the game becomes semi co-op. It is just who rolls the highest gets the better treasure since the monster target number is just the highest one on the card. Lucky roller is the winner.

4) wizard still seems like the best pick in this variant. Unless a fighter picks up 2 or more swords

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question. Why hang around in level 4. Why not go straight for the red dragon in level 6? You will pick up better treasure along the way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would seem that once you are in co-op mode that it is very easy to kill a monster. Even with just 2 players the average attack roll is 14. With 4 players it is 28. Not very challenging. Am I missing something? Do you aonlybroll 1 due per player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balaji Iyengar
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
Valandil (God-friend)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My bad.. Forgot to mention! Thank you for pointing it out.

Once the game gets into a co-op mode, all the players get only 1 die.

I believe this answers your previous question about why you can't go straight to the red dragon solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes more sense. Also makes wizard spells and magic swords very powerful.

I guess I will need to try it. I just am not seeing how the co op mode offers you any real choices. Just seems like the person who rolls highest wins. Doesn't matter what creature you fight since your class doesn't change the target number.

Another question. If the monster causes players that drop a treasure. Then the next turn the heroes defeat the monster. How is the dropped treasure redistributed??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes more sense. Also makes wizard spells and magic swords very powerful.

I guess I will need to try it. I just am not seeing how the co op mode offers you any real choices. Just seems like the person who rolls highest wins. Doesn't matter what creature you fight since your class doesn't change the target number.

Another question. If the monster causes players that drop a treasure. Then the next turn the heroes defeat the monster. How is the dropped treasure redistributed??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.