DC Comics Deck-Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Mini Expansion: At the Movies- Darkman rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
The best part of doing customs is the simple yet consistent fact that it is the designers perspective of these characters. I'm sure almost everyone who does their own custom version of the character will have their own unique take on them.

Today "At the Movies" we have Darkman."Darkman is a 1990 American superhero film directed and co-written by Sam Raimi. It is based on a short story Raimi wrote that paid homage to Universal's horror films of the 1930s. Peyton Westlake, a scientist who is attacked and left for dead by a ruthless mobster, Robert Durant. This brutal assault happened after his girlfriend runs afoul of a corrupt developer." -Wikipedia

Darkman is kind of a Phantom of the opera-ish Super Hero, so his card plays off of Vulnerabilities. The use of Vulnerabilities plays off an earlier idea/variant suggest that Vulnerabilities represent a hero's altered ego.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1684302/game-play-variant-c...

Since Darkman's altered ego is assumed dead, his cards really utilizes this concept to try to create a uniquely playable character.

Oversized Super Hero card does something different by allow you to meet the requirements of any card that needs a Hero or Villain by discarding your Vulnerabilities (identity). This is because Darkman utilized mask and disguises to be an effective Hero and defeat the Villains. This does not work for Crisis Cards.

Dr. Payton Westlake Hero card allows the player to put low cost Super Powers, such as Agility, Adrenaline Surge or Kick, on top of his deck.

Darkman Super Hero card is the card that starts off the stack. He is a street level Hero with a rage problem and that's what's represented here with putting a card from the Kick stack into your hand. His STACK ONGOING ability represents the fact he is hard to capture do to his disguise abilities.

Equipment, Synthetic Skin Formula, represents Darkman putting on a mask (Reveal a Hero or Villain from the main deck), infiltrating a location (adding the cards to the Line-Up) and learning the plans of the Villains (reordering the cards of the main deck). Its a different way of presenting this theme.

Julie Hastings is the woman he is severely protective of. Like many classic Universal monsters of the 1930's he is model after, he will destroy everything to keep her safe.

Robert Durant is the man Villain in his story but I wouldn't call him a Super-Villain yet. In Darkman sequels and comics he becomes a Super-Villain but since this is based off of the original movie only, he is a Villain.

The Super Power Adrenaline Surge is a simple card that is generic enough to feel comfortable using with almost any character but specific enough to Darkman that when you play it, it feels so good.

As always your feedback and suggests are welcome. This series will continue but I'm planning to get back to more traditional super heroes in my next post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkman (Superhero)-
I don't know what this would be good for.

Dr. Peyton Westlake-
Seems expensive for a fairly weak effect. Would probably be still too expensive if it were "discard 3 cards. If you do, take a Super Power from your discard pile and put it on top of your deck", but still much better. And that would still feel good to trigger with Vulnerabilities.

Synthetic Skin-
Could potentially allow some strong deck manipulation, but as it's open info, less than ideal.

Julie-
Seems okay.

Robert-
Does that mean if there are multiple copies of a (cost 4 or less) card in the line-up, he can destroy one and you get an extra Power?

Darkman-
So he's Supergirl, but more expensive?

Adrenaline Surge-
Doesn't seemlike it needs to be limited to cost 0 cards, when that's start you're always going to use it on anyway. Unless it's very specifically so you can't use it on Julie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Thank you for the awesome feedback. I may have to enlist your aid on a RoboCop mini expansion. All alterations have been made and the picture has been reposted.

Jlerpy wrote:
Darkman (Superhero)-
I don't know what this would be good for.

So what your telling me is I tried to get to cute and gimmicky with this mini expansion and it backfired on me

He has been changed to "make any Hero or Villain card both Hero and Villain until the end of the turn." Same thing accomplished more directly with a lot less cuteness.

Now his ability functions like a semi-deck thinning mechanic from Forever Evil. Instead of destroying cards, he is making duel types and now they can be used to resolve Crisis cards. This is more of my original concept I strayed away from. His infiltrating ability allows him to deceive Villains and ruin their plots from the inside.

Jlerpy wrote:
Dr. Peyton Westlake-
Seems expensive for a fairly weak effect. Would probably be still too expensive if it were "discard 3 cards. If you do, take a Super Power from your discard pile and put it on top of your deck", but still much better. And that would still feel good to trigger with Vulnerabilities.

I see your point and change it to three cards with a cost of 0. This way he can make Weaknesses useful as well.

Jlerpy wrote:
Synthetic Skin-
Could potentially allow some strong deck manipulation, but as it's open info, less than ideal.

Great point again. This has been changed to not be so "cute" and be more direct. After you add a Hero or Villain to the Line-Up, he can do Granny Goodness power.

Jlerpy wrote:
Julie-
Seems okay.

Julie was just a plot device to make Darkman adrenaline surge and violent streak emerge.

Jlerpy wrote:
Robert-
Does that mean if there are multiple copies of a (cost 4 or less) card in the line-up, he can destroy one and you get an extra Power?

He can destroy multiples of a specific card types of 4 or less to gain bonus power. Multiple Heroes or Super Powers and such. This is copying his path in the movie. He was always a step behind Darkman and his disguises but was destructive to people and thing to capture him.

Jlerpy wrote:
Darkman-
So he's Supergirl, but more expensive?

Yes he is but he also has the ability to resist cost manipulation downward and there is a certain number of points rewarded from the start for card types that go on the Super-Villain stack, like Super Hero and Super-Villain. I think he's appropriately costed for a Weak starter card that fits thematically.

In addition, I think Supergirl is under costed for how she works as well as the synergy she provides for the right Oversized Super Hero/Villain cards.

Jlerpy wrote:
Adrenaline Surge-
Doesn't seemlike it needs to be limited to cost 0 cards, when that's start you're always going to use it on anyway. Unless it's very specifically so you can't use it on Julie.

It's basically a Punch card that can turn into a Kick when the right conditions are met. It targets 0 cost cards because he destroy Weaknesses. Thematically it's like the way Darkman was in the movie. He throw his body around because he can't (or wasn't suppose to) feel pain. When the adrenaline surge kicks in he gets ignores all Weaknesses and takes out the enemy. Again, it's made so you could play this with any Hero and not feel like your "stealing a gimmick".

It is specifically designed so you cannot use it on Julie but also fitting the theme of using starter cards from the JSA set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wise
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Robert Durant supposed to have the Ongoing Keyword?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
CodeAndReload wrote:
Is Robert Durant supposed to have the Ongoing Keyword?

No he I not. His card has been corrected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.