Hide
5 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Solo Mode rules corner case? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Albert Liu
msg tools
I noticed that there's a corner case in the rules for solo mode where the board cannot be set up properly. If the player draws costs of 15,23,3,[any] or 24,23,3,[any] for placing the neutral cities and greenery, then both cities are placed in valid locations (just N or SW of Juventae Chasma for city 1, and E of Ganges Chasma for city 2). However, after placing the first greenery between the two cities, the second city no longer has ANY valid positions to place its greenery.

What should happen in this case?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on your numbers, I think you may be reversing the direction of each row.

What the game rules say for the first city ("like reading"):

--------->
--------->
--------->

What I think you are doing:

--------->
<---------
--------->

To obtain the edge case you mention, you need one of the following 4 cases for the first two cards:

21, 23
24, 23
26, 25
26, 28

Can you confirm that there are actually cards in the game to allow at least one of these?

Assuming the answer is yes, I would say that a literal interpretation of the phrase "skip any illegal placements" in the rules implies very clearly that the greenery tile is not placed if there are no legal placements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
rbelikov wrote:
To obtain the edge case you mention, you need one of the following 4 cases for the first two cards:

21, 23
24, 23
26, 25
26, 28

That's not correct.
The edge cases are:
21, 23, 3+5n, ANY
24, 23, 3n, ANY
26, 23, 3n, ANY
26, 26, 3+5n, ANY
(n is any natural number)

You missed that in the latter two, two illegal placements are skipped due to the first city already being in place.

rbelikov wrote:
Can you confirm that there are actually cards in the game to allow at least one of these?

Yes, there are cards with all of the numbers involved (21, 23, 24, 26).
However, there is no second card costing 26.
Therefor, only the first 3 are possible, and they are extremely unlikely (Approx. 1 in 10,000)

Yours,
Sebastian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Dueck
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is solo and it is your own game so you can do what you want because the case you mention is extremely rare.

1) Not place the tile because if there are no legal spaces, you cannot place a tile.

or

2) Shuffle up and deal again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I recently ran into the case where the 2nd city should have been placed directly next to the 1st city. Since that is illegal (without a listed exception), I just skipped to the next legal city location.

I would also assume that if run into the rare case of not being able to place the greenery then it doesn't get placed since there are no legal placements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.