Hide
3 Posts

The Oregon Trail Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Issue re: Timing of Win Condition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Charette
msg tools
I just played this game for the first time with two friends, and we ran into an issue regarding the timing of death conditions vs. the win condition of the game.

It is clearly stated in the game rules that successfully playing 50 trail cards (10 stacks of 5 cards each) results in the party winning the game. My question relates to when exactly this win condition is "checked" for completion. Do you have to completely resolve the 50th card that is played in order to win the game? Furthermore, must you also survive any pending "end of round" death conditions that the presumably final surviving player is afflicted with before you resolve the game as won by completing what the text of the 50th card demands?

In our scenario, we had a 3 player game in which I was the only surviving player for the final batch of 5 trail spaces. I had no supply cards at this time. On the 4th trail card played, I drew a calamity card that, if left untreated by a supply card, would result in my death if "one round of play" expired "without the <necessary supply card>" being played. Given this situation, which resolves first? By playing the final trail card and resolving its text without death, does the party immediately win the game for having successfully resolved 50 cards? Or must I play and resolve the 50th card, and then ADDITIONALLY survive the resolution of any pre-existing calamity cards in order to be considered as having "survived" the round and thus surviving the Oregon trail? Fundamentally I think this hinges on specifically when a "round" is considered to end (i.e. whether a "round" ends at the START of the next turn of the player whose turn initiated the round based calamity or whether the round ends at the END of the next turn of the player whose turn initiated the calamity).

My intuition suggests that given the fact that this game largely hinges on a number of unreactable and unpredictable 50/50's (odd vs. even and high vs. low die rolls) and that the game is clearly tuned to try to kill you no matter how optimally you play (given the absolutely minimal room for optimization that is built in re: resource management outside of spending down to 2 supplies per player to prevent mass supply loss as a result of largely arbitrary death via will mechanic limits [I'm looking at you dysentery]), that even making it to the 50th card being placed and resolved is close enough to warrant a ruling in favor of checking for win-con before completing the "round" (the timing of which can vary based on how you interpret where the round ends, i.e. at the start or end of the player's turn whose last play triggered a "round counting" card).

Mostly I'm just curious how others have interpreted the order of resolution and what resolutions are necessary in a situation where the game's win con has ostensibly been performed. As far as I can tell the rules do not clearly resolve this interpretive issue, though I would welcome any citation to the rules that proves otherwise. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jul Sef
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
We play that the 50th card must be resolved before we can win. We have lost the game on the last card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Interesting question. I'm pretty new to this game, so take my word with a grain of salt, but I'd say that the Calamity requires your turn to be concluded to come into effect. Since you'll have already won by placing the trail card, I think you'd be good.

The way I'd see the turn structure is this:
Play card.
Card effect resolves (In this case, game is won)
Turn ends.

Though, I'm not necessarily the distinction between card resolution and turn end are something this game sees or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.