Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reasons:
I don't like the messy campaign. Really. There's a lack of cohesion there. So many new ideas, new rules, new concepts... It might be too much actually. I just don't get it. Though I played more than 40 hours with the core game, and I don't understand half of it.
Where are the Stretch Goals above 1M$? This wasn't obviously planned.
2019? I might be dead by then. Or I'd bought the expansions then. Who knows.
Far far too many pinups.
More than 800$ (Shipping included) for additional content, is it really worth it? 3 weeks ago I would have said "yes", today I'm not sure anymore.
And lastly, too much hype kills the hype.

I'll keep on playing with the core game for now... and the first TWELVE expansions. Should be enough.

zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Feel better? meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kingery
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Only time will tell if you and your bank regret this decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven S.
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn, I was too late cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Quarmby
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you are struggling with the base game I suggest you find someone who has played it for the explanation.

Passing on a 777 - always a personal call but not sure what you are trying to say - did you read Adam's first couple of updates where he is clear on what has happened - we are effectively getting all stretch goals and more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B.
msg tools
Definitely the right call. If. Oh already have the base game and the 12 first expansions you know exactly what to expect and that will last you a really long time. If you don't feel hungry for more you don't need all the new ones. Maybe get the upgrade pack and maybe the gc and one of two new expansions if you want something more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the KS enters its final days, and especially when the last contents and add-ons are revealed, I'm guessing we are going to see a lot of threads about why people should drop their $777 pledges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As another person said in a post here there will be cancellations the last days of the campaign.
In happens in most campaigns and in this is more obvious because it's a very expensive campaign.
If you're not a 100% sure about the investment, this is your right choice.
The core game and the first 10 expansions give you a lot of play time.
By the time the new expansions and content is released, you can decide better if you want something of the new. It will cost you a bit more but you would have saved the money during that time so I think one thing balances the other.
For my part, I'm pretty excited about all the new things Adam has talked about and the only thing I regret is that it will be years before I see it all.
Well, the core game was released two years after the expected date and it was a blast anyway so I'm hoping the same will apply to the new changes and expansions.
Don't worry François, I'm sure you will find here a lot of people commenting on all the new things when they are released and you can later decide if you want any of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Gamer123
msg tools
Just to chime in. I'm new to KD:M but did a lot of research about the game and the previous campaign. First of all, a disclaimer. I'm so excited about the game. I love boardgames and painting miniatures. I think this game is a masterpiece and that Adam is a true artist. I have no complaints about the game whatsoever. It is a major success.

What bothers me, from a business perspective, is that Adam is making some basic mistakes that shouldn't be happening and is a bit unprofessional. Especially taking into consideration that he did a previous campaign and should have learned from his mistakes.
Not updating the main campaign page for quite some time. Which shouldn't be a big problem and requires not so much time to reorganize it and have better visibility for people who are new to KD:M or anybody else. Then, taking a week+ break DURING the campaign. Yes, it's holiday time, but then you don't start the campaign for the holidays. We are talking about a $8+ mill. campaign. People, that is some serious money. I understand that some people worship Adam, but you got to think critically and always stride to improve. Yes, you can write off some things to artistic creativity and chaos, but you should have a limit where that is too much. The KS page is a mess. Imagine if you were in the same position as Adam and ask yourself, what does it communicate to people about your business and your product?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluid Karma
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Fnovak.
I am wondering for quite a few days now why no one seems to find it a bit strange that a creator takes a vacation during an 8 million 15000 backer campaign. That's not to say I am not satisfied with the campaign so far, it's just... a bit off. Takes some serious balls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McHugh
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe its a working vacation and it gives Poots some time to gather his thoughts and to finish strong. If you like kd , I find it a little odd in not giving him some slack and just going with it.I understand the money issue, but its his vision that I really like in his game and I'm willing to see where he goes. Just my point of view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Ortiz
Spain
Santander
Cantabria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
meh missed it, im trying to downgrade 2face to 777, i already have base game _:o

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B.
msg tools
It is perfectly fine and understandable to love the artist poots and be disappointed by the businessman Poots. I have no problem whatsoever with him taking time of. That being said he could have easily prepared updates in advance or delegated this job. How about letting designers talk about their creations some or sharing their game stories or giving some more information either about old expansions or their vision for future expansions...

Plus not updating the main page is just stupid and seems lazy. I think he definitely should have hired someone for this Kickstarter...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluidkarma wrote:
+1 to Fnovak.
I am wondering for quite a few days now why no one seems to find it a bit strange that a creator takes a vacation during an 8 million 15000 backer campaign. That's not to say I am not satisfied with the campaign so far, it's just... a bit off. Takes some serious balls.

I'm okay with it because he'd said that in advance. And taking a vacation with friends and family during Christmas and new year just doesn't offend me..

It's not about worship. It's just.. hard to criticize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluidkarma wrote:
+1 to Fnovak.

Totally agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkson wrote:
Only time will tell if you and your bank regret this decision.

One out of two ain't bad! laugh

I don't know why Black Friday has meaning for Poots, but it does. For most small companies, the tax year is January through December, so you want revenue in January and build up expenses during the same tax year. (Also, you want to minimize inventory at the end of December because of inventory tax.) So that's why KD:M stretches from the end of November through the beginning of January. I don't know when Poots was married, but he is now, so he's gone during the holidays.

As for SG's, they were planned through $2M and quickly blew away in the first day. Rather than releasing all the content back in November and doing nothing for the rest of the year, he's doing the slow reveals, which certainly *aren't* like your typical KS.

I'm not concerned about the campaign. I *am* concerned about fulifillment. While Poots has run a $2M KS, he hasn't run a $8.6M+ one. (Ooo... we beat Exploding Kittens!) He took a loss on his previous KS, and I don't know how well his webstore business would be able to support the losses. I doubt backers of KS2 are as "loyal" as KS1, and who knows what the demand for this product will be after the core sets are shipped. Maybe demand will increase by those who heard of the campaign and didn't back. Or backers will find out they don't have the time commitment for KD:M and will be selling off product. "Value" and "worth" are subjective. I've read criticisms by BGG'ers about KD:M's price tag, but I can tell you that these $50 hobby boardgames are overpriced by someone browsing at the game aisle at Target.

As for the pinups, you're talking about KD:M's core business -- at least before the boardgamers started pledging. KD:M started as a miniatures company, and the pinups were what kept the company making money while this first KS was taking losses.

But, since you have enough, I think it's a perfectly fine decision not to buy more. That should apply to everything in life, not just KS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Rasmussen
Denmark
flag msg tools
If you intend to ever buy the new expansions it would be completly nuts to cancel your 777$ pledge.
Right now you can buy all the new expansions for 540$, this will retail at 970$. You're saving 430$ already with the expansions alone, and I've not even talked about the rest of the stuff.
So no this will not just cost you a little bit more it will cost you alot more, you are paying close to 80% more for the same expansions.

But the good price of course comes at a risk. It is afterall a kickstarter maybe all the stuff will not be fullfilled. Maybe you will not like the game in two years alot of things can happend in two years.

Also if you are cancelling because of the high price you are more likely to end up buying a few expansions at a time, which will increase the amount you spend on total shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For me i was originally worried when i backed the 777 pledge. But now im glad i did. So much stuff has been added to the kickstarter that i feel those who got it for 777 bagged a real bargain. Also i dont care about the pinups either and even without them its still a bargain.

I know that if i canceled my pledge, once those expansions started shipping to customers and were receiving amazing reviews from the fans i would be on that store ordering them at ridiculous prices rather upset i was foolish enough to back out. This happened last kickstarter when i decided not to back kdm originally due to a lack of info and not being a huge fan of the minis only to later realise it was an awful mistake when i could have saved $600

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Fluidkarma wrote:
+1 to Fnovak.

I think it takes some serious balls to criticize a creator for taking a break for the holidays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
malkaven wrote:
Fluidkarma wrote:
+1 to Fnovak.

I think it takes some serious balls to criticize a creator for taking a break for the holidays.

he should be posting updates on christmas day, this is outrage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My impression is that this long vacation is Adam's way to reduce the number of required updates, after all his plans blew up in the second day of the campaign and give his people some breathing room after they had to manage around 40K orders in the shop.

If you think about it, there was no better date to launch a campaign for such a pricey product (Black Friday + Christmas=presents time). And I trust that he will provide a very interesting last week. Hope he makes $10M. I would have probably pledged for a lot less if I didn't redirect my Christmas presents towards KD:M KS2 funding

Adam is as unorganised as it gets, his updates are full of typos and I agree that he should hire someone to run the "serious" things more smoothly, or make him/her more visible (if there's already someone in charge). But no one could say that the campaign has been "boring". This holiday break sort of broke the hype, but in a couple of days we will not remember that he vanished for a week or so in the middle of the fray.

After all, KD:M would probably not exist if he weren't the kind of person he is. I don't mean to justify everything that he does - just saying that we will probably have no other option than bearing with him as he is and hope for him to gather the appropriate people around to run the business, now that he has the funds to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I don't like how this campaign is being run either.
It's the first time for me to support a campaign through KS, though I'm not unfamiliar with KS projects in general.
Not only is there a lack of cohesion, but also a massive lack of professionalsim. One time he's too tired to do a proper update, then he forgets something in his update. The way he does his updates just seems arbitrary. And then he does a 1 week vacation while the campaign is still running. He either could've started the campaign on another date or had to maintain the campaign even through the holidays.
If it wasn't for the game, I would've dropped my pledge long ago.
Additionally, unlike in other KS campaigns, where the backers get rewarded for supporting the project with included stretch goals, we get more stuff to pay for. Why?
And then I read comments like "We don't want you to lose money, Poots." I mean how disillusioned can someone be to honestly think that he's only scratching black figures or even think that he will lose money with this KS. He is making A LOT of money with this campaign.

I love the game (that's why im not dropping my pledge) but I don't like the guy behind it and how he is handling this campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
gorkel wrote:
malkaven wrote:
Fluidkarma wrote:
+1 to Fnovak.

he should be posting updates on christmas day, this is outrage

He should be giving all his presents to us the backers. This is an absolute debacle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Gamer123
msg tools
malkaven wrote:
Fluidkarma wrote:
+1 to Fnovak.

I think you need to differentiate business and artistic creation. This is a business venture that has pulled in more than $8 mill. I'm talking about business, not art. As I said, then he should have chosen to do the campaign at another time.

EDIT: Out of 40 something days of the campaign, spending approx. 20% on vacation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Wasberg
msg tools
mbmbmb
malkaven wrote:
Fluidkarma wrote:
+1 to Fnovak.

It´s his own decision to start a campaign which is running during the holidays.
I think it´s only normal that people judge the behavior of the creator and his behavior leaves a bad taste.
Only 30 minutes every day to writte a few comments or answer a few questions would make a huge difference.
Like this it does not seem professional or well prepared.
It feels like Adam does not care and that is the straight opposite of the impression that Adam made during the rest of the campaign.
I will stick with the game and spend way to much money for expansions, but I can understand everyone that has doubts now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.