Kenrick Fearn
France
Ruffec
Charente
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I am a huge DVG fan, and enjoy many of their products ...it's not a perfect company and can occasionally drop the ball in some of their products. However, I love the steadily increasing component quality as Dan raises his game so too speak. Although, I don't like having to buy a second edition some months later ...so I have now adopted a policy of wait until the second edition comes out ...rightly or wrongly it's saves me money. Warfighter being an exception to this rule.

So, I thought owning both locker boxes I would provide a short comparison and review.

I adore the warfighting system and it's new WW2 setting seems an ideal fit, it has also allowed the designer to fine tune various aspects of the rules and tailor the game play to its historical setting. For me playing both versions of Warfighter is as close to playing an FPS in board game format ...without the dreaded internet connection issues I suffer from in the deep French country side ...those of us who live in France understand that Paris is really France ...so anything outside of Paris doesn't really exist as far as they are concerned so we get low priority on things like technology ...that is unless you live in a big city of course like Lyon, Nantes Bordeaux etc ...but I digress ...just to note I also had the same connection issues in the UK when I lived in a rural setting ...although I do believe that the UK government is putting through new rules for the internet providers to ensure good connectivity for all ...wish the French would do the same...maybe I need to burn a few tyres on the roads in protest in the typical French fashion lol...

Anyway, to the lockers ...well in summation before a start I will inform you that the new footlocker is a very poor product compared to the first and here is why ...

With the first locker box, it contained plastic trays, hard plastic card dividers, hard board map board, scenario book and some new cards which included updates to previous cards so quite a package ...and in my view excellent value for money to store all the cards.

The WW2 foot locker ...this is physically longer, I am certain it does not need to be even with all predicted and currently available expansions, hard plastic card dividers with their titles in the middle so the cards cover up the title of the cards they are dividing ...what who designed the graphics for these ???, my copy had them loose in the box so several were warped ...no trays, no board ( not needed) no scenario book, two packets of cards which sadly several have the wrong colour registrar which is not the end of the world but is still annoying.

The price for both boxes here is the same, but it's clear to see in my view which is certainly the better value ...

I feel this is one of DVGs dropped products, and is clearly a serious cash cow for completists like me and very poorly thought out, it is very poor value ...and I wish now that I used my original Warfighter locker box with its loads of free space to store the Warfighter WW2 cards in and saved the money to buy another game ...

My view, save your money ...don't buy unless like me you are a completist ...

Ric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bedard
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in sort of a peculiar situation, where I was gifted the original Warfighter ammo-box for Christmas last week, from someone who thought they were getting me the WW2 version. Which I had been complaining to her about as too expensive for what was being offered inside. But, being the total sweetheart that they are, knew me well enough to know I really kinda wanted it anyway. Sadly though they went shopping unequipped with the knowledge that there was an original version and a WW2 version.

I probably should have wondered what was up when she asked me, what was the name of that war card-game you were telling me about?

Anyway the original Ammo Box, which I have absolutely no use for, is here and I just couldn't bring myself to tell her it was the wrong one.

I Lucked into a copy of the WW2 box for $20 and figured, much like a dead goldfish, I'd make the switch behind her back.

Reading your review though, has me wondering if maybe I shouldn't also hold onto the original for strictly storage purposes. I'm not so much of a completest that I care what it says outside the box, just as long as it nicely holds and divides the WW2 components on the inside. Hell, I didn't even order the Polish or British decks (apologies to all insulted parties)

I guess I'll wait and really take a look-see when the new box arrives.

Thanks for the informative review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt MacEachern
United States
Phoenix
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree that this is one of DVG's screw ups. To make it like an ammo box they made it too tall and getting to the cards involves contortion, the filing system is a disaster and stuff was just thrown in when shipped. They should be embarrased.

Things to do: down load the edited scans of the dividers available in the file section, print them on label paper, cut them out and paste over the dividers. Then use the old card boxes to fill in gaps so everything stands up. When you take out the action deck replace it with 2 boxes sideways to retain upright positioning of the rest.

I don't know what to do with the stupid miniatures
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenrick Fearn
France
Ruffec
Charente
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RawDealDemo wrote:
I'm in sort of a peculiar situation, where I was gifted the original Warfighter ammo-box for Christmas last week, from someone who thought they were getting me the WW2 version. Which I had been complaining to her about as too expensive for what was being offered inside. But, being the total sweetheart that they are, knew me well enough to know I really kinda wanted it anyway. Sadly though they went shopping unequipped with the knowledge that there was an original version and a WW2 version.

I probably should have wondered what was up when she asked me, what was the name of that war card-game you were telling me about?

Anyway the original Ammo Box, which I have absolutely no use for, is here and I just couldn't bring myself to tell her it was the wrong one.

I Lucked into a copy of the WW2 box for $20 and figured, much like a dead goldfish, I'd make the switch behind her back.

Reading your review though, has me wondering if maybe I shouldn't also hold onto the original for strictly storage purposes. I'm not so much of a completest that I care what it says outside the box, just as long as it nicely holds and divides the WW2 components on the inside. Hell, I didn't even order the Polish or British decks (apologies to all insulted parties)

I guess I'll wait and really take a look-see when the new box arrives.

Thanks for the informative review.

Well from my experience keep the one you have ...and then download the revised graphics mentioned in the post below yours which I am going to do and print them off on glossy A4 sticky Label paper ...

But it's your call really ...But I regret my choice to buy the second one ...

Ric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenrick Fearn
France
Ruffec
Charente
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
waltermac wrote:
I completely agree that this is one of DVG's screw ups. To make it like an ammo box they made it too tall and getting to the cards involves contortion, the filing system is a disaster and stuff was just thrown in when shipped. They should be embarrased.

Things to do: down load the edited scans of the dividers available in the file section, print them on label paper, cut them out and paste over the dividers. Then use the old card boxes to fill in gaps so everything stands up. When you take out the action deck replace it with 2 boxes sideways to retain upright positioning of the rest.

I don't know what to do with the stupid miniatures

Thanks for letting me know about the graphic update in the file section ...

I am off to download now ...

What figures ??

Ric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Mickelsen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the disappointment experienced by many of those who kickstarted this over the footlocker (and less importantly the metal figurines and bits).

I recently bought the core game and have really enjoyed it. It does sort of cry out for at least a few expansions, so I ordered the first three. I'm storing the cards in plastic card holders boxes that come with dividers.

Unless you already have invested in the whole enchilada, my suggestion is get the core box and buy just those expansions that pique your interest.

Avoid the temptation of being a completist. Don't pass on this game because the footlocker is a bummer!

(I know that the service recored cards only come in the footlocker with the exception of some Polish ones. The service records are just a bit of extra flavor, not at all essential to full enjoyment of the game, and hopefully DVG will make more of these available in future expansions.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCormley
United States
SD
California
flag msg tools
OUCH!
mbmbmbmbmb
I made the mistake of getting the Ammo Box.

I was hoping to 1) gain storage and 2) play other nationalities besides the Americans as soldiers.

The storage aspect was disappointing because, in addition to the poor design of the dividers themselves, there are no groves in the bottom of the box and so the cards will slide all over the place unless you use some kind of foam insert or other packing material to hold them in place. At least the Legendary system supplies foam inserts.

It does hold the playing board, so it's serviceable. Everything will go in one box.

But more importantly, I didn't realize that the soldier cards that come with the box don't come with enough equipment cards to make them playable. E.g. I only got one equipment card for the Germas, Brits and Russians.

Had I known what I was actually getting in terms of playable forces, I definitely would have just purchased the core game along with expansion #1 (U.S. as hostiles) and expansion #3 (German forces and equipment).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
France
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
After all, a murder is only an extroverted suicide.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in getting all the cards, but especially the Service Record cards. I love how it fleshes out the Soldiers. DVG offers the cards only, on their website, but with the shipping fees, I'd be better off getting the box at my local online shop Let's hope my shop manages to get the cards for sale !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek
Poland
Chorzów
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One other downside of the Ammo Box is that there is a missing divider card for the UK Hostile Elite cards. For some reason this is the only faction which has only the frontline hostile card devider when all other factions come with separate dividers for hostile or frontline units.

- K.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Moss
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Szarak wrote:
...missing divider card for the UK Hostile Elite cards.

You may want to contact the company about that. I got mine yesterday, and it had that one, along with a spare Skill Cards divider.

As with others, I've yet to figure out why the box needed to be so deep; it's quite difficult to work with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek
Poland
Chorzów
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jazzlvraz wrote:
Szarak wrote:
...missing divider card for the UK Hostile Elite cards.

You may want to contact the company about that. I got mine yesterday, and it had that one, along with a spare Skill Cards divider.

As with others, I've yet to figure out why the box needed to be so deep; it's quite difficult to work with.

Thank you for the advice! I will contact DVG regarding this.

As to why the box is so high, I have read somewhere that it was purposefully designed this way to hold three mounted maps for the upcoming Pacific and North Africa expansions. There will only be one ammo box for the whole Warfighter WWII series, but there theaters of conflict, each with it's own map.

- K.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Moss
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that; I was going to start hunting future expansion news today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Chandler
United States
Burke
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the core game and really liked it.
I started getting around to organizing everything; bought a couple of counter trays, but then realized I no longer had room in the core box for the cards, board and 2 trays.
Well, I'm enjoying the game and I really wanted to play on the Eastern front anyway, so I went ahead and got the 2 expansions for Germany and 2 for Russia.
I already knew that I would need a bigger box so I also ordered the ammo box expansion and hey, might as well get the Gear as well, right? And the ammo box will have enough room for all of this and more!

Anyway, everything arrives.

Wow. REALLY nice, thick plastic dividers.

But, on closer examination they are pretty useless (as mentioned above). At the TOP of each index divider is the text "Warfighter World War II" (as if I would forget which game I'm playing??? surprise)
Then below that, to be covered by any cards is the description of what cards are behind each tab.
Basically, each of my dividers says "Warfighter World War II".

(And, to make sure that I remember that CARDS go here, they also print the word "DECK". (All CAPS...yelling???)
OK. I need to relabel the cards. There's some really nice files here that allow you to print new fronts for each card, but I didn't have any adhesive paper. However, I do have my Brother P-Touch printer and quickly printed some labels for each card and stuck them in place.

Sure, not as pretty, but a lot more functional when there's a card in front of it.

And then there's the box itself. Wow, is it HUGE.
Here's a shot of the original on top of the ammo box:

I saw a video on YouTube where the person had ALL of the expansions and still had LOTS of room. It looked like it could hold 3 times the number of available expansions.
Well, I don't need all THAT much room, so I looked at the ammo box and noticed that while it was much longer than the original, it was the same width. Hmm. I could cut it down, still hold all of my expansions, board, and two trays...
So, I did.

And I can use the original box cover!
But, it does look sort of funky as I put tape on the end that I glued in place after cutting.

Yeah, and some of the lettering is now truncated...
I COULD paint it olive, or something, but the idea was to get a more reasonable sized box with very little work - and I did that.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Danda
United States
Calhan
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All good info! So, it's huge and the plastic divider cards have weird text placement. I read about some labels you can print in the file section. Is that the file section for the core game or for the Ammobox itself? Also, is there anything that comes in the box that you cannot get by buying the expansions individually?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good info to know, really on the fence with this purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Ashland
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any suggestions for a Plano box or similar storage that would hold all of the chits and fit in the ammo box? Looked at the DVG trays but with shipping being almost as much as the trays themselves, I'll pass.

I'll hang up and listen. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.