Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rio Wibowo
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played other dice placement games like voyages Marco Polo, Kingsport festival and castle of burgundy. I love those games because it seems there are ways to maximize your turn with the dice you rolled.

With Cavern Tavern, not only there are limited slots on each action spots but you have to an exact dice number rolled. There are multiple times where we went to the wizard workshop or nasty not for anything strategic but because that's our only option. I've had wasted dice on a couple of rounds.

In those other games, it either doesn't have to be exact or there are ways to modify your dice.

Yes if you move on the kitchen or chore track you can modify your dice but it seems like you have to concentrate on those and not complete any order for awhile to be able to get that ability since they require at least a 7/8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mangan
United States
Freeport
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I came to the same conclusion. I think playing with the Mrs. Nasty expansion board will help.

I also suggested in another thread that each player start with a +1/-1 modifier token. And on a player's turn they may exchange their last die for one of those tokens - sort of like the workers in Castles of Burgundy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United Kingdom
HITCHIN
HERTS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with what you said. Are you using the expansion as this gives more choices (although not out until turn 4). I did read a good variant where you could trade a dice for a +1/-1 token but not had a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Read My Blog
mbmbmbmbmb
Got to admit that I didn't really find this an issue. Found that there was normally lots of places to put your dice and do something useful. Blocking opponents out of slots they want for me is part of what could make the game enjoyable so I don't have a problem with that either.

If anything from the plays I've had so far I think it is too easy to get what you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jack
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lego Pirate wrote:
Got to admit that I didn't really find this an issue. Found that there was normally lots of places to put your dice and do something useful. Blocking opponents out of slots they want for me is part of what could make the game enjoyable so I don't have a problem with that either.

If anything from the plays I've had so far I think it is too easy to get what you need.

I pretty much have to agree with this. We played a six player game last night, so the potential of spots being blocked was high, and did happen a few times. However, nobody suffered so badly that they didn't have a chance. It just added to the strategy and randomness of the game. I think Lords of Waterdeep, a similar worker placement game is MUCH more cutthroat than this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.