Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Richards
United States
De Pere
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all-
I've come up with a fairly simple solitaire variant for this game. You'll need a 12 sided die. The file can be found under the files section here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/141577/ulm-solitaire-vari...

I failed to mention in the rules, but this is played over 10 rounds as a normal game, but without the advanced roof tiles. 9 of 12 are positive events, and not all would benefit the bot equally. I'd be interested if anyone tries these.

Please let me know if you find any errors or have any questions.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Q
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dave,
just gave it a try and must admit it works pretty well. I won my game ending with 41 to 36, so quite tight. Previous games I did not manage to reach 40 points (played only 3 times for now) so I need few more games to verify if this variant is not too easy.

Two things:
- I would simplify row selection from the die. If rolled row is illegal to slide, I would simply move on clockwise to the next available and legal row (it's all random, anyway). Counting only legal rows (as in your example) seems unnecessary to me.
- selecting Descendant for bot is not precise. Which one should be selected? 1-3 for the top one, 4-6 second etc.? If selected one is already removed you take next one?

Ulm main mechanism is kind of a puzzle and looks like a solid ground for solitaire play. I am not a big fan of solo playing in general, but this one really caught my attention.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Richards
United States
De Pere
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gen_0 wrote:
Hi Dave,
just gave it a try and must admit it works pretty well. I won my game ending with 41 to 36, so quite tight. Previous games I did not manage to reach 40 points (played only 3 times for now) so I need few more games to verify if this variant is not too easy.

Two things:
- I would simplify row selection from the die. If rolled row is illegal to slide, I would simply move on clockwise to the next available and legal row (it's all random, anyway). Counting only legal rows (as in your example) seems unnecessary to me.
- selecting Descendant for bot is not precise. Which one should be selected? 1-3 for the top one, 4-6 second etc.? If selected one is already removed you take next one?

Ulm main mechanism is kind of a puzzle and looks like a solid ground for solitaire play. I am not a big fan of solo playing in general, but this one really caught my attention.

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback! I think we're on the same page in terms of which space the bot selects based on die roll. Maybe I didn't explain it well enough. The second example was meant to explain if there are spaces that are already full. Basically, if there are only 8 legal spaces available and you roll a 7, you'd go to the seventh legal spot, starting at the upper left hand corner. If you rolled a 9 or above, you'd re roll until you rolled a legal number. Please let me know if I'm missing something
As for the descendents, I'll have to make this more specific in the rules. What I was doing, if there are four available, 1-3 you'd take the top, 4-6 the second from top, and so on. If there are three available, 1-4 you take the top, 5-8 you take the second from top, etc.
Thanks for bringing this up.
As for the difficulty, as per page 2 of the rules, you can increase or decrease the difficulty by adjusting the points the bot gets for card and/or seal actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ives
Sweden
Stockholm
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dave.

I like the rules and I'm trying it out later but just to make sure I'm understanding right.
The second example picture with a roll of 6 seems like it should have its 6th legal placement at position 10? Counting round the free spaces until 9 which is blocked on its opposite side making the next free legal space 10?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Richards
United States
De Pere
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nozzy wrote:
Hi Dave.

I like the rules and I'm trying it out later but just to make sure I'm understanding right.
The second example picture with a roll of 6 seems like it should have its 6th legal placement at position 10? Counting round the free spaces until 9 which is blocked on its opposite side making the next free legal space 10?

Hi Robert-
The first legal spot would be at the 3 space, as 1 is blocked and 2 is blocked on the opposite side (8 spot). The next legal spot is 5, then 6, then 7, then 10 and finally the sixth legal spot in this case is 11.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ives
Sweden
Stockholm
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah right, missed the blocked 2 space. Thanks for posting this variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Richards
United States
De Pere
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nozzy wrote:
Ah right, missed the blocked 2 space. Thanks for posting this variant.

You're welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey W

Bonney Lake
Washington
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished a game, lost 48-47. Nice variant will be playing again. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey W

Bonney Lake
Washington
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CashLiam wrote:
looking over the board and saw the bot barge on the -1 space on the river so we tied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Richards
United States
De Pere
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CashLiam wrote:
CashLiam wrote:
looking over the board and saw the bot barge on the -1 space on the river so we tied.

Glad you enjoyed it, Casey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Richards
United States
De Pere
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just updated the rules to make the descendant tile selection for the bot a bit more specific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Charland
Canada
Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow! This solitaire variant is simply awesome! Quick and east to carry the AI actions. Great challenge as my first game ended in a 54-52 victory. I really want to thank you since your solo variant combined with Rahdo's playthrough convinced me to add this gem of a game to my collection. Great job! Thanks for sharing!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Richards
United States
De Pere
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CharlyGeek wrote:
Wow! This solitaire variant is simply awesome! Quick and east to carry the AI actions. Great challenge as my first game ended in a 54-52 victory. I really want to thank you since your solo variant combined with Rahdo's playthrough convinced me to add this gem of a game to my collection. Great job! Thanks for sharing!!!

Thanks, Pascal, for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.