Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Denison
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this for the first time last night and these companies really confused the heck out of us. What is the main reason you would start ones of these up? A couple of us did it just to explore them and ultimately near the end of the game to fill up our shares. We ultimately couldn't figure out the use of them though. Should you start them early/later and how can you make them work money wise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lo
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played once, so I'm no expert, but as they can't run to off-board cities, they don't seem that great. However each certificate is worth 20% (and the director is worth 40%), so they only have to earn half what the majors do to keep pace with them.

I don't think they are that great to start early, but by mid-game, if there are routes for them, there are opportunities for them - especially if another company has opened some mountain runs for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stoffey
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
To the Mountain!
mbmbmbmbmb
To echo what Albatros said, in the 10 games I've played the regionals almost always start after all the V and major companies have floated. Once the infrastructure is built, dropping their stations in the center of the board where all the cities and mountains are is pretty great.

Ultimately though, they're almost always worth waiting to last to buy. N-S and W-E routes are key.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Its a density argument between dividends and stock appreciation. As a result they tend to form quickly and early -- very popular as second companies -- as cash is the most valuable then and there's a general assumption that while cash can be turned into long-term asset growth, long term assets are much harder to turn into short term cash-position appreciation. For the same reasons its also popular to use other companies to feed trains to the regionals, again, especially early and for the obvious reasons. The other companies are more classical positions, requiring more capital invested to float, but also offering more value over the long term in stock appreciation.

So, which do you want and when? Dense cash flow or long term asset growth? Why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the one game I played the regionals were the last to float, since their position on the board seemed mediocre at best. But maybe we should've floated them earlier, before the SBB formed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.