Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Driske
Scotland
cardenden
fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just found out, that one of my favourite games has had a second edition. The game in question is Puerto Rico, where a second edition with new artwork and expansion's added.

Great you might think and yes it would be if I happened to be German as this is the Ravensburger edition. Unfortunately the rights to the English are held by Rio Grande and they are being refused the right to use the new art by ravensburger.

Is this common practice in board gaming circles where multiple publishers one the rights to regional versions of games? Are there other board games out there with different art work depending on the region published?

One last question, if Rio Grande own the rights to the English version of Puerto Rico why don't they hire their own artists and make a new version, or they don't have the right's to alter the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's artwork in Puerto Rico?

Pete (didn't notice)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Driske
Scotland
cardenden
fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
There's artwork in Puerto Rico?

Pete (didn't notice)

I know there is artwork on the cover etc l, was meaning the tiles now have art of the buildings.

The German second edition has the same artwork as the Anniversary edition https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameversion/227907/german-sec...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
locherbread wrote:
I have just found out, that one of my favourite games has had a second edition. The game in question is Puerto Rico, where a second edition with new artwork and expansion's added.

Great you might think and yes it would be if I happened to be German as this is the Ravensburger edition. Unfortunately the rights to the English are held by Rio Grande and they are being refused the right to use the new art by ravensburger.

Is this common practice in board gaming circles where multiple publishers one the rights to regional versions of games? Are there other board games out there with different art work depending on the region published?

One last question, if Rio Grande own the rights to the English version of Puerto Rico why don't they hire their own artists and make a new version, or they don't have the right's to alter the game?

Yes, this is common. Especially where the original publisher has ties to actual book publishing, where regional rights are baked into the industry, even in this age of digital publishing and a global internet and just as global market-place.

Who knows what Rio Grande's licence says? It may say as you suggest, it may not. It may also be that commissioning new art would cost enough to make the licence (in this industry of tiny profits) worthless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the German version. The artwork in the English version for such an amazing game is tragic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
blackmeeple wrote:
I own the German version. The artwork in the English version for such an amazing game is tragic.

Tragic? Like jump off a building bad? Looked pretty good to me when I played it years back. Given the subject matter looking too closely might have its drawbacks.

Play. The English version is fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.