Hide
12 Posts

Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia» Forums » Rules

Subject: Masmorra Kickstarter Character Rules Confusion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Crouch
msg tools
My friends and I have been playing Masmorra recently with the Kickstarter characters and their rules seem very confusing.

Grenouille was a character of particular contention because his Starting Ability was worded in a very confusing way.

"Once per turn, you may skip one room while moving, avoiding traps and combat on the skipped room."

Some players believed this meant the character could jump over only rooms that have already been revealed, while other characters believed they could explore a room and move beyond it into a second new room without fighting the new monsters in the room they revealed. Another also believed that it meant the character could peek into the room (set the tile) without going into the room. Can anyone verify the correct way to play this?

The second confusing character was Lotus's ability to make animals follow her and have optional combat with them. This seems to be a nerfed ability because all the animal monsters have detrimental effects on the characters, like the spider prevents movement. Is Lotus supposed to be immune from these monster effects?

Any help with this would be great. Any more character problems people have encountered?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Matheus
Brazil
Juiz de Fora
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Grenouille: "could explore a room and move beyond it into a second new room without fighting the new monsters in the room they revealed" this is corect and it also works for previous explored rooms.

Lotus: When ignorig combat also ignore the animals abilities. Allies can also ignore combat(and abilities) with animals if in the same room as Lotus.(coop mode)

Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Crouch
msg tools
Perfect! Thank you for the confirmation. This is how we were playing it, but I just wanted to be confident in my rulings ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Tang
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
So if the player uses Grenouille's ability and skips to a second room, then does that count as using 2 movement points or 1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Greene
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd say just one movement point, because they skip it entirely. Unless otherwise stated, I think all of the hero abilities are free actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom S
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
An addition question, if the revealed room is a medium room that provides an XP point, but the player decides to use Grenouille's ability, do they still get the xp point, is it forfeited, or can another player get the XP point if they are the first to enter the room?

We played it that the XP point is forfeited, which seems to make the most sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Check out the Board Game Beacon Blog: Click here then click on "Blogs" in the menu bar
badge
Follow me on Twitter: @BoardGameBeacon
mbmbmbmbmb
deserteagle2525 wrote:
An addition question, if the revealed room is a medium room that provides an XP point, but the player decides to use Grenouille's ability, do they still get the xp point, is it forfeited, or can another player get the XP point if they are the first to enter the room?

We played it that the XP point is forfeited, which seems to make the most sense.

Yes, he would not get the XP point because his ability allows him to skip the room, and you only get that XP point if you explore the room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Valdez
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question on Grenouille! If he starts his turn in a room with a monster or monsters, can he use his ability to move out of that room without having to enter combat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nayr090 wrote:
Another question on Grenouille! If he starts his turn in a room with a monster or monsters, can he use his ability to move out of that room without having to enter combat?

Why should he be able to do that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nayr090 wrote:

I don't think so.

The ability has the condition: "you may skip one room while moving."

To me, it seems that Grenouille needs to use a Movement dice or the Free Movement token to gain access to the ability, because the ability requires him to be moving.

When you start your turn with a Monster on the tile, the first thing you have to do after rolling dice is resolve the combat. Since you can not Move until the fight has been concluded, you can not use the ability to avoid it.

On the other hand, if Grenouille explores a brand new tile that spawns a Monster, he CAN use his ability to "jump" the tile because he IS technically moving. He would then end his movement on the next tile and then resolve a fight if there happens to be a monster already there, or spawns there as a result of it being revealed for the first time. Since he's already used the ability, he would not be able to use it again to skip that tile because it's a Once Per Turn ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The second confusing character was Lotus's ability to make animals follow her and have optional combat with them. This seems to be a nerfed ability because all the animal monsters have detrimental effects on the characters, like the spider prevents movement. Is Lotus supposed to be immune from these monster effects?

When asking a rules question, please post the specific wording of the card you're asking about, not a summarized version of it. We can't answer this question until we know exactly what the card says.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Valdez
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShotgunGames wrote:
Nayr090 wrote:

I don't think so.

The ability has the condition: "you may skip one room while moving."

To me, it seems that Grenouille needs to use a Movement dice or the Free Movement token to gain access to the ability, because the ability requires him to be moving.

When you start your turn with a Monster on the tile, the first thing you have to do after rolling dice is resolve the combat. Since you can not Move until the fight has been concluded, you can not use the ability to avoid it.

On the other hand, if Grenouille explores a brand new tile that spawns a Monster, he CAN use his ability to "jump" the tile because he IS technically moving. He would then end his movement on the next tile and then resolve a fight if there happens to be a monster already there, or spawns there as a result of it being revealed for the first time. Since he's already used the ability, he would not be able to use it again to skip that tile because it's a Once Per Turn ability.

Thanks for the clarification! Sounds about right to me, I just had to be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.