Subject: Another, what-to-get-what-not-to-get thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I have not been following the current campaign too closely.
But I am currently sitting on the 777 pledge and went all-in on the original campaign.
The problem is... I have not played a single game yet. blush
It is quite a lot of money to commit. So naturally I question my sanity...
Currently the small child inside me is winning over my common sense, but it is a close race.
So, if I end up not getting all the new gameplay related stuff this time around, what expansions are best left out?
I understand several of the new ones are meant to be played together in a campaign, but I have no clue what stuff is related to other expansions.
So I guess my question is, how do the expansions fit together? What sets of expansions can best be left out, and what sets bring the most to existing expansions and base game?
I have not committed to a specific amount of money or sets of expansions. I am more interested in not ending up with expansions that doesn't give me full value simply because I left a random other expansion out of my order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look through a couple of the 300 threads already on this topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you never played that game before, just go with just the core game.
It's already a lot. Way more than you might think.
The core game is overwhelming already on its own.

This KS frenzy seems to imply that this game needs all of it to be complete.
It's untrue.

Take the core game and play the hell out of it.
And, if after a year or so, you feel like you need to add something (it's not a given), then take it from there.
There will be plenty of Black Fridays and holidays to get the expansions at 50% de MSRP price.

That's the best advice you can get. Believe me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

just curious, was it really every year on Black Friday until now the 50% off? Shipping costs to EU similar to now? Also I really wonder on the availability of the expansions in the future...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have never played the core game and you have an all in from previous ks, either get the upgrade or don't back at all. By the time you are at the point we are today, everything will have been sold or will be about to sell through the store. Money in your pocket today always beats a bit more expense tomorrow. Especially if you know what you are buying just by secondhand opinions.

And if you drop, please drop it now, so that someone interested is still in time to fill in.

Of course, if you buy the 777 pledge and eventually play everything, that's for the best. But I, on a near-exclusive schedule of only kdm, with always a couple of campaigns running at a given time, still never played some variants from the core game, never hunted the antelope legendary, never made a full green armor, never beat a L3 or legendary DBK, never hunted a dragon King quarry, and a lot of lesser "never"... If you begin today, exclusively kdm and at a steady pace, you will be at summer 2018 before you ever need to look around for a new quarry. By that time, you should be able to buy just the upgrade and the gambler's chest at the store, and still have a lot more gameplay before new expansions hit the store, and by then you can decide what's with it. You are just trading a 50%ish discount up front for a 20%ish discount in one or two years... Fair trade, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Chamoy
United States
Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbc- wrote:
OK, I have not been following the current campaign too closely.
But I am currently sitting on the 777 pledge and went all-in on the original campaign.
The problem is... I have not played a single game yet. blush
It is quite a lot of money to commit. So naturally I question my sanity...

I am more interested in not ending up with expansions that doesn't give me full value simply because I left a random other expansion out of my order.

I read your post earlier today and couldn't get it out of my head...

You are saying, that after committing hundreds of dollars to the previous Kickstarter, you haven't played the game once. Not once.

And now, knowing that you've never put aside even one afternoon to play what you already have, you are seriously considering going all in again on the new Kickstarter for more expansions that the odds say you won't play either? How is that not insane?

Im trying to understand the "value" you are talking about? what enjoyment you are getting out of the KD:M expansions you already have at the moment? Have you put together the miniatures? Have you painted them? Do you like to read the lore? Or is it just some sort of ocd obsession with having to collect everything?

The value of this Kickstarter isn't in the discounts. It's in what the game update and expansions mean to you. If they are just going to sit on a shelf in their boxes with the first generation expansions, I'd sincerely encourage you to skip this Kickstarter completely and just schedule some time to play the game to see if you even like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
At most you should be getting the upgrade pack. Seriously. If you never played KDM. Why bother dumping another thousand dollars

That said. Perceived value of a thousand dollars is extremely individualized. So I can't judge you on what and how you spend your money without a very specific set of parameters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
I would definitely hurry up and try the core game before the ks end, use mini proxies if you have to.

You can still at the very least make your money back by selling, since you bought it during the first cheaper ks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ronnfeldt
Australia
flag msg tools
Before any of us can give any real advice, I think we need an answer to one question. Why haven't you played a game yet if you were an original backer in the first kickstarter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I know it sounds crazy.
But 2016 just wasn't a gamer year for me. Too many games got too little time, if any at all.
So my plan is to get KDM on the table soon and probably play it as a solo-hobby thing. That should ensure more time out of the closet.
I will definitely try to get it on the table before the campaign closes.

I picked up the 777 pledge simply because it was available at the moment I checked the campaign. It looked like the only real deal for existing backers, and it had limited spots.
Now, it looks like several of the new expansion are only really coming to life if bought together and played in a campaign. Or at least the campaigns seem to increase the value of individual expansions.
So unlike other threads I have read where people want to commit "x" amount of money or only get "x" amount of expansions, I am kind of working my way backwards:
- what expansions can I safely drop without hurting possible campaigns?
- what expansions could I buy if I chose to ignore the campaign options? I take it there are some that are not related to campaigns and some that are simply good to use even outside a possible campaign.

Oh, and thank you to all who have come with constructive replies. They are very much appreciated!
It is a lot of money and I am reading every reply carefully.
I still cannot make up my mind. blush
I even have an interested buyer, so all options are still open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well nobody really knows what the new expansions full entail or how they interact. Some are just art or the barest sketch of contents.

The sparse info on the KS updates is about it.

So you are asking for people to guess about it, the same way you would be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.