GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,268 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

6 nimmt!» Forums » Sessions

Subject: 8 players, 8 rows and a lotta photos! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: nimmt-variant [+] [View All]
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
After melting everyone's brain with Power Quiddler, we decided to go with Take 6. As per custom, we laid out 8 rows for 8 players (the game is a lot more fun and a lot less chaotic when the number of rows is at least close to the number of players). We also only dealt 9 cards per player: the size of everyone's hand doesn't matter nearly as much as the number of rows.

After a couple of rounds the rows got dangerously full, and the group collectively started to get fearful. This was right at the time that E arrived and took my place on the table, allowing me to snap away with my new camera.

It's quite possible that V didn't fully get the strategy, and she unfortunately took the brunt of the costliest rows. This is one of the reasons I also recommend playing "Take 5" rather than "Take 6": if you eat a row, you're not necessarily out of the game, making the scoring considerably less chaotic.

With 8 rows, you also have to be much more careful to double-check where cards go, as it's a lot easier to miss a row that deeply alters the result, and as a result Er found herself explaining many unpleasant surprises to V.

V wasn't the only one who miscalculated: by the end of the game, E managed to manuver just about everyone into eating a full row, and as a result won the game with only a single point (he had the "1" card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana More
United States
Garden Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
we laid out 8 rows for 8 players (the game is a lot more fun and a lot less chaotic when the number of rows is at least close to the number of players).

This is the first time I've heard of this variant. With more than 5 players, 6 nimmt is largely a crapshoot, played mostly for laughs. I'm looking forward to trying your variant. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
themore5@earthlink wrote:

This is the first time I've heard of this variant. With more than 5 players, 6 nimmt is largely a crapshoot, played mostly for laughs. I'm looking forward to trying your variant. Thanks!

Yes, you'll see that it retains a large percentage of the tactical play. I also suggest doing "Take 5" rather than "Take 6", making rows not as costly but causing them to be taken more frequently.

With extra rows, you may need to reduce the number of cards dealt to each player. This is no big deal and doesn't seem to affect play at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Franke
Germany
Nuremberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sightreader wrote:

I also suggest doing "Take 5" rather than "Take 6", making rows not as costly but causing them to be taken more frequently.

Can you explain what you mean by "Take 5" instead of "Take 6"?
In the original rules you only ever take 5 cards when you place the 6th and leave your card behind to start a new row.

So your variant would rather be "take 4", wouldn't it?
Or did I misunderstand the way you are playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
caesarbgg wrote:
Can you explain what you mean by "Take 5" instead of "Take 6"?

Yes, that's all I was saying: just change the max length of the rows. I think the original Take Six (where you are penalized 5 cards for playing the sixth) is a little too tough to come back from unless a lot of rows are being taken all the time.

Thus, the variant (Take 5) suggests max row length to be 4 cards, whereupon the playing the fifth takes the other four. It doesn't become a random grab-fest because we've increased the number of rows to be equal to the number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.