Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My second playing. This was rougher as a three player game. When you put up an item for auction, there is a greater chance that no one will bid - forcing you to take the tile and lose your role as auctioneer. Consequently, you need to be even more cautious over what you place for bid. If you offer something you *don't* need, you could get stuck with it and also not get any revenue.

In fact, money was so tight for me this game, it was the deciding factor. I became hamstrung during the 2nd and 3rd epochs, unable to complete either of two critical buildings. This snowballed, because I was not producing ceramics and losing out on much income.

When I got an eight point connection early on, Dave went mildly nuclear because Mike did not prevent me from doing so. Dave was convinced that he was now out of the game. Well, you know who won. Indeed my cash problems left me rich in tiles, but unable to produce several which would have put me over the top. At one point, we realized that I failed to use my Bank to give me a $1 credit toward producing a bonus chip. Oh man - so many times $1 would have made the difference!

I think that Michael Schacht has produced the sort of game he has become known for - one that is fun and challenging, while also being very simple and reasonably short. It is probably his best since Web of Power. I do agree with some others that this may not have lasting power. It is, after all, just about auctions and scoring, and lacks the flash of brilliance of the diplomat scoring system that keeps Web of Power so unpredictible. OTOH, I suspect it will just be a few months before we see a simple expansion to the game released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.