Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm preparing to play our first game of AF, and it will likely be with 5-6 players. What are the expansions I should include at minimum so we have enough options but not overwhelm everyone with new stuff?

I'm pretty sure I'll need Factions. I guess the question is: do I need Outer Belt?

(I appreciate that many people don't recommend AF at 5-6 players...but let's keep those discussions in the other threads that have already talked about it at length. I'm just interested in the best setup for 5-6 players. Thanks! )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Carey
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For five players, I'd say use the Outer Belt, especially if they are new. It plays more like the base game. Factions makes it a distinctly different game. Some may like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeattleDan wrote:
For five players, I'd say use the Outer Belt, especially if they are new. It plays more like the base game. Factions makes it a distinctly different game. Some may like that.

Oh, hm, I hadn't considered using Outer Belt and leaving out Factions. That's interesting. Would it work with 6 players, too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To play 6 players I think you need both expansions, well owning both gets you the 2 extra players, but never thought about not using the rest of both expansions.

I would say Outer Belt is a must, so that players have access to other resources when the main board is clogged up and you can get resources easy most of the time in the Outer Belt. Then again Factions has some too, but depending on which packs you added to factions may limit those. You could hand pick the player factions to add resources from all those you own.

But I would throw it all in. Some people adamantly oppose playing 6 players, but I have done it in less than 2 1/2 hours. But have had a game last almost 4 as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions! We played 6 and I think both are definitely needed.

Side note: We modified the Outer Belt a bit because it was starting to be a pain scrolling it almost every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play with 5 or 6, be prepared for a lot of downtime!

My sweet spot for this otherwise great game is 3 or 4. Never again with 5 or *gasp* even 6! wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
If you play with 5 or 6, be prepared for a lot of downtime!

My sweet spot for this otherwise great game is 3 or 4. Never again with 5 or *gasp* even 6! wow

Unfortunately, that was also the conclusion our group came to. Not likely we'll play with 6 again. There are just better games at 6 that we can play with a lot less downtime.

But, the game was fun nonetheless! Definitely need both Factions and Outer Belt, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schmitzer
Germany
Garching
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this several times with 6 players and really enjoyed it so far. Downtime is a little bit of a problem but its still ok.

The only real problem in a 6-player-game is the limited colonist hub, because there are only rows for 4 players and the first players always occupies them and stay there till the end of the game. You sure can win without being there but i dont like this luck-element.

Any idea how to fix this? Maybe open one row for each player?

Edit: Found the solution here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1398572/solved-56-players-o...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Factions rule book:

Factions rule book wrote:
With five players, the Colonist Hub docking ports are “freeform”, like the Solar Converter. Ships may use any docking port and each ship docked earns one colony track advancement. Players are still limited to three ships docked at the Colonist Hub and only one colony working toward launch.

If all of the docking ports are occupied, no new ships can dock at the Colonist Hub until some of the docking ports become unoccupied.

The colonies themselves are also “freeform” in that they are not limited to staying on one track. If advancing your colony would place it on a circle that is already occupied, just slide your colony to a circle on a different track in the appropriate position. If the circle you need is occupied on all tracks then you will need to adjust the number of ships you’ve docked to position your colony on an unoccupied circle.

If all of the launch circles are occupied and your ship is on the sixth circle, you may launch by docking one ship and immediately paying the one fuel and one ore fee.

In all cases, the three-ship limit still applies. If you already have three ships at the Colonist Hub then you may not dock a fourth ship to advance to an unoccupied circle or to launch your colony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
If I ever played with 5 or 6 players I would just print out extra colonist hubs for the players so everyone still has there own. I think the only reason that's a rule is that game salute didn't want to increase the price by adding 2 more rows on a nice little board or an overlay with 6 rows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.