Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Notrevealing
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first play of this produced another epic ending, from the same 4 players who brought you this. We're all smart people who respect each other & get on well, so playing Pandemic is always a fun experience with the group regardless of how it goes - there is no alpha-player problem.

After a hasty read, I explained the rules and we got on with it, just the 4 epidemics as hey, it's our first time. We had two people with water purification skills. This was really helpful sometimes - eg we wanted to treat somewhere that had 3 cubes in it, but it was hard to fit the time in, so instead we'd drop off two purified water tokens when we got close. This was often more efficient too as it would protect against 2 draws (unless another city in that region was also drawn). We also took great joy in building an epic rail network, aided by 2 events - build any 2 tracks & build any 3 coastal railways. Yay for trains! Oh, and collecting cards in a sensible manner. We did that too, when we weren't busy using the new actions...

But before we knew it, the last epidemic came out, and it turned out we had 5 turns left of the game; but we still had 3 diseases to research! Perhaps we had been too blasé earlier in the game, and got carried away with building railways and cleaning water suppliers. We hadn't been completely inept thought - 2 diseases were all lined up to be researched, we just had no-one lined up to do the reds. The player who would be ending the game (sailor) was about to find the yellow cure, yet also seemed to be the best-placed to find the red cure, as she had 2 red cards and, crucially, 2 turns remaining. After a full 10 minutes or so of discussions we finally solved the problem!

Agronomist : was in the north-west. built a railway to the hospital, travelled to the south coast on our awesome railway, rode out into the outerlands and built a black hospital.
Sailor : was in the black interior. Moved to the coast, sailed to Alicante (where I had built a hospital last turn), researched the yellow disease and sailed with myself to Gijon.
Me (R.A> Scientist) : Gave Gijon to the sailor (now had 3 red cards). Travelled the whole length of Spain on the fantastic railway, built the railway segment needed to connect the black hospital (built by the Agronomist on her turn), then travelled back to Madrid on aforementioned railway.
Politician : in 1 action, moved to the hospital built by the Agronomist and connected via railway by myself. Found the black cure. Took the train to a town he had - used his ability to get a red card. Took another train and have it to the Sailor (now has 4 reds). This required 5 actions but the Agronomist had the +2 action event.
The Agronomist : nothing much to do, so put out 9 lots of purified water.
Sailor : Get train to Madrid. Took 5th red card from me. Took train to red hospital. Researched red cure. Wins game with 0 cards left on draw pile (and only 2 red cubes)

Yeah! Cue high-fives and handshakes all round. I can tell you the feeling of saving 3 countries is just as good as saving the world is in regular Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite a close finish! Well done.

Now let's see how you do on a full 5 epidemic game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
Awesome! Solving these types of tricky problems is always a highlight for me.

PS Sounds like your politician took six actions, not five. Still fine of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Notrevealing
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you're right. Maybe I'm forgetting something. Anyway, it was all fine as you say.

We've played it twice since (2p with 5, 4p with 4) and won with more ease than this first game. I'm not entirely sure why. Extra thoughts...

- The Politician is awesome. Can pass cards around without having to get the players together... great, as it's harder to get around in this game (until the end when there are railways everywhere). He's been in every game we've played so far - will be interesting to see how we do without him.
- It feels great when a purification token gets taken off and you were the one who placed it there. You've saved a town some disease - and it's a clear case of actions earlier coming to fruition now
- Trains are fun!
- Having lots of diseased cities close together can be a blessing rather than a curse. In the second 4p game there were 4 cities in one region that all kept coming through the deck. I treated/purified stuff for my first 4 or so turns, and barely moved - I could just chuck more water in & use my rural doctor skill (similar end effect to purifying).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.