Subject: Scoring questions -- Updated simpler format rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
H Chapman
United States
Lansdale
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I am hoping somebody can confirm the scoring of this example.
It shows a few things not covered in the example in the rule book.

Park (A) -- 2 points for 2 adjacent residential areas.
Commercial Area (B) -- 1 coin for 1 adjacent residential area.
Commercial Area (C) -- 2 coins for 2 adjacent residential areas.
Cultural Area (D) -- 4 points (1+3)
Industrial Area (E) -- 11 coins (4+5+2) & -2 points for 2 adjacent residential areas.
Industrial Area (F) -- 3 coins & -1 point for 1 adjacent residential area.
Transport Tiles -- 4 points (2x2)

-----------------------------------
Parts of the scoring above that are not in the example in the rule book:

1) What happens when there are multiple shields/coins icons in a single cultural/industrial area?? The scoring section of rule book is not helpful -- and by using the word "icon" it seems to imply that cultural/industrial areas might only score (or, worse, only have) one icon in them.

"Each cultural area gives as many victory points as printed on its icon."
"Each industrial area gives as many coins as printed on its icon."

In the above example, I just added all the icons together in each area. Is this correct??

2) Does Residential Area (R) lose 1 point for being adjacent to Industrial Area (E) and another 1 point for being adjacent to Industrial Area (F) or is the loss for a Residential Area limited to just 1 point total regardless of the number of adjacent Industrial Areas it has??

The rules state: "A player loses 1 victory point for each residential area adjacent to one or more industrial areas." Taken literally, this seems to say that a residential area will only lose 1 point regardless of how many adjacent industrial Areas it has.

Using this, Industrial Area (F) would not score -1 point for being adjacent to Residential Area (R) since Residential Area (R) already scored -1 point for being next to Industrial Area (E).

But the player aid scoring tile shows: "each industrial area scores -1 victory point for each adjacent residential area." This clearly indicates that a residential area will score -1 point for each and every adjacent industrial area.

In the above example, I chose to go with the player aid scoring tile. Is this correct??

3) I really think the rules should be more consistent with regards to transport icons and should talk about areas instead of tiles. If the rules said that all quarters of a tile with a transportation icon are considered part of the same transportation area, then the area rules would apply: 2 or more adjacent tiles with transportation icons would, by definition, form a single transportation area -- and scoring would be simple: score 2 points for each transportation area as long as there are at least 2.

Oh, and the scoring aid tile really confuses the issue, but..

Regardless, just asking: did I score the transportation icons correctly??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Miłuński
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. Thanks a lot for your questions and feedback. It will help us to correct the rulebook for next prints of Capital!

1. It is correct.
2. You should follow the rules in this case. You simply count residential areas whoch are adjacent to at least one industry.
3. You did score the transport correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H Chapman
United States
Lansdale
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Filippos wrote:
Hello. Thanks a lot for your questions and feedback. It will help us to correct the rulebook for next prints of Capital!

1. It is correct.
2. You should follow the rules in this case. You simply count residential areas whoch are adjacent to at least one industry.
3. You did score the transport correctly.

Thank you for confirming items 1 and 3 and for clarifying item 2.
So, this should be the correct scoring for my example??

Park (A): score 2 points (2 adjacent residential areas).
Commercial Area (B): get 1 coin (1 adjacent residential area).
Commercial Area (C): get 2 coins (2 adjacent residential area).
Cultural Area (D): score 4 points (1+3)
Industrial Area (E): get 11 coins (4+5+2)
Industrial Area (F): get 3 coins
Residential Area (R1): lose 1 point (2 adjacent industrial areas)
Residential Area (R2): lose 1 point (1 adjacent industrial area)
Transport Tiles: score 4 points (2x2)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arnott
United States
Tarzana
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, I love that you set up this example. I have a follow up question to totally clear this up for me.

If the R1 tile did not have a transport icon on it, you are still scoring 4, correct? It's tile adjacency not area, right?

Your example actually allows for both possibilities

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.