Trevor James
United Kingdom
Norwich, Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Carcassonne this evening and have played it many times before but a query arose about the use of the builder. If you place a tile to extend one of your cities but that tile also has a road which you claim - can you still play a second tile? It was said that because it was the road that is being claimed this invalidates the builder privilege and you are therefore not entitled to lay a second tile. Is this right? I contested it and thought a second tile could still be laid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
bcoot9 wrote:
We played Carcassonne this evening and have played it many times before but a query arose about the use of the builder. If you place a tile to extend one of your cities but that tile also has a road which you claim - can you still play a second tile? It was said that because it was the road that is being claimed this invalidates the builder privilege and you are therefore not entitled to lay a second tile. Is this right? I contested it and thought a second tile could still be laid.

Your question isn't very clear, so I have to make a few assumptions.

I assume you are saying that the player has placed the Builder in the city in a previous turn. I also assume the same player has just placed a tile that extended the city, which now contains the Builder, and the same tile contains a road. The player now wants to claim the road with another meeple. The question is therefore whether the Builder privilege of a second turn is invoked by doing so.

The answer is yes, it does. As long as the city or road that the Builder is on is extended, the player can take a second turn.

Quoting the rules (from my Big Box 2 set, page 6):

Using the builder: whenever a player places a landscape tile that adds to a city or road with his builder on it, he is allowed to take a second turn after he finishes the turn where he placed the tile that added to the road or city. Thus, after he places a follower (or not) and scores (if required), he takes another complete turn (places a tile, places a follower if he wishes, and scores if required). Then his turn ends. He may not take a third turn in a row!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor James
United Kingdom
Norwich, Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this and yes, you've interpreted my garbled query correctly (put it down to the lateness of the hour!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran Vasi
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Yeoster wrote:

Quoting the rules (from my Big Box 2 set, page 6):

Using the builder: whenever a player places a landscape tile that adds to a city or road with his builder on it, he is allowed to take a second turn after he finishes the turn where he placed the tile that added to the road or city. Thus, after he places a follower (or not) and scores (if required), he takes another complete turn (places a tile, places a follower if he wishes, and scores if required). Then his turn ends. He may not take a third turn in a row!

We played this for the first time yesterday; the instruction pamphlet in the expansion box did not state the player may not take a third turn and it was interpreted that the player could continue to take turns as long as the builder road/city was extended. Due to luck of the draw one player kept on "going". Thank you for posting the rules from the big box set - we plan to implement them correctly next game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.