Subject: Hardcore Mode (Stricter Temple & Tower Building Rules) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Orpheus
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot build a Tower in a Settlement if as a result it would link to one of your other Settlements with a Tower in it.

You cannot build a Temple in a Settlement if as a result it would link to one of your other Settlements with a Temple in it.

(If using Ships, the same could apply).

I've been playing this way (erroneously) and was disappointed to find the diminished hardship/tension when I found that I could build 2 towers immediately next to each other (each tower was built by a different settlement).

In this case the only circumstance where multiple towers/temples would be in the same settlement would be the result of hut expansion after building the towers/temples.

(This is based on the rules of the current/3rd edition - I'm unaware of the prior edition's rules).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Flames of Azure wrote:
(This is based on the rules of the current/3rd edition - I'm unaware of the prior edition's rules).

The first edition rules are the same, although less clear on this point. Thus, I also involuntary played this variant for some time, until I found clarification on the forum and was likewise disappointed. With temples, it doesn't make much difference, as it's usually easy to find another spot for them, but it does feel wrong to be able to build your second tower next to the first one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
I suppose the need for this variant depends on how agressively people play their tiles. In my games the island looks like a hole-riddled pancake with but one or two spots where a lonely tower stands. It is genuinely difficult to have two settlements be connected by the bigger buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
cymric wrote:
I suppose the need for this variant depends on how agressively people play their tiles. In my games the island looks like a hole-riddled pancake with but one or two spots where a lonely tower stands. It is genuinely difficult to have two settlements be connected by the bigger buildings.

Same here.

But what are the ships talked about in the OP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
An addition to the game in later editions.

I should add that with agressive placement the condition that you run out of huts also becomes viable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:

Deluxe edition comes with 2 ships per color.

to place the ship: you need to have a hole, surrounded on all sides (by exactly 6 hexes) of exactly level 1. has to be part of an existing village (so need a building on one of those 6 hexes), and no other ship in this village.

much less fun, imho, since it promotes very wide and flat building rather than compact and tall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
infomage27 wrote:
Tigrillo wrote:

to place the ship: you need to have a hole, surrounded on all sides (by exactly 6 hexes) of exactly level 1. has to be part of an existing village (so need a building on one of those 6 hexes), and no other ship in this village.

much less fun, imho, since it promotes very wide and flat building rather than compact and tall.

Most often I prefer a game as it was thought of originally without any expansions added. It often takes away some of the coherence/elegance and adds clonkyness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
infomage27 wrote:
Tigrillo wrote:

to place the ship: you need to have a hole, surrounded on all sides (by exactly 6 hexes) of exactly level 1.

I recently received an email response from Jérôme Grenda of Ferti Games, answering some questions I had about the expansions. I specifically asked about the Ships and how they could be placed. According to him, a Lagoon is an empty zone, entirely surrounded by fields and volcanoes of level-1 or higher.

infomage27 wrote:
has to be part of an existing village (so need a building on one of those 6 hexes), and no other ship in this village.

The Ship *does* need to be placed next to your existing Settlement, however you *may* place both of your Ships (the expansion comes with two Ship meeples) in the *same* settlement. A Ship is not part of a Settlement, so it may not be used to expand the Settlement, build a Temple, or build a Tower.

Jérôme Grenda email wrote:
As the ship is not a part of the settlement, we're considering you can have the 2 boats into the same settlement, because it's not help you to build a temple and you need time to create 2 lagoons so your opponent can block you if he's got his eyes open =)

infomage27 wrote:

I used to think so, but if you have the Deluxe version gameboard, you can play on the Intermediate or Expert side. The limited gameplay area kind of forces you to build the island upwards, making Lagoons harder to build while making Towers, and fields with multiple Huts, more of a viable option again.

But of course, if you don't have the Deluxe Edition extras, you probably don't have the Ships or Gameboard anyways...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
Most often I prefer a game as it was thought of originally without any expansions added. It often takes away some of the coherence/elegance and adds clonkyness.

The Ships are kind of take-it-or-leave-it (they are the only bits that would add "clonkyness," as you call it). But the rest of the Deluxe Edition extras definitely enhance the game.

--The three-volcano Starting Tile is great, making it easier to start building the island upwards.
--The 5th-player expansion is a no-brainer.
--And the two-hex tiles are a great addition as well. They allow you to build that elusive level-3 Tower on a compact board.
--The gameboard allows for three different sized playing areas: a "Beginner," a "Player" (intermediate), and an "Expert" size. Actually six areas, since each of the three has a solid edge defining the play area, as well as a dashed-line area that is 1cm (~1/3 of an inch) inside that. The official Variant has you using the dashed lines as the play area limit instead.
--Heck, I even like to use the First-Player-Spinner to choose who goes first.

All in all, the Deluxe Edition is a great expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.