Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Single player deck building. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Turner
msg tools
I was just recently introduced to deck building games, and then moved to a place where I do not know anyone. I have played Ascension, Boss Monster, and the DC game. Really enjoyed all three, and am looking for something similar, that I can play by myself.
I also have some MTG knowledge, if it matters.
Thank you, and have a great day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wyka
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zanz Reyes
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero Realms has some solo play functions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite is Baseball Highlights: 2045.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Toburen
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."
badge
"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."
mbmbmbmbmb
XenoShyft: Onslaught
XenoShyft: Dreadmire
Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game

All three of these are solo-friendly games in which you build up a deck to fight off an enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Press PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Friday

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play Ascension solo, it comes with solo rules. Once you start to win, it won't be that interesting though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Baseball Highlights: 2045 (great solo mode, you may try the app)
+1 Friday

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
TimTix wrote:
+1 Baseball Highlights: 2045 (great solo mode, you may try the app)
+1 Friday

+1 both of these, but more of a +1 (+1.1?) to Friday: small box, small price, made expressly for solo play, and a small footprint using the modified setup (look in the forums). It took me a while to get the hang of it but now it's my most played game and I still pull it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Peters
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Friday

Star Realms - you'll need to get the Gambit expansion or find some of the solo stuff online.

The Big Book of Madness - you'll need to play two characters, but it's a very fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
You might be interested in Aeon's End, wich can be played solo with 1 to 4 characters.

It plays great solo with two characters! Solo with one character is definitely challenging.

Although if you like random center lines (Ascension, DC, Legendary and Star Realms/Hero Realms-style) you might be turned off by the fixed market the game uses, a la Dominion.

Great deckbuilding game anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rita Chen
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Helionox is a small-box scifi deckbuilding game that's less often mentioned. It has some movement elements and very unique art. Solo mode, can be played with more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Phillips
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Razoupaf wrote:
You might be interested in Aeon's End, wich can be played solo with 1 to 4 characters.

It plays great solo with two characters! Solo with one character is definitely challenging.

Although if you like random center lines (Ascension, DC, Legendary and Star Realms/Hero Realms-style) you might be turned off by the fixed market the game uses, a la Dominion.

Great deckbuilding game anyway.

Yes! Aeons End! Love playing this solo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While deck-building is only a small (but central) part of the game, I just have to recommend Mage Knight Board Game, because it may be _the_ best solo board game.
Since you have some MtG experience, you should be able to handle the game's complexity.

Another option might be the recently released Arkham Horror: The Card Game (or its 'predecessor' The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game).
Note that these aren't deck-building games, though. They're deck construction games just like MtG.

Regarding actual 'pure' deck-builders, Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game is probably the best of the 'Legendary' titles.
I haven't played it myself, but Aeon's End might also be a good choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo K
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, you should seriously consider getting into LEGENDARY ENCOUNTER Series.

I am a huge Alien fan, and there are already such titles like:
Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game
Legendary Encounters: A Predator Deck Building Game

The two above I own, and I've heard there is also:
Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game

Both Alien and Predator are huge fun in solo mode. Also you can play coop with 2 or more players, or involve some competitive elements [Predator], or some suspense and secret agendas [Alien]. I thought I would play them solo only, but found myself actively searching for other players as they are extremely fun with 2+ players. I still played like 80% of time solo. I have Alien for like 6 months, and played mainly 2 of 4 scenarios, still eager to re-play them alone or with someone else.

--EDIT--

I almost forgot, ALIEN mechanics was even fun for someone who has not seen the movie! After Perfect Organism killed us in first scenario my friend's wife told me that I am more than welcome to visit them in the future with exactly this game. She didn't know how alien looks like before we played the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.