Subject: Passing your turn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Brown
United States
Houghton
Michigan
flag msg tools
In turn by turn play, can a team choose to "pass" their turn, and allow the enemy to take a second turn in a row? This might occasionally be a good strategic option, and "free turns" are already a penalty for surfacing.

Some people might say "surface", but that's three turns lost (not always what you want), and your sector is announced (never desirable).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thoranin Chaiyakam
Thailand
Chiang mai
Chiangmai
flag msg tools
Chubby Cat Boardgame Cafe Chiang mai,Thailand
badge
Because It's my dream. To became game designer. -Ono Midori
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any rule relate to this.

I usually allow to pass

But according to text I interpreted as "No, you can't"

But sometime I think it's bad idea to pass the turn in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Shepherd
United States
Adrian
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'd be hesitant because it could be abused. A team could move enough to charge torpedos, camp in the middle, and pass until they know where the other team is?

How often can you pass?

What if both teams want to pass?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturs Leščinskis
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
If I recall correctly, in rules it's stated that you MUST move and CAN activate a system each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Elmore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: I've not played yet, either version.

If the rules say that passing is not allowed in the turn-based game, then that question is answered.

I could see allowing a variant where passing is allowed, but it's the movement of the sub that powers up the systems, so if you don't move, you don't get power.

I see the difficulty of the game is that a sub cannot backtrack at all. It's like the light-cycles from Tron. You been there; you can't go back. So even if systems are not being powered up, there is an advantage to not moving. It gives you plenty of opportunity to cover a lot of space when you do move. A sitting-still sub would likely have an advantage over the incoming sub since the incoming sub will have one direction essentially blocked off.

So from my own ignorant position, I feel like allowing the passing of turns would be detrimental to the game, but I cannot fully know until I experience this phenomenon—hopefully I can tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Mitchell
United States
Blacksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
I suppose you could have a house-rule to utilize an unused Scenario system. Once the Scenario system is charged, it would allow you to "stand still" for one turn when activated. That would allow the strategy and mitigate abuse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.