Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
(Just a personal note for anyone who's interested.)

I haven't been very active these last few months, both on boardgamegeek and in working on game projects, all because of escalating housing problems. Four months ago I had a wonderful home in the mountains; today my wife and I have no permanent address.

First we were evacuated from the Loma fire, burning over four thousand acres of the Santa Cruz mountains. While we stayed with friends in the valley, the fire got within about a mile of our house.

But the real trouble was entirely manmade, and entirely illegal.
(Watch this segment from ABC channel 7 news.)

Our landlord -- a vexatious man by the name of Gilbert Marosi -- deliberately connected a contaminated water source to the drinking water for our entire neighborhood, all while the state was demanding that he shut it off. Fixing the problem would have been fairly easy: a few permits and a water treatment system, and everything would be fine. Instead, Marosi is lashing out at the government, saying that they're violating his civil rights by requiring that he only provide clean water. Meanwhile, his tenants have spent the last few months without water clean enough to drink or wash with.

Now it looks like the county's going to condemn the entire neighborhood. Everyone's going to lose their homes, and all for nothing.

I'm still reeling from all this. Reading the pages and pages of Marosi's unhinged rants against the city! the county! the state! has left me convinced that something is deeply wrong in this man's mind, and yet he has the power to harm so many people who have nowhere else to go.

If you're thinking of renting an apartment in the San Jose area, stay away from anything owned by Gilbert Marosi.

Still, through all this, God has provided. We had enough time to mourn the loss of our home, gather our things, and leave in peace. Our friends and family have been so good to us, taking us in and making us feel at home when we needed it the most. We've been sad, but we've been comforted. We've been without a kitchen, but we've never gone hungry. We've been afraid, but the fear is gone. I'm confident that good will come of this, but it will take some time.

If you're reading all this and want to help, send a donation to whoever fights homelessness in your area. If you're sleeping indoors tonight, give thanks for the roof over your head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd F
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very sorry to hear this, Joe. Best wishes for a speedy and just resolution in 2017.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hoefer
Germany
Hambuehren
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear you lost your home. I wish you and your wife all the best!

I know this sounds silly but sometimes living through hard times lets you emerge strengthened and hardened for the future. As you said, you found help in your family and being helped in hopeless situations means you have friends and people who care for you. That is a thing many a person cannot rely upon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed this post Joe. Wishing you the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon
Germany
Passau
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wish you all the best. Hopefully you will find a proper (your own) home soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mordor
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's awful Joe! I'm glad to hear how God has provided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.