Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
Experienced players, in your opinion which inventors are best for players new to the game (and perhaps new to more complex games) to use?

Perhaps there are some that are easier to grasp how to use effectively.

I'm sure the inventors are mostly balanced or it comes down to style and gameplay choices, but I've seen a few comments about particular inventors being more powerful or harder to use and I thought it would be good to have a thread dedicated to the topic.

The theme and art of this game are so appealing I think I can hook a few casual/beginner gamers into it but I'll only have one shot. If I can grease the course by steering them toward favorable inventors that might help the game get back on the table for a second play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd give a new player the wright brothers or nikola tesla.

Both of them are relatively straightforward and forgiving, and the wright brothers are probably the strongest of the inventors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Kaiser
Germany
Kriftel
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to the above, additionally i would say that Graf von Zeppelin may be a good fit as well since he gives you constant movement which may be good for new players since they already need to concentrate on a lot of things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would avoid the ones that don't have producing dice as one of their options (e.g. Margaret Knight, though she's a favourite of mine).

It's common for new players to forget to get dice income, and/or to forget to install parts with movement powers, so I'd be paying attention to them on the first couple turns to see whether they fall into those traps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orin Bishop
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of the inventors produce dice and can use these dice to power their starting propulsion card, and this was intended to help ease people into the basic mechanics/tactics of the game. I'd steer away from inventors like Carver who don't start with a functional combo like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Ragaert
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've found that Edison, Tesla and Einstein are relatively easy to compete with. They're not going to win all of the time, but they'll never lag behind which is what you want to avoid with new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks everybody for the input, very helpful!

mind_ranger wrote:
I would avoid the ones that don't have producing dice as one of their options (e.g. Margaret Knight, though she's a favourite of mine).

Interesting how this inverts the question to be "what are the inventors to avoid at first?" Going through the inventor cards with this in mind it looks like there are 4 or 5 to avoid. So I can probably let people have free pick and just make sure those 4 or 5 aren't the picks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ramsey

North Dakota
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
LordOrin wrote:
Many of the inventors produce dice and can use these dice to power their starting propulsion card, and this was intended to help ease people into the basic mechanics/tactics of the game. I'd steer away from inventors like Carver who don't start with a functional combo like this.

just got this game for Christmas. My wife and I brought it out to play through everything so that we'd have a better grasp of it.

I really enjoyed the game!

My wife commented several times on how much "game" (all the components) you get in the box. She was like "how MUCH was this thing?"

Can't wait to play it with more people.

Thank you for the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Harbaugh
United States
Roxana
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like using the ones that have "smooth motion" already on them makes it easier to get through the terrain hazards you can add cards with standard motion through the draft then it's just the point of powering them at the right times

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.