Subject: Fire Teams rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have a rifle squad and a heavy machine gun in the same (or adjacent hexes) I know I can use the rifle squad as the basis of my fire team and then add 1 to my FP for the machine gun. However can I do it the other way around and have the machine gun as the basis of the fire team, adding 1 to their FP for the rifle squad?

If not then why would you ever add the machine gun to a fire team as they would be better off firing on their own wouldn't they? At least the higher FP ones would be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to maximize the firepower from a fireteam, you choose the single highest FP 'piece', be it squad, team, or (non-ordinance) weapon, as the base FP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all. As it turned out my squad wasn't in range so I couldn't add them to the fire team anyway so the MG fired on it's own, and missed twice!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Boutilier
United States
Smyrna Mills
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew,
If you ever want to try a vassal game of CC let me know, either live or pbem. it's become my game of choice. I played over 15 games just pbem in 2016. And, I'm home all day today if you want to vassal it!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tasmanuk wrote:
If not then why would you ever add the machine gun to a fire team as they would be better off firing on their own wouldn't they? At least the higher FP ones would be.

You're asking why would you use a firing piece of lower value to determine the strength of your fire attack, rather than the highest value of in your firing group? Answer: you wouldn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
tasmanuk wrote:

You're asking why would you use a firing piece of lower value to determine the strength of your fire attack, rather than the highest value of in your firing group? Answer: you wouldn't.

The full context was:
"However can I do it the other way around and have the machine gun as the basis of the fire team, adding 1 to their FP for the rifle squad?

If not then why would you ever add the machine gun to a fire team as they would be better off firing on their own wouldn't they? At least the higher FP ones would be."

Since he can (use the machine gun as the base) the "if not" part of the question is not relevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
tasmanuk wrote:

Technically ... although a rare case ... you might consider not firing the higher FP machine gun if you only had a handful of cards left in your draw pile and you know that you had not seen the "Jam" result yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, maybe I didn't understand the question.

Often the reason you combine your pieces into a fire group is because you're taking opportunity fire and you're only allowed to fire once. Yes, there are lots of cases where if you only can take one shot you would combine all of your firing pieces, but if you can take take multiple shots then you would prefer to fire separately.

Another reason for taking one shot rather than multiple shots, even with a Fire Order, is if you are the attacker then time is generally not on your side, and taking a single shot burns significantly fewer cards, especially if there are several defending units in the target hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.