Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a musician I've been in a life-long search for those aesthetic moments in performance where my emotions are taken to places I've never been or to that place where I like to be taken. They are rare, the really great ones. But they happen - and when they do, it is like a drug and you want more.

Board gaming also offers this same, but different, quest. When everything comes together in a game that will transport you to a place beyond the mechanics, rules and cardboard.

A few nights ago my 11yo wanted to play Stronghold 2nd with me. I played it once with his older brother. He wanted to defend, so I set out to teach him the rules.

Normally a heavy game like this is played and taught with me offering strategies and clarifications along the way. Almost like a street football game where I'm full-time quarterback for both sides. I'll play my side hard, but I'll also offer best options to beat me and explain why I made the advance I did and point out the weaknesses in his defense I was seeing and taking advantage of.

So we went through the 'hours' rules and then one pass through each of his rooms and a few descriptions of my attack abilities and rules... then we started.

To stop the narrative here... this was a game he was able to pick up very quickly. By round 5 he was almost convinced I'd beat him and he was able to swap defenders and make a critical snipe all on his own... then round 6... and by this time we were both so worked up and emotional he actually offered to end it in a tie and put it away. He had saved round 5 and I had to regroup in round 6 for a final assault in 7. I knew it was close and had really only two chances to win. He was convinced I'd win, I was convinced he'd figure how to save himself. We were both very invested.

He won! I was so happy! Watching him really play his options well throughout the game. After round 2 I knew I wasn't going to be helping him anymore and I was really going to devote my energies to beating him from my side only.

It is a play through we retold and stories we won't forget. These are the board game moments we strive to have and that only happen a few times but are the reason we continue to play. Pride in his abilities was probably the biggest emotion this game brought out for me but heck, it was an amazing play through of this game by any two people.

What fun!

My
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is moments like this that I'm really looking forward to with my kids. Oldest one is only 19 months old, but she loves chucking dice for us when we get something to the table and she hasn't gone to bed yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ross
Ireland
Cork
Ireland
flag msg tools
The mysteries about how we evolved should not distract us from the indisputable fact that we did evolve. -- Jerry A. Coyne
badge
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. -- E E Cummings
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes being a parent all the more special.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.