Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Story telling games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andi Woods
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"A future is something that you make yourself. You have to believe in it."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all I am unsure how to describe specifically what I am looking for, but I was curious if there were any other examples people could think off. I was trying to find more games that revolve around a team that are great for story telling etc. Just games similar to Patton's Best, B-17, B-29, Picket Duty, Target for Today, Silent Victory, and Ranger etc. Basically I was looking for a game that tells a great story that you don't have to worry too much about tactics and takes you for a ride!

I appreciate any help if there is anything that I am missing!
3 
 Thumb up
0.04
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Enemy Coast Ahead: The Dambuster Raid!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Green Berets: Vietnam allows you to plan and execute a bunch of missions. Kind of a wargamey dungeon crawlwer.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
The Ambush series games tell great stories. But there are more decisions than the other examples you cite... also Hornet Leader, where almost all the crucial decisions are made in the planning stages.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfy Burger
Mali
Bamako
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Codeword Cromwell: The German Invasion of England, 8 June 1940 would fit the bill.
6 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maverick wrote:
The Ambush series games tell great stories. But there are more decisions than the other examples you cite... also Hornet Leader, where almost all the crucial decisions are made in the planning stages.


There's also Open Fire which uses the Ambush system but you command a M4 Sherman platoon.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Ambush, it tells a great story and you get really involved in the fate of your cardboard soldiers.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Pariseau
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Victory Point Games States of Siege Series does exactly what you describe. I think Empires in America (second edition) is the best of the lot, but many have other favorites. Pick a subject that interests you and give one a try.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this on another thread earlier today - Raid on St. Nazaire tells a great story on each play.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Legion of Honor big on narrative, but in an individual, and not team, fashion.

Oh, and Space Infantry, if you're playing the campaign game.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All my wargames tell stories, some better than others!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43. Get the Das Boot soundtrack and play it in the background.
5 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfy Burger
Mali
Bamako
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
All my wargames tell stories, some better than others!


And when you stop playing, you get the second half of War and Peace.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Taylor
Scotland
Kintore
Aberdeenshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Legion of Honor and The Hunters. Both great.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
The Great Silicon Valley
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Three of the best WWII solo man to man combat games ever made.

All three are about leading a squad through enemy held territory and creating a narrative.

1. Nuts! Final Version
2. Ambush!
3. Warfighter: The WWII Tactical Combat Card Game
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
https://rpggeek.com/

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rabidkiwi143 wrote:
Hello all I am unsure how to describe specifically what I am looking for, but I was curious if there were any other examples people could think off. I was trying to find more games that revolve around a team that are great for story telling etc. Just games similar to Patton's Best, B-17, B-29, Picket Duty, Target for Today, Silent Victory, and Ranger etc. Basically I was looking for a game that tells a great story that you don't have to worry too much about tactics and takes you for a ride!

I appreciate any help if there is anything that I am missing!


Many of the DVG games tell good stories, as their campaign oriented, and, like some of the games you mention, you're focused on the lives of your people/crew and the condition of their planes,tanks,helicopters,subs,etc.

Thunderbolt Apache Leader is one that I had great fun with.

Silent War is another [non-DVG] game that comes to mind. Again, it's focused on the campaign, but this time you are in the hot-seat as the theatre commander trying to manage all those subs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ranger is squad level and comes with a paragraph book
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Lewis
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
“Whatever you do, He will make good of it. But not the good He had prepared for you if you had obeyed Him.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
badge
"He died not for men, but for each man. If each man had been the only man made, He would have done no less.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second the votes for Warfighter: Special Forces and for Warfighter: WWII.

The games are essentially the same (though the base components are far nicer in the WWII version). The system is cooperative, rules-light, and can be played both solo or with a group. Each player has one or more individual soldiers to equip, command, and gain experience. Got a chance to play the WWII variant a few times over the holiday and think it might be what you're looking for.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hawkins
United States
Mooresville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
red_herring wrote:
I'll second the votes for Warfighter: Special Forces and for Warfighter: WWII.

The games are essentially the same (though the base components are far nicer in the WWII version). The system is cooperative, rules-light, and can be played both solo or with a group. Each player has one or more individual soldiers to equip, command, and gain experience. Got a chance to play the WWII variant a few times over the holiday and think it might be what you're looking for.



+1
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Up Front tells a great story and the rules aren't that bad, once you've got a game or two under your belt.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Teddy Ruxpin: The War Years

Sorry... couldn't resist...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Bodymore
Murderland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AlfyB wrote:


Love this one. Different, but in a good way.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Woods
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"A future is something that you make yourself. You have to believe in it."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone for all the various suggestions, I will keep them in mind as well!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
Avatar
mb
Peter Pariseau wrote:
The Victory Point Games States of Siege Series does exactly what you describe. I think Empires in America (second edition) is the best of the lot, but many have other favorites. Pick a subject that interests you and give one a try.


I totally disagree. These are all about optimization.
There's a whole lot of room for thought in them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.