Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Villages of Valeria» Forums » Rules

Subject: Confirmation on build operation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Beymer
United States
California
flag msg tools
I just want to confirm that when you do a Build action, your gold and resources become "locked down" until you next become the active player. This means not being able to "reuse" a "paid for" resource on a subsequent build turn before you become the active player. Or rather - only unused (no gold on it) resources are available for subsequent build turns until you become the active player and reclaim all your gold.

P.S. Two plays and like the game very much.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
danny kessel
Netherlands
Breda
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmb
That's how we interpreted the rules... so I noticed for instance, that it's mostly better to wait for the build action of someone else... or use a build action, when most people have spend their resources already, just so less people can make use of the follow mechanic.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That is my understanding as well. Also note that another player may place gold on your un-spent resources but that you reclaim that gold during your turn.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luigi
United States
Sunland
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We understood that as well. Played 2x and my wife and I love the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ummm, maybe I need to re-read, but I thought your resources only got locked down if another player put gold on it.
Gold you spend on your own resources goes back to the bank. I'm not sure how you're keeping track of if you or an opponent placed gold on your resource if your own gold stays there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grognard14 wrote:
I just want to confirm that when you do a Build action, your gold and resources become "locked down" until you next become the active player. This means not being able to "reuse" a "paid for" resource on a subsequent build turn before you become the active player. Or rather - only unused (no gold on it) resources are available for subsequent build turns until you become the active player and reclaim all your gold.

P.S. Two plays and like the game very much.


Correct.
And as someone else mentioned let's say the next player placed a gold coin on one of your developed cards, no one else can use that card
The first thing you do on your next turn is to take all the gold back on your cards and then take your action


ampoliros wrote:

Gold you spend on your own resources goes back to the bank.


No, all gold on your cards come back to you at the start of your turn when you are the active (leader) player

You pay gold to the bank when you recruit an adventurer
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This doesn't make sense. This makes the Tax action almost superfluous.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
This doesn't make sense. This makes the Tax action almost superfluous.


You start with 3 gold.
You are most likely going to need more gold because there are a number of 4 or 5 resource buildings and taxing is one way to get a gold (as the leader)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
Ummm, maybe I need to re-read, but I thought your resources only got locked down if another player put gold on it.
Gold you spend on your own resources goes back to the bank. I'm not sure how you're keeping track of if you or an opponent placed gold on your resource if your own gold stays there.


It's very simple.

At the start of your turn, any gold which is currently covering any of your building resources gets slid off and becomes your gold reservoir.

This means:
a. If another player used your resource, that gold that they put there is now part of your reservoir.
b. If you used your resource, the gold that you put there is back to being part of your reservoir.


So this means that if YOU use your resource, no one else can use it until your next turn. If you do NOT use your resource, then someone else can, but if one player does, then NO ONE else can until your next turn.

As far as your follow-up question about how the tax action makes no sense, how else do you plan to build buildings that require 4-5 resources? Or recruit adventurers? Does all of your development in the game rely upon getting the handful of buildings that generate coins for you?

So, to summarize:

You only lose gold permanently if:
1. You use an opponent's resource for a build action.
2. You use it to recruit an adventurer.
3. An opponent recruits an adventurer that steals it from you.
4. Some expansion cards will also cause you to lose gold.

Otherwise, you just accrue it.

It's important to bear in mind that if you reach a point where you have more gold than you have resources, you can either expend that gold to recruit adventurers or use that gold on other player's resources to build buildings, which may help you more than hoarding the gold yourself.

This game is about delicate balances in many cases.

2 
 Thumb up
1.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The OP (hi, Dave!) is correct.

Matt D's summary (quoted below) of how to get and why to spend gold is also correct. And I will just add that each gold in your possession (including those on resources) is worth 1 victory point at the end of the game.

hestiansun wrote:
At the start of your turn, any gold which is currently covering any of your building resources gets slid off and becomes your gold reservoir.

This means:
a. If another player used your resource, that gold that they put there is now part of your reservoir.
b. If you used your resource, the gold that you put there is back to being part of your reservoir.


So this means that if YOU use your resource, no one else can use it until your next turn. If you do NOT use your resource, then someone else can, but if one player does, then NO ONE else can until your next turn.

(...snip...)

So, to summarize:

You only lose gold permanently if:
1. You use an opponent's resource for a build action.
2. You use it to recruit an adventurer.
3. An opponent recruits an adventurer that steals it from you.
4. Some expansion cards will also cause you to lose gold.

Otherwise, you just accrue it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schultze
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, my friends and I have played the game always wrong then. We really thought that we can use Follow Build and use the gold that oneself kr another player has put on your resource. But this is wrong, have I understood it correctly. Therefore I can only follow when I have gold to spent on free resources - my own or that of other players besides the castleof other players. Is that rule interpretation correct? Many thanks in advance. Being earnest I have not found how to play the follow Build action correctly in the rules. And my apologies if I ask the question again, but I'm not sure that I have read the answers to the first post correctly.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, let me summarize this way:

If there is a gold on the resource already, it cannot be used.
If there is no gold on a resource, it can be used by anyone who places a gold on it when it is their turn to follow.

By definition someone leading a build will have all of their own spaces available (since they clear the gold off before they take their action).

Play runs sequentially from the leader in player order; so if I lead, and you follow and place a gold on one of my open magic slots to use it for your build, then Player 3 to your left CANNOT make use of that magic slot, as you have already occupied it.

And of course, another player cannot play on your castle's wild resource space; so from a strategic standpoint, if you want to tempt others so you can gain a gold, use your castle. If you want to reserve a resource slot to be able to take a follow action, then don't use your castle wild resource if you can avoid it when leading.

Does that clear things up?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schultze
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A little bit
Ok, I take take following with me: no one can use a placed gold on a resource, not ever! You only can use Build Follow Action if you have gold to place it on fresh resources.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geschrei wrote:
A little bit
Ok, I take take following with me: no one can use a placed gold on a resource, not ever! You only can use Build Follow Action if you have gold to place it on fresh resources.


Yes. The resource is generated when the gold is placed. The gold then us not useable for anything until it slides off that player's card at the start of their next turn (whether it was used by them or someone else, and for a lead or a follow).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.