Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: How do you interpret BGG's ranking list? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Anderson
msg tools
Are there any tricks or strategies you use when looking up reviews on BGG?

As I'm new to the site, I seem to only follow a few. Read below:

- Games with large IP's tied to them (ie Star Wars) get overinflated because a portion of those reviewers love anything Star Wars.

- New games get overinflated because people can so easily succumb to hype, which naturally wears off over the years.

- Two player games get overinflated for God knows what reason.

- Coop games get overinflated because most of them are completely broken. I kid, I kid, don't bite my head off. (Not really)

- I tend to give more credence to games with alot of views/reviews, especially if it doesnt have Star Wars or Lord of the Rings in the name, because the ultimate vote is with our dollars.

- I'm weary of highly rated games that only have a relatively low number of reviews, because I think theres a Last of the Mohican mentality with those people.

What am I missing? Do you do anything similar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't focus so much on how 'good' other people consider a game to be. I read reviews to learn what the game is like, and then determine if it's the type of thing I'd enjoy. Games are massively subjective. Reviews & ratings are a bunch of subjective opinions, and you have to form your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Men_In_Boxes wrote:

You are using rankings to something they are not well suited for.

You should find what you like instead of trying to go with what people like on average.

Ratings are just an indication of some very general quality of the game. They are not enough alone, in addition you need to like them for them to be suitable for you, and your group needs to like them to be suitable for the group.

Men_In_Boxes wrote:
- Games with large IP's tied to them (ie Star Wars) get overinflated because a portion of those reviewers love anything Star Wars.

We are many years ahead of the times when IP was a cash-grab. IP is a double-edged sword. Although it is easier to get people to try games with their favorite IP, a bad game is a bad game. Bad enough and it is easy for the fans to be extremely disappointed and show it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I make purchasing decisions I watch every video re iew I can find, maybe read a popular review, then last resort is to sort through ratings. For me again, player count and target play groups play a huge roll.

Bottom line, get many opinions and you know yourself best. If your new to the hobby, you'll buy games now that later you won't like as much...It happens.

Edit: my favorite reviewers are...
Rahdo Runs Through - general sense of the game
Drive Thru Review - a deeper dive into the game

There are many others, but they don't consistently synch with me like the above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
read the comments for a game instead of looking at the ranking number. you might actually get some useful information that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kochenower
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use rating to check a base line, if it under 6 then it not likely anything i will continue researching (unless it only has a handfu).

I then will watch playthroughs and read reviews find out if it is a fit for my family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the BGG rankings as a rough idea of quality. Or at least some measure of assurance. In the top 200, say, there's probably few that qualify as, "bad games." Doesn't mean you'd like them or consider them good. But within their genre, they're probably ok. So if you're looking for something new, and the type of game sounds good to you, they may be relatively safe.

Beyond that, whatever. People give ratings for whatever reason under the sun and there's a near-infinite number of threads of people discussing how they do it, how other people should do it, what they mean, what they should mean, and how everybody else is wrong and they don't mean anything.

So. Welcome to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Men_In_Boxes wrote:

Another thing I noticed is that longer, heavier games get, on average, a higher review than shorter, lighter or filler-y games.

For me, a high rating doesn't automatically mean I'll like the game, but a very low rating does encourage me to see if there are other games that fill the same niche that might be better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
- Two player games get overinflated for God knows what reason.

Actually, I've noticed the exact opposite: 2p games seem to get lower ratings than similar games by the same designer. I think it's due to a prejudice against them, which you are showing here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO, the rankings are hugely flawed as an indicator of the best games by rank.

They are an outcome of a formula based on subjective ratings and subjective understands of their meanings - they represent a compromise which the majority of users is unlikely to agree with. They are a bit of fun.

Rankings are a fair indicator of games you should research, before researching the other games.

Any game in the top 2000 will be someones favourite game... and could be yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Violet Mackerel
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't pay much attention to rank unless Im trying to narrow down a short list of games to purchase or play (I aim to play games before buying whenever possible) or deciding which games to watch videos/reviews for next. I find the comments more valuable than the numbers people assign to the games on BGG, so I always skim through those. If I have their notes to go on, I often can get a sense of whether I'd be more likely to agree with the lower- or higher-scorers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpa Gia
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Every year I do a search for cooperative games to try to find ones my group will enjoy that I have missed. This system works pretty well for me.

I go to advanced search and click on "cooperative". Then I set year of publication to the current year.

Then I get the huge long list and sort by number of reviews and scan for any games that look interesting and/or have high reviews..

I find that works pretty well, then I look into the ones of interest in more detail and delve.

In general, I find anything with a lot of ratings and a score above 7 is definitely worth considering.

You definitely have to take scores of games with less than say 100 reviews with a big pinch of salt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.