Subject: Games on a plane rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Graham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm really sorry if this has been brought up before but I did search first and couldn't find anything obvious.

I've got a long flight coming up soon and wanted to get some suggestions for games that are playable on a couple of airplane trays. I'm travelling with my 65 year old mother whose game for anything and doesn't bat an eyelid at playing something like Dungeon Saga with my son and I.

I've looked up how big the trays are and it seems as though the play area is going to be about 16 inches (40 cm) by 9 inches (23 cm) and obviously we'll have two trays to spread out on.

I especially like immersive games with a good theme but will pretty much play anything.

Games I already own that should work:

Hive
Star Realms
Love Letter

Games I'm considering but wouldn't mind some input on:

Jaipur
7 Wonders Duel (I don't think we'll have space for this)
Arkham Horror the Card Game

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Yi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[SAMUEL L. JACKSON VOICE:] "I'm tired of these mother #^%@& games on this mother #^%@& plane!" [ /JOKE]

Sorry, your thread title was too too easy to do that to. You are right that 7 Wonders Duel would not fit comfortably. Haipur is a great game that could fit, as long as no turbulence caused any chips to get knocked off. That would be a great annoyance.

My experience has always been to play phone/tablet implementations of board games. For just 2 people, Small World, Camel Up, Elder Sign, and Patchwork areally gray pass-and-play games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mb
PizzaAroma wrote:
[SAMUEL L. JACKSON VOICE:] "I'm tired of these mother #^%@& games on this mother #^%@& plane!" [ /JOKE]

Sorry, your thread title was too too easy to do that to. You are right that 7 Wonders Duel would not fit comfortably. Haipur is a great game that could fit, as long as no turbulence caused any chips to get knocked off. That would be a great annoyance.

My experience has always been to play phone/tablet implementations of board games. For just 2 people, Small World, Camel Up, Elder Sign, and Patchwork areally gray pass-and-play games.

I did think of naming the thread Games on a mother%&*"ing plane :-)

Thanks for the input - maybe we could use a container for the chips? I might pick up a copy anyway to see how we might overcome the chip issue.

I like the idea of sharing an iPad and will check out Small World but I much prefer the tactility of cards and chips if we can find some games that will work practically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MuddieFunkster wrote:
Thanks for the input - maybe we could use a container for the chips? I might pick up a copy anyway to see how we might overcome the chip issue.

A container would be a good solution--once you collect a chip, you won't need it again until scoring time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Macady Smith
msg tools
For Sale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sparky
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. You can print a copy of Coin Age. It's a quick and light game. All you need is one sheet of paper and some change.

Coin Age Print & Play

And I think that it would be very interesting to see how turbulence affects a game of Rhino Hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The perfect game for playing on an airplane is . . .

Blokus Duo

With the two tray tables in the lowered position, the single piece plastic game board rests on both, leaving room on each table to place the box lids. In the box lids, players can spread out their pieces for ease of play.

My wife and I have played this game on airline flights numerous times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're interested in doing a little crafting, check out the YouTube channel for the board game makeover. He did a series called games on a plane where he modified games to make them airplane friendly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Mac345 wrote:

This says minimum 3 players: will it play well with just two?

Thanks Sparky, Bill, and Tim: I'll check out your suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linn Schifano
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
+1 Coin Age
+1 Jaipur
+1 7 Wonders Duel - My wife and I have played on a plane before. Change setup to: tray 1 - pyramid, war track, bank. Tray 2 - player tableau and coins. Assuming it is not an issue to reach back and forth, it plays just fine.

But for flights, the digital format really is the easiest (if that's an option for you).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Battleship or Red7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bianca G
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Come to the dark side - we have cookieees.
mbmbmbmbmb
We take Hive
Chez Geek
Diamant
No Thanks! with us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MeepleofaMan
United States
Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Qwixx would work, if the people around you aren't bothered by the dice rolling. Perhaps a padded dice tray (if they make such a thing).
Unfortunately it's only a 15 minute game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludvig Stigsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels: The Dark City any version Will do. I Love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Rodrigues
Portugal
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space

It doesn't need almost any space at all. Can be played at some distance from each other. I recomend the Ultimate Edition for improved replayability.

Edit: It seems you already have it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brogdon
United States
Moscow
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Yi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brog5108 wrote:

Enjoy seeing fellow gamers incarcerated?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snakes

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you enjoy worker placement, Mint Works is a good game with a very small footprint. It's available as a print and play. It's not the most turbulent friendly of course, but I thought I'd mention it, as there probably aren't many worker placement games that fit on two airplane trays

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ludstifer wrote:
Citadels: The Dark City any version Will do. I Love this game.

Thanks Ludvig - I've picked up a copy the original Citadels, just need to work out how to play the two player variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Bringer wrote:
Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space

It doesn't need almost any space at all. Can be played at some distance from each other. I recomend the Ultimate Edition for improved replayability.

Edit: It seems you already have it!

Actually I hadn't considered this because the box is quite big but I suppose I could just chuck a couple of the pads and pens in my bag with a tuck box for the cards - great suggestion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't know if it fits your need, but i find it intriguing.
Solitaire Big Book
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mb
RitterFips wrote:

I don't know if it fits your need, but i find it intriguing.
Solitaire Big Book

Wow! Intriguing indeed: shame you can't just buy it as I don't think I've got the patience or the inclination to create that myself...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Macady Smith
msg tools
MuddieFunkster wrote:
Mac345 wrote:

This says minimum 3 players: will it play well with just two?

Thanks Sparky, Bill, and Tim: I'll check out your suggestions.

Its not 'bad' with 2 players but its not 'good' either. It won't play as smooth and wasn't as fun for me. You could try and see how you like though. I think it might be a thing where it just depends on what you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.