Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Bouselli
United States
Carteret
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I use the we have ways asset card, and the top card is an outsider, do I still get that one as salvage?

We have ways is exhausted during the timed phase and the researcher takes the top card of the enemy deck as salvage.

The outsider disintegrates and can't be taken as salvage.

I'm making the assumption that you CAN take it since it's not combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
I could have sworn that this was addressed in the FAQ, but I can't find it it. Either way, since salvage is claimed facedown, it wouldn't matter whether or not it was an outsider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Outsider is a "being of almost pure energy".

The salvage of the board game is body + equipment (which includes weapon fragments) but in the Video Game, when you kill an outsider he entirely disappears. You only gain him as "salvage" if you use the Arc Thrower and capture him alive.

Though you don't get fragments when you use explosives in the video game, logics have it that if the top card of a deck gained as salvage is not the same as gaining the Outsider as salvage via use of Arc Thrower.

In this case you should take it as salvage (because the Outsider is alive, the weapon is retrieved intact and he is going to be interrogated by the Chief Scientist's staff... and Dr. Vahlen has "very persuasive methods".

By strict rule interpretation, Francisco is right: you get a salvage, whatever it is... and you didn't kill it in combat which is where you would be denied to grab it if victorious. Again, XCom is very easily moddable and you can use any rule you like.

Here we get the Outsider as salvage if killed with the use of Arc Thrower and we also get it when you gain it as salvage with the "we have ways" asset card.

In theory you could really rule out the Outsider from salvage entirely and this is one of the great sides of XCom: you make the rules if you wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.