Steve Zanini
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Just checking in to hear an affirmative response from those having played this many times. Please confirm my understanding that gold tokens can be "used in place of any colour gem for the purpose of purchasing cards" and then that converted die is returned to the general supply.

I'm not how we did this but something we read inferred that gold tokens could be used AS dice cubes. I believe that is incorrect and just need confirmation.

Ex. I select two red dice and have three gold tokens. I cannot "generate" an additional three cubes, I can only "convert" the two red dice into something else, correct?

Thanks
Zamboni

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zamboni wrote:
Hi all,

Just checking in to hear an affirmative response from those having played this many times. Please confirm my understanding that gold tokens can be "used in place of any colour gem for the purpose of purchasing cards" and then that converted die is returned to the general supply.

I'm not how we did this but something we read inferred that gold tokens could be used AS dice cubes. I believe that is incorrect and just need confirmation.

Ex. I select two red dice and have three gold tokens. I cannot "generate" an additional three cubes, I can only "convert" the two red dice into something else, correct?

Thanks
Zamboni

No, I think you are not correct. If I remember correctly, the gold coins are spent like wild gems when buying.

Note, this does NOT mean that a gold bag die is a wild die, rather the gold bag gives you a gold coin that you can use on a future turn (because by the time you get the gold coin, the window to buy a card is passed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W.
United States
Madera
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gold can be used as Wild Tokens.
Under Phase 2: Making Purchases It says "Gold tokens are wild and may be used in place of any color gem for the purpose of purchasing cards, and are returned to the general supply when spent."

So if you have 2 red gems and 3 gold, you actually have 5 gems if you wish to use all your gold and have the correct combination of gems used to buy the card. Remember though if using a special power from a previous card you own such as "Easily Impressed Noble" you won't be able to get the Infamy Token as you'd be using a gold as a white gem for the wild. Must be an actually gem die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zanini
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you gentlemen for your responses and clarifying the rules - much appreciated...

Zamboni

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zamboni wrote:

There are cards that let you 'convert' cubes into other cubes. For instance, the Alchemical Lab and Bondsman lets you convert a red die into another gem die (Lab), or into a gold bag (Bondsman). (A converter exists for each gem type.) This may be where you read that rule.

There is also the Legitimate Jeweler which turns a gold die into and gem die. This effectively turns this die into a wild 'gold token' to use immediately. It can be a blessing and a curse though. You get instance use of a wild, but often it's better to have that extra resource in a later round.

I find gold to be extremely important in this game. You never want to be stuck without at least 1 gold if you can help it. Because of the power of gold, Imbalanced Scales is an amazing card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.