Subject: Books, stories and Novels rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

I really like the concept and Darkness KDM have.

Does anyone know any good books with similiar feeling to KDM?

With Dark unreal worlds, monsters and wierd things in it.

Like really dark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the Elric saga and Corum saga by Michael Moorcock.

They are the grim fantasy that is the root of it all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italic Font
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the Necroscope Series by Brian Lumney if you can get it. It is set in 1980s Cold War era. However it goes to the kind of place you're seeking and it has monsters of the kind you're looking for (they're called vampires, but they're really not the traditional or modern kind). Book 3 is where the stuff you're seeking happens, but you should absolutely not miss out on books 1 and 2.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/66655.Necroscope

His work is heavily influenced by Lovecraft's, but with more emphasis on characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hellena Handbasket
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
Try the Elric saga and Corum saga by Michael Moorcock.

They are the grim fantasy that is the root of it all.

I second Moorcock. He's great and hits the darker side of fantasy quite well.

If you're willing to read graphic novels, the Berserk manga is high quality and a direct inspiration cite by Adam Poots, the creator of Kingdom Death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Art books by HR Giger, nothing else i know of vaguely resembles it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Chamoy
United States
Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many backers, in the Kickstarter comments, cited the manga Berserk as a clear influence on the game and monsters. Haven't read it yet but that piqued my interest and going to give it a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Judge
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you'd enjoy Clive Barker's stories. Especially, Book of Blood and Hellbound Heart (Hellraiser movies). They have the dark feel, though they typically aren't sword and sorcery.

Joe Hill, though I've only read one of his is pretty dark too. He's Steven Kings son so he learned from the best.

Monster wise, best monster story I've read was Steven King's IT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Lamprey
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolchock wrote:
Hello

I really like the concept and Darkness KDM have.

Does anyone know any good books with similar feeling to KDM?

With Dark unreal worlds, monsters and weird things in it.

Like really dark.

I just picked up this book.
https://www.amazon.com/Resurrectionist-Lost-Work-Spencer-Bla...

It's not so much an immersive story as it is a sort of anatomical bestiary of strange creatures and concepts. Both my girlfriend and I love KD and she loved this book so much, she picked up one for herself...
It may not be exactly what you're looking for but, I thought I would it at least point it out. :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll just stay home and play KDM.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The manga Berserk is a pretty clear inspiration, as someone else mentioned. Some of it is available animated, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ぶる ぶるっ
msg tools
Night fell and the hours dragged on, but still we murmured to each other of the King and the Pallid Mask, and midnight sounded from the misty spires in the fog-wrapped city.
badge
We spoke of Hastur and of Cassilda, while outside the fog rolled against the blank window-panes as the cloud waves roll and break on the shores of Hali.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just throw some of my favourites out here while avoiding the commonly referenced Berserk and Dark Souls...

Manga - Katsuya Terada's "The Monkey King" has been described as a buddhist version of conan the barbarian. It has a similar mixture of darkness and body horror to KD:M. It is a bloody retelling of Journey West (the inspiration for such tv series as "Monkey Magic, Dragon Ball, etc.).
Available in English through Darkhorse. Previews here.

Webcomic - some of Emily Carrol's stuff has a similar vibe, but Out of Skin is probably the best example of this. She Also has a book in print that is meant to be pretty great.

Games - Emma Carroll also worked on the dark story telling game The Yawhg.
I also find that the point and click game Tormentum has a very dark aesthtetic which is both unique while also being reminiscent of Giger and KD:M.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dying Tickles
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Italics wrote:
Try the Necroscope Series by Brian Lumney if you can get it. It is set in 1980s Cold War era. However it goes to the kind of place you're seeking and it has monsters of the kind you're looking for (they're called vampires, but they're really not the traditional or modern kind). Book 3 is where the stuff you're seeking happens, but you should absolutely not miss out on books 1 and 2.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/66655.Necroscope

His work is heavily influenced by Lovecraft's, but with more emphasis on characters.

Oh man, blast from the past! I remember reading that series as a kid. It definitely has the weird sexual aspects of KDM in the later books, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Manga: Anything by Junji Ito. Especially Uzumaki, The Enigma of Amigara Fault, or Gyo. It's horror; whilst it doesn't have the dark fantasy vibe, some KD:M elements clearly take inspiration from him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
RageGoblin wrote:
The manga Berserk is a pretty clear inspiration, as someone else mentioned. Some of it is available animated, too.
While the setting has one very large piece that is pretty obviously lifted from Berserk and a couple other clear references (e.g. the Dragon/Perfect Slayer) for the most part they're pretty disparate works in my opinion. There's some inspiration in terms of monster design too, I suppose, but neither Berserk nor Kingdom Death hold a monopoly on body horror monstrosities. To me, the main themes of Berserk (friendship, revenge, ambition, isolation, rage) and the main themes of Kingdom Death are pretty dissimilar.

Not saying people shouldn't read / watch (the 1997 version of) Berserk. It's pretty excellent, and is a work that is honestly approaching Tolkien with the latest arcs. Just... don't watch any of the recent stuff, it's a bad time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm reading a Space odyseey 2001. It's sooo good! And quite different from a movie that is obviously also awesome. I found that a first part of a book (about prehistoric people) is great as a way of showing how primitive tribes work and how they figure out their first tools made of killed animals. It really made me think a lot about early KD years

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The House on the Borderland

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a KDM-ish sort of world read http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/189147.To_Your_Scattered_...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.