Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
9 92 33 JOFA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the issues with making your pixelblock players is keeping the teams distinct; with 32 teams and about 500 possible matchups, this is not immediately intuitive. But I was bored today, so here's my suggestion for how to pick your teams.

Teams use the "standard" version (no special name on the filename) unless otherwise noted here:
Alt: Ankhs, Bighorns, Bulls, Falchions, Gorillas, Griffins, Kittens, Ragnarok, Rattlers, Spaceships, Trucks
Special: Chefs (RedHot), Pandas (BlackAndBlue), Pit Bulls (BlackAndYellow), Tridents (Alt2)

Some notes:

The Bulls wear their alts because they famously never wear their home uniforms, even if the jersey is illustrated that way.

The Spaceships are shown in their alts, but use your judgement: it's a matter of being close to the Pills (when alt) or the Regals (when standard). I chose alts because the Pills have more distinction on the jersey color.

The Gorillas and Rattlers are in their alts because there are too many Blue/White teams, and something had to give. As with Spaceships above, red is good for these two since their blue jerseys will differentiate them from straight-up red teams.

All that said, though, there are some places where I think things could be improved; thus, I present some alternate color schemes, mostly to create color/color pairs which are more easily (in my opinion) distinguished:

The Greenbacks flip to Green/Yellow to move away from the Ankhs.

The Pills go Red/Blue to move away from the Spaceships (not necessary if you prefer standard Spaceships).

The Rattlers go Blue/Red to move away from the Griffins (Rattlers alt) or the Omegas, etc (Rattlers standard).

The Revolt go Blue/Yellow and the Yellow Jackets go to their provided FullYellowJacket as a chain reaction move away from the Kittens, plus I like this Revolt scheme.

The Warriors go Blue/Silver (a subtle shift) because, as above, there are just too many blue/white teams.

Something not shown here, but that I think would be a nice option, would be a Purple/Yellow for Ragnarok (inverse of the Yellow/Purple currently chosen; the stock Purple/White overlaps with the Ninjas).

Finally, if you want to play around with your own league lineup, here's the PowerPoint file I used to create all this: DropBox link. Just right-click on images and send them to the back to see the other uniforms stacked behind them. Slide 1 is stock teams only, slide 2 has my custom ones.

Thoughts? Comments? Any chance of some extra team downloads? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
Thoughts? Comments? Any chance of some extra team downloads? whistle

Very, very, nicely done! I think you've definitely maximized the choices if you're only going to have one of each team.

I can confirm that there are already some additional team downloads in the works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Kale
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Excellent work, I wish I'd seen this before I spent an hour last night trying to work the best uniform combinations for myself! My list ended up looking a lot like yours; I really like the look of the Pills with the blue-on-red, and I agree that it'd be nice to have a version of the Ragnarok with yellow numbers on purple background, but then they'd look just like the Big Cats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
9 92 33 JOFA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General Kale wrote:
I agree that it'd be nice to have a version of the Ragnarok with yellow numbers on purple background, but then they'd look just like the Big Cats.
This is true, but Big Cats can then flip to their alternate color to fix that. That got too complex for discussing possibilities in the initial post (since it's not critical for clarity), but would give options for which way to go with that pair of teams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Lower
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I love a game of Up Front. Thanks WV!
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you so much! Your chart has been very helpful as I've made my way through Pixel Block team creation.

Three teams are done and 5 more are in various states of completion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
9 92 33 JOFA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Revolt alternate pixelblock colors
I've reached the part of the process where it's time to resolve what I'm doing with custom color schemes, and here's the first one to emerge from the pro shop:

REVOLT in their "Electric Blue" color scheme
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
I've reached the part of the process where it's time to resolve what I'm doing with custom color schemes, and here's the first one to emerge from the pro shop:

REVOLT in their "Electric Blue" color scheme

They look beautiful and ready to 'charge' into battle!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Lower
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I love a game of Up Front. Thanks WV!
mbmbmbmbmb

Your custom Revolt team looks fantastic!

As a cradle-to-January-12th Volts fan, I love your custom color scheme that nails their powder blues!

Nice job!

Was it easy to do it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
9 92 33 JOFA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not hard if your image editor will directly open PDFs (preserving page size, DPI, and the like).

The numbers are blocky which lets the magic lasso work well, so I just painted the yellow from the alt Revolt file over the white numbers in the base file, using the lasso to contain the paint to just those areas.

I've also done the Rattlers, which was more difficult, but that was because I had to lighten the navy blue so that my printer wouldn't keep rendering it as black (both on the top number and on the player jerseys). The number part remained straightforward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
9 92 33 JOFA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the preview of the five teams I created new colors for. In addition to tweaking the number color for the top of the block, the Rattlers and Warriors got lighter shades of navy because the combo of my printer and the label paper I'm printing on rendered the original shades as black no matter what settings tweaks I applied. Also, the grey for the Warriors' numbers is darker than their uniform color so that it's better distinguished from blue-on-white.

The Ragnarok purple, meanwhile, showed just fine on the standard paper I used for test prints but came out Big Cats Blue on the label sheet -- that's the sort of issue I've been working through. I fixed that by biasing the printer toward red, however, and left the file's color alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:

I'm digging the names that you used for the color combos! A few of those might just find their way into the next file update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Campbell
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just sorting the various pixelblock files I downloaded from drivetrhurpg and there are two files called Pills__alt_pixelblock.pdf, both with white text on blue background. There appears to be no copy of the blue text on red background one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
9 92 33 JOFA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The blue-on-red Pills is a hypothetical I came up with, not a provided scheme. I wound up not using it in my build (I think I used their blue-on-white).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.