Subject: After several plays, some more rules clarification requested rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Lewisville
TX
flag msg tools
Howdy,

I'm really enjoying teaching this game on Tabletop simulator and it's a lot of fun. I've played several games over the past couple of weeks, and have been able to get answers to many questions via the tutorial how to play video, these forums and the Kickstarter campaign comments page.

Here are some questions I have come across since then that I'd like to get answers to. Thank you in advance for your help!

Deflect - is it mandatory to reverse the direction of play? I know Counter-Spells are optional, but the wording on Deflect doesn't make it seem like an optional ability.

Frost + Counter-Spell - If the Caster plays a Frost spell and you later Resonate by playing another Frost card, but you are also Counter-Spelling...who gets your Frost card if you choose to activate the Frost special ability? The player whose turn was next originally, or the player who will play next due to your choice to activate a Counter-Spell?

Quake Extra (AoE) Damage - Is there a specific order the extra damage from Quake should be taken (should people draw their cards in a specific order)? Or just free-for-all card draw for the extra damage?

Mystic Ward - Do you draw a number of cards equal to the total players or the total number of *other* players? I know the Player symbol on the cards typically translates to "another player, not yourself", but I don't know how it works in this case. Essentially, does the person playing Mystic Ward end up with their original cards or their original cards +1?

Amplify + Fireball - Does Amplify actually reduce the damage to Shards + 1? Does it increase it to Shards + 3? Or does it remain the normal Shards + 2?

Amplify + Dark Mirror + Fireball - If a player plays Dark Mirror immediately after someone played Amplify and the spell being cast is Fireball, is the final spell damage for Fireball Shards + 1, Shards +2 or Shards +4?

Yes, we've come across a lot of interesting card interactions! I think that makes this game even more fun and exciting, but having to dig for clarifications detracts from that somewhat. Any chance of an updated FAQ or rules clarification section for the online rulebook in the future?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lewisville
TX
flag msg tools
One more question game up tonight:

Lightning + Counter-Spell - How does it work when you resonate with Lightning and choose to play a 2nd card? Which card needs to match the previous card in order to choose to Counter-Spell?

So if Player A plays a Lightning 3, then Player B plays a Quake 4 and Player C plays a Lightning 4 and resonates playing a Frost 5, can he Counter-Spell and send the direction of play back to Player B?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaias Vallejo
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kelson! Thanks for your questions. Here are the answers.

Kelson13 wrote:
Deflect - is it mandatory to reverse the direction of play? I know Counter-Spells are optional, but the wording on Deflect doesn't make it seem like an optional ability.
Yes, it is mandatory.

Kelson13 wrote:
Frost + Counter-Spell - If the Caster plays a Frost spell and you later Resonate by playing another Frost card, but you are also Counter-Spelling...who gets your Frost card if you choose to activate the Frost special ability? The player whose turn was next originally, or the player who will play next due to your choice to activate a Counter-Spell?
It goes to the players who will go next due to your choice to activate the counter-spell.

Kelson13 wrote:
Quake Extra (AoE) Damage - Is there a specific order the extra damage from Quake should be taken (should people draw their cards in a specific order)? Or just free-for-all card draw for the extra damage?
We do free-for-all, but you could do it in turn order if it bothers you.

Kelson13 wrote:
Mystic Ward - Do you draw a number of cards equal to the total players or the total number of *other* players? I know the Player symbol on the cards typically translates to "another player, not yourself", but I don't know how it works in this case. Essentially, does the person playing Mystic Ward end up with their original cards or their original cards +1?
You draw cards equal to the total number of players in the game. The person playing Mystic Ward will end up with original cards +1.

Kelson13 wrote:
Amplify + Fireball - Does Amplify actually reduce the damage to Shards + 1? Does it increase it to Shards + 3? Or does it remain the normal Shards + 2?
Fireball means total number of Shards +2. But it doesn't count for each Fireball played. All Amplify does is let you add a Shard to that MetaMagic card - so you are counting the Shard for counting damage here.

Kelson13 wrote:
Amplify + Dark Mirror + Fireball - If a player plays Dark Mirror immediately after someone played Amplify and the spell being cast is Fireball, is the final spell damage for Fireball Shards + 1, Shards +2 or Shards +4?
Same as above.

Kelson13 wrote:
Yes, we've come across a lot of interesting card interactions! I think that makes this game even more fun and exciting, but having to dig for clarifications detracts from that somewhat. Any chance of an updated FAQ or rules clarification section for the online rulebook in the future?
We did post a new set of rules a couple months back.

Kelson13 wrote:
Lightning + Counter-Spell - How does it work when you resonate with Lightning and choose to play a 2nd card? Which card needs to match the previous card in order to choose to Counter-Spell? So if Player A plays a Lightning 3, then Player B plays a Quake 4 and Player C plays a Lightning 4 and resonates playing a Frost 5, can he Counter-Spell and send the direction of play back to Player B?
I don't quite understand the question here. Resonating means matching the card with the Caster token on it. Counter-Spell means matching the number of the last card played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lewisville
TX
flag msg tools
Thank you for taking the time to answer all those questions! Much appreciated.

Regarding Amplify, I guess I was interpreting the symbols incorrectly. Amplify doesn't change the base damage of the spell (which is typically either equal to the number of Shards on the spell (Lightning, Frost Wave, Entangle and Quake), the number of Shards on the spell +1 (Blades) or the number of Shards on the spell +2 (Fireball). The verbiage on Amplify reads exactly as if it were the damage for Blades (Shards + 1). So it appeared that it might change the base damage of the spell. It looks like that's not the case.

It seems you're not really intended to change the base damage of the spell....rather just to add a shard to the Amplify card.

So Fireball is still total Shards +2, but there's just an extra Shard to count that is on the Amplify card. Blades is still Shards +1 and the other suits still have a damage equal to the total Shards played (with Quake having possible extra damage to multiple players). All Amplify is doing is adding a Shard toward the spell. That certainly simplifies things.

So Amplify + Dark Mirror + Fireball would equal a final damage of Shards +2, but there is a Shard on Amplify and another Shard on Dark Mirror which will be counted toward the total number of Shards played on the spell.

Regarding Lightning + Counter-Spell - I'll try to word my question better. If the spell being cast is Lightning (it has the Caster token on it) and a player plays a Lightning spell, it Resonates. This means that player can choose to play a 2nd valid card.

Caster plays Lightning 3.
Player B then plays Quake 4.
Player C then plays Lightning 4.

The Lightning 4 Resonates and Player C chooses to play Frost 5 as a 2nd valid play due to Lightning's ability. Does the Lightning 4 give Player C the option to Counter-Spell since it matches the previous played card's rank (Quake 4)? This would give him the option to reverse the order of play around the table, sending the spell back in the direction of Player B to make the next play.

The reason I'm unclear is because Player C has played a 2nd card that doesn't match the rank of the previous card played by either Player C or B....I'm not sure how or if this impacts the option to Counter-Spell. If Player C had chosen not to use Lightning's ability and play a 2nd card, it's clear he would have the option to Counter-Spell.

I hope that makes more sense.

I do appreciate the updated rules posted in August. The questions I'm posting don't appear to be addressed in that version, which is why I was wondering if it would be updated again in the future to reflect the additional clarifications made here (mine and others).

Thank you again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lewisville
TX
flag msg tools
Regarding Lighting + Counter-Spell. In the above example, I can see a few possible outcomes:

1. As long as the first card played by Player C matches the previously played card's rank (by Player B in this case), Player C can choose to Counter-Spell (ignoring whether Player C plays a 2nd card due to the first card resonating with Lightning).

2. As long as the second card played by Player C matches the previously played card's rank (by Player B in this case), Player C can choose to Counter-Spell.

3. Both cards played by Player C would need to match the rank of the card played by Player B in order to give Player C the option to Counter-Spell (essentially, the 1st card played by Player C matches the previous play - by Player B - and the 2nd card played matches the previous play - which was by Player C since they played 2 cards).

4. Player C doesn't get the option to Counter-Spell if they choose to play a 2nd card. They can only Counter-Spell if they abstain from using Lightning's Resonation ability of playing a 2nd card and if the card they played matches Player B's play (which it does, in this example).

There may be other ways to resolve this, but I'd like to know what is intended by the designer(s).

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lewisville
TX
flag msg tools
For now I plan on using option 1 above in the games I play. If I hear back with an official response to the contrary, I'll gladly change how I execute this going forward.

Option 1 seems like a simple and "in spirit" interpretation given what I know of the game thus far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Sronce
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
Option 1 is correct, but there's one more trick-

you can counter-spell your OWN spell with Lightning.

Play a Lightning 3, then play another card... say a Fireball 3. You've now tied the previous card, so you can Counter-Spell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lewisville
TX
flag msg tools
Ah, interesting! Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.