Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T Y
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My last board game play of 2016 was a three player, long game of "Lords of Waterdeep" with both expansions. My 12-year-old son N and my dad were the other players.

We'd had a recent run of wins by whoever happened to be the building lord, so there's been extra skepticism whenever the same person buys buildings early. My son bought buildings on rounds 1 and 2, leading my dad to proclaim that he was going to sacrifice himself ... by which he meant he would take Castle Waterdeep to be able to go first in round 3. Sure enough, on the first move of round 3, my dad went to Builder's Hall.

Meanwhile, I was looking for good plot quests that matched my Lord - the one who gets 4 points for each quest completed and each building owned with the Skullport symbol -- or so I erroneously thought. There weren't that many useful ones, but I did complete the one where you can return an extra corruption once per round whenever you return corruption.

In round 4, I picked up the Open Lord. We have a house rule that the Open Lord cannot play attack cards against other players (after all, the Open Lord is a diplomat, right?), so I didn't play it right away, as I had an attack card to use against my dad, who was right behind me in points. He warned me that he had a lot of attack cards, fanning open his collection of Intrigue cards, but I went ahead and took one of his wizards. On his next move, he retaliated by giving me a mandatory quest. I could've gotten rid of it with the Open Lord, but it was the one that required one of each type of adventurer and gave 2 points plus the return of a corruption, which in my case would be 2 corruption, so I went ahead and completed it.

Apparently that was not satisfying enough revenge for my dad, because on his next move, he handed me another mandatory quest. I took the last available spot on the board to play an Intrigue card and revealed myself as the Open Lord. My son N reminded me that I had to reveal my Lord card, which I did.

At which point, when I read out my Lord card, I realized that my Lord did not get 4 points for each Skullport quest completed and building controlled. It was 4 points for each Undermountain quest completed and building controlled.... devil

"Oh, you messed up!" N pointed out helpfully.

The game wasn't halfway over, since round 5 releases an extra agent, but I had two buildings and three quests that I thought were going to score 4 points each at the end, but that were going to add nothing.

I switched over to looking for Undermountain quests and buildings and managed to keep pace in the current score. Near the end of the game, my son picked up a 40 point warfare quest, for which all he still needed was 7 fighters. I sounded the alarm to my dad, persuading/manipulating him into moving to the fighter-gathering spaces, which he did but not without grumbling that the moves weren't helpful to him. (Except they were, since my son was already in the lead at that point - 40 more points would've been insurmountable.)

Before tallying corruption penalties, leftover adventurer/gold points, and Lord bonuses, my son was in the lead, I was second, and my dad was third. After tallying all those endgame points, my son won by 6 points over my dad, and I was in third. But my misreading my Lord card may well have cost me the game, as the ones that I scored no bonus for would've been enough for me to win by 1 point if they'd been the right kind. (Of course, there's no knowing how things would've been different if I'd chosen the right quests/buildings - would they have been as useful, or completeable, etc.?)

Afterward, my son N said to me, "Daddy, you kept trying to win even though you had no chance. That's good."

Well, at least I set a good example....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the long game, you can come here and milk the anecdote for thumbs and geekgold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Unplugged since... 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading this I can definitely empathize with you. Thanks for writing this little story so that the rest of us can take enjoyment out of your displeasure! On a positive note, its fantastic to hear that 3 generations of men are gathered around a table playing one of my family's favorite games. Gives me hope for when my children grow up to play games with us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
You know I made the same mistake the first time I got that Lord card...really felt stupid. Thanks for the post!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've definitely done that in other hidden information games. Always a forehead-smacking moment.

Thanks for the session report, great write up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.